main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Century of Economy
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject: Century of Economy   PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:17 am Reply with quote

A year ago I played Century of Empires. I said i had wanted it to be an annual event. Well, it's time to hoist the sails, run out the guns, ready your swords because it is time to begin!

In this first post I shall post the rules that I am using for the game, as well as some other details.

Firstly, as the name implies, this game is a fusion of the concepts of Economy Edition and Century of Empires. The same resources and values used in my Economy Game will be used for this game.

Secondly, all 6 of the major factions will be involved, with each player controlling two of the factions.

Thirdly, the 'no duplicates' rule is being partially overturned, a faction may have ships that share a name or similar name, but with different stats in their fleet at the same time.

Fourth, named crew are unique, when a version of a named crew dies, but a different version is available, you may purchase that different named crew.

Lastly, custom ships from any set, as well as RtSS pieces will be available for use.

Without further ado, I present Century of Economy!

Century of Economy

Set-up:
There will be around 24 islands, 18 of which will be wild islands. Islands will be about 2L apart from one another. I may use 3D islands, but that is not a certainty. Of the 18 wild islands, ten of them will be resource islands, they will produce resources, and resource islands will be face down MI’s whose effects are not being used. The same resources and resource value chart are being used from my Economy Game, with one difference.

The other 8 wild islands will be gold islands, they will not produce resources, but they will have gold on them. Gold islands will start with 5 coins on them, and will replenish to maximum capacity when Resources change value.

UT’s will be present at the start of the game, they can only be found on Gold Islands, and there won’t be that many to start.

Fleets :
(In order of game play)
Pirates
French
Spanish
American
Cursed
English

Note, the starting fleets have not yet been finalized, I will post the starting fleets with the first BR, which will be posted to this thread.

Island Upgrades:

GOLD ISLANDS

Colonies

Colonies may only be built on gold islands; they CANNOT be built on Resource islands. A colony is built to level one by docking two ships at the same already explored island. One ship must have 5 gold on it, and the other MUST have a colonizer crew. Building the colony counts as a general action, and ships cannot dock and build a colony in the same turn, unless they both have an explorer crew, or access to an extra action.

Colonies may be upgraded to a max level of five. Each time you upgrade a colony, you must have the required gold one on ship, and the colonizer on another.

Costs of a Colony:

Level 1: 5G+ Colonizer crew.
Level 2: 8G+ Colonizer crew+ level 1 colony.
Level 3: 11G+ colonizer crew+ level 2 colony
Level 4: 22G+ colonizer crew+ level 3 colony.
Level 5: 25G+ colonizer crew+ level 4 colony.

Colonies produce gold coins at random. This happens at the end of their turn, and counts as their action. A colony can only generate one coin per turn, up to its current level.

EX: A level three colony can generate one coin per turn, up to three coins max.

Colonies have defenses, in case of boarding attempts or bombardment.

A level 1-3 colony is considered a 2 mast ship for Boarding actions levied against it. A level 4 colony is considered a 3 mast ship, and a level five colony is considered a 4 mast ship. Colony cannons may shoot from any point of the island they are built on.

Level 1—3x 3L cannons
Level 2—4x 3L cannons
Level 3—2x 2S & 2x 3L cannons
Level 4—4x 2S cannons
Level 5—4x 2L cannons & 1x 2LL cannon.

RESOURCE ISLANDS

Settlement

A settlement is a flag or other token left behind after an explore action on a resource island; it simply marks the island as explored by that faction. Settlements belonging to other factions may be present on the same island.

Town

A town is an upgraded settlement. Building one on an island gives ownership of that island to whichever faction built the Town, only that faction my load resources from that island.

A town is built by paying 10G at your HI, loading the token onto a ship docked at your HI, the token takes up 2 cargo spaces, and then taking the upgrade to the island you want to upgrade. The upgrade counts as a general action, a ship cannot dock and upgrade a settlement to a town in the same action unless she also has an explorer crew aboard, or an EA available.

Towns have no defenses, and may be targeted by Boards and Bombardment. They are considered two mast ships in boards.

Ports

A port is an upgraded town. There are two types, Military and Trading, and both cost the same amount.

A port is built by paying 15G at your HI, and then following the same steps for town construction. A port token takes up 3 cargo spaces.

Ports have some defenses from Boarding and Bombardment. A Trading Port has no cannons, but is considered a 4 mast ship when boards are conducted against it. A military Port has four 3S cannons that may shoot from any part of the island it is on. It is also considered a 4 mast ship when boarding.

Military ports offer limited protection to friendly ships docked at them, ships docked at military ports may not be shot at with L range cannons. Ships may also repair at military ports.

Building a military port will shut down production of resources at that island. Construction of trading ports does not shut down production of resources.

Trading at Trading ports.

Ships may dock at trading ports NOT OF THEIR OWN FACTION, and trade resources on a 1 for 1 basis. They may trade for resources stored there, or for the islands resource. For every resource traded, pay the owner of the port 2g. Ships with Parley do not have to pay this fee.

Boarding modifications:

When a ship wins a board against another ship, in addition to the standard options, you may also eliminate or take resources that ship may be carrying.

Ships may initiate Boards against Colonies Towns, and Ports. This is known as a raid and is done by docking at the Port, Town, or colony in question and declaring hostilities. If a ship wins aboard against a level 3-5 colony or military port, they are razed and the island resets to an unexplored wild island. If a ship wins a board against a level 1-2 colony or town, the colony or town changes to match the nationality attacking ship. If a ship wins a board against a trading port, she may load as many resources from that port as she can carry.

If a ship loses a board to a level 1-3 colony, the attacking ship loses a mast and is immediately moved S away.

If a ship loses a board to a level 4-5 colony, the attacking ship loses two masts and a crew and is moved L away.

If a ship loses a board to a Port of any type, that ship and all her crew are captured and may either be turned in for gold equal to their point cost or may given actions as new pieces of a fleet

Shooting modifications:

Ships must be hit twice in the same shoot to eliminate a mast, this ability doubles up on ships that already have this ability. Ships with the ability to eliminate two masts in one hit, will eliminate masts as normal when they shoot.

Bombardments are shoot actions that target a colony, town, or port, in an attempt to clear it off the island it is built on. Colonies, towns, and ports do not benefit from the two hits rule.

To clear a colony the Bombardment must exceed the Damage point value of the colony being targeted. The DPV of a colony depends on its level.

Lvl. 1 colony DPV: 2
Lvl. 2 colony DPV: 2
Lvl. 3 colony DPV: 3
Lvl. 4 colony DPV: 3
Lvl. 5 colony DPV: 5

When a ship it’s a colony, the colony gains a damage point. These hits DO NOT have to come from the same shoot action. When the DPV is exceeded, the colony is destroyed and the island reverts to an un-explored wild island.

To clear a town, you must exceed the towns DPV. Once destroyed the island reverts to an unexplored wild island. Towns have a DPV of 3.

To clear a port, you must exceed the ports DPV. The port is destroyed and the island reverts to an unexplored wilds island. Both types of port have a DPV of 5.

Exploring modifications:

These apply primarily to resource islands. When an island is first explored, and the resource roll is made, if the exploring ship has an explorer crew, you may re-roll the resource roll ONCE. You must use the second result.

Abilities that remove explore markers remove settlements.

If a ship is re-exploring an island after a colony, town, port or fort was destroyed that ship may use the explorer’s re-roll because the island has reverted to unexplored.

Repairing modifications:
Forts may use shipwrights to repair one flag per turn, but they may be given NO OTHER ACTION that turn.

Colonies and Ports may repair damage points without a shipwright. Repairing a damage point takes up the colonies or ports action for the turn; they may not shoot, trade resources, or generate coins.

If a ship with a shipwright is docked at its HI, for one gold you may repair two masts

Fort Modifications:

Fort construction follows the normal rules with the following modification, their flags must be hit twice to be eliminated, these shots DO NOT HAVE TO COME FROM THE SAME SHOOT.

Forts are the only place where MERCENARY pieces may be brought into play.

They may be built on the same island as a COLONY but never a PORT. Building a fort on a resource island shuts down the production of resources at that island.

Resource modification:

Seventh Resource

There is a seventh resource, Crops. Crops have a fixed value of 2 gold, and are acquired by ships docking at friendly colonies and eliminating resources on a 2 for 1 basis. The level of colony does not matter, all colonies have this attribute.

EX: A ship with 4 lumber tokens docks at a friendly colony and eliminates all of her lumber tokens. She then loads two Crop tokens.

Launching:

Factions may launch new ships at the end of their turn. They can launch from their HI, level 4-5 Colony, Fort, or Port.

The minor privateer factions may only be launched at a Port.

Mercenary pieces may only be launched from forts.

Privateers:

The minor factions are the Privateer factions. They can only be launched from a Port, and are eliminated if they dock at a Colony, Fort or HI. They can however be bought back if eliminated in this way, by paying their point cost in gold.

Mercenaries:

Mercenaries may only be launched at a friendly fort, and they are eliminated and cannot be brought back if the dock at a Colony, Port or HI. They may dock at forts.

Blockading:

Blockading occurs when a ship docks at a Trading port and declares hostilities. All trading of resources stops, resource production shuts down and all ships docked at the port (except for the blockading ship(s)) may not be given actions. A blockade is lifted if the blockading ship(s) leave or are destroyed. A Trading Port may be blockaded by more than one ship. Hostile ship(s) blockading a trading port may load or eliminate resources from the Port or from ships docked at that port, up to their available cargo space.

Victory Conditions:

On the line is the title of 'best faction' until the game is played again. So the winner will be recognized (by me at least) as the best faction in the game.

There are two possible scenarios for victory

1. Last faction standing wins.

2. The faction with the most overall gold at the end of play wins. Second place will go to the most overall ships left at the end of play.

Any thoughts comments, concerns, post a reply! The battle reports for the game will either be posted here into this thread, or will be posted in a speerate thread. More likely I will post them here.

The ships are due to set sail no later than the 14th, stay tuned.

Last edited by xerecs on Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Hooray, time to play!   PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote

Great job! It looks like you covered things extremely well, and I think this could serve as a great guideline for other rulesets going forward. At this point, there are so many variant rulesets (especially for these two) that it's hard to keep track of them all! Smile

Just a few thoughts:
-The level 4 colony has 4 2S guns, which makes it seem susceptible to the many ships that carry a lot of L range guns. Especially when you consider the bigger jump in cost (11 more gold required to go from level 3 to level 4, compared to a differential of 3 gold between the other levels), the level 4 colony could have some L range guns.

-Interesting having the tokens take up extra cargo spaces... I could see that as a way to represent all of the supplies and manpower on the ship transporting the upgrade. Also, with less cargo for crew, the ship could become a big target, incentivizing potential convoys.

-Forts may be a bit too powerful for their cost/build requirements. They're considerably cheaper than colonies (level 4 and 5) and ports, and have extra defense. In addition, they can be built on colonies (which produce gold), which could lead to immense demand for more fort construction. You can also hire Mercenaries there. (Imagine Ramsgate on a level 5 colony! Shocked )
Are duplicate forts allowed? If not, that could limit their potential abuse.

-Are crops just a simple way to save cargo space? Going back to your lumber example, the only way to benefit at all from crops is to have the exchanged resource be worth 1 gold. Any other value, and you're losing money on it. The crops take up 2 cargo spaces instead of 4 and are still worth 4 gold total, but it will be interesting to see if saving small amounts of cargo (as well as the sailing aspects of it) is worth it for the fleets.

-Very interested to see how often blockades happen, since they still seem very powerful to me. Question: Can a trading port initiate a board against a ship that initiates a blockade? (You refer to both raiding and blockading as "declaring hostilities"; perhaps for blockading it should be declaring a blockade.)

-My only big concern goes back to your victory condition... I don't want another extremely passive faction to "win" the game by saving gold for an entire summer's worth of play. I still think points afloat (+ gold controlled, if you want) is a much better metric.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote

A couple things I forgot to mention in the main post:

The 'no duplicates rule' is being partially overturned. Ships with the same or similar name, but different stats may be used at the same time.

Named crew are unique, when a version of a named crew dies, but there is another version of that named crew, you may purchase that different named crew.

Custom ships from any set, as well as RtSS pieces may be used.

@a7,

True, level 4 colonies are probably susceptible the ships with abundant L range cannons. The defenses of the level 4 colony incentivize upgrading to level 5, thought I might give them a single L range gun. The jump in cost is signify the ability to launch ships.

No, duplicate forts are not being allowed.

I'm interested to see if blockades happen as well. They're more incentivizing than a board against a Trading Port. Also TP's cannot initiate boards against blockading ships. The only way to lift a blockade is to destroy the blockading ship(s) or if the blockading faction backs off.

Point taken. I may change the victory condition scenario 2. I'm hoping for victory condition number 1. Very Happy
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
A couple things I forgot to mention in the main post:

The 'no duplicates rule' is being partially overturned. Ships with the same or similar name, but different stats may be used at the same time.

Named crew are unique, when a version of a named crew dies, but there is another version of that named crew, you may purchase that different named crew.

Custom ships from any set, as well as RtSS pieces may be used.

I would add all of that to the main post.

Quote:
The jump in cost is signify the ability to launch ships.

Ah good point, I wasn't thinking about that.

Quote:
Point taken. I may change the victory condition scenario 2. I'm hoping for victory condition number 1. Very Happy

Me too, but if you guys fly past 2,000+ points, keep in mind the long "cool down" period leading to the end. It was accelerated in CG1 since I was able to play whenever I wanted once your fleets were mostly irrelevant, but it's not an easy task to finish these things.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote

Edited the main post to include everything I mentioned in the second post.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:22 am Reply with quote

The game has begun. I was delayed a little bit, but CoEC has begun and a BR of day one will come either later tonight, or tomorrow. Stay tuned......
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:50 am Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
The game has begun. I was delayed a little bit, but CoEC has begun and a BR of day one will come either later tonight, or tomorrow. Stay tuned......

Very Happy

What a great time to be a fan of these things, or even on this forum at all... tons of progress has been made planning the grandest game of all time, while another HUGE game is just getting started... Shocked Twisted Evil
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:08 am Reply with quote

A year ago CoE began, today Century of Economy began. While I was unable to start on the 14th as planned, I was able to begin roughly around the same time CoE began which is what I had hoped for. Now on to the action!

The first rolls for resource values were made, with a 6 and 10 coming up. The six meant that all resources were worth their opposite values, with Lumber being worth 6 gold and Finished Goods being worth 1.

The Starting fleet of the Pirates,
Sea Nymph
Paradox
White Rose
Here they are after their first turn. They have no crew at this point, which is not beneficial since they will be unable to re-roll for resources.

The Starting fleet for the Americans,
Frontier and a set of canoes (not pictured)+ Ralph David + Helmsman

The starting fleet for the Cursed,
Celestine + Master Scribe
Nightmare

The Starting fleet of the Spanish,
La Joya del Sol
La Santa Isabel + Dominic Freda

The Starting fleet for the Enlgish,
HMS Hyena + Explorer
HMS Hound + Explore+ oarsman
HMS Dover

After one turn of action, the southern hemisphere

The Pirates have found Lumber,

And Medicine, both good resources to have, and both reasonably valuable right now

The French have already returned and gone back out for some more, you can see the Metals pilied up on their HI.

The Dover moves out on the hunt for resources while the Spanish stop to look for some good old fashioned gold.

La Joya del Sol almost makes it back with a full hold.

Working together, the Cursed have found Lumber, a valuable resource right now. The fiends are pleased……

The English have found Finished Goods. While not very valuable at all right now, they could be later in the game. The Dover sails by the Hound, while the Hyena is off getting good old fashioned gold.

Speaking of which, the Hyena found Rum stranding her for a turn.

Looking directly North, the HI’s of the Pirates and Americans are in the fore ground, while in the North the HI’s of the French, English, Cursed, and Spanish are all fairly close. This could lead to an explosive situation given time….

Showing mostly Spanish and English with the Center island in the foreground. The top sails of the Nightmare are visible.

The Pirates bring back some lumber and medicine, a good start

The Dover strays far from English waters in the hunt for uncontested islands, already becoming short in supply.

The Dover found Metals! The English are glad for this since they only have a finished goods island and an empty gold island to draw from.

In perhaps the first combat of the game, the Pirates and Americans race for an un-touched island! The Pirates have no explorer, but are faster, while the Frontier has an explorer, she is just slower, and has worse cannons…..

The Pirates got there first! But alas they have no crew, and the Americans will dock and explore on their next turn, taking the best coins.
[img] https://s19.postimg.org/zevmfc7bn/DSC03945.jpg[/img]

The Cursed quickly call for help, summoning the Cyclone and Sea Monkey to aid in the hunt for resources.

The Americans are attacked by the Pirates, who want to steal or kill the crew of the Frontier.

The Pirates take out a mast, and are poised to win the board and kill Ralph David, when suddenly the Americans give the Pirates Relics, saving David!

The English continue to gather their low value resources, hoping that when values change, their fortunes will improve.

The Celestine has been busy, finding a metals island just to the south of the Cursed HI, she is returning from there with some resources while the Cursed spread out.

The Spanish are the first to explore the center island, comprised of two SD islands I received as a gift some time ago. Though they are two islands, for the purpose of the game they are functioning as one. Further, the small sandy part is the only place where a ship (other than a hoist) can dock.

In response to the hostility of the Pirates the Americans launch the Franklin with a captain, helmsman, and oarsman.

The Spanish try for a UT swap, but the time is winding down for the current values, and the Santa Isabel has a full hold of valuable lumber.

After a day of action, looking northeast, the Spanish and Cursed are in the Foreground; their HI’s not far off. In the upper north, the English and French uneasily share waters.

The southern part of the sea, with the pirates and Americans in the west and east, respectively.

Looking directly north, almost the entire ocean is visible, with the Americans and Pirates in the foreground.

That concludes the action for the First day, stay tuned for the next report!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote

Glad the game has started. It seems like the Americans and Pirates will be somewhat isolated based on the distances, relatively small width of the ocaen, and that barrier of islands and terrain near the middle. The Spanish had a whopping 15 cargo spaces to begin the game; I see them and the Pirates as the potential frontrunners early in the game, though if I was the Pirates (or any faction) I'd be busy launching.

May I ask who controls what factions?

I'd recommend punching out all the islands; it looks better and obviously the cardboard islands aren't exactly valuable or anything.

Who knows, we may even learn things from this game that lead us to edit or add to the World rules.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote

I might punch the islands all the way out, I left them like that so as to differentiate between gold islands and resource islands. I suspect I will be behind on reports, though that may not happen.

I control the English and Cursed. One brother controlls the French and Pirates, the other controls the Spanish and Americans. Aside from me, none of them are inclined to launch gold ships, unless they have too.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote

Flat or round earth?
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote

Flat earth.

I've fallen behind on BR's which is unfortunate since several exciting things have happened!

A couple spoilers:

Two factions go to war, bloody, bitter war.

The Biggest launching in any of my games.

Mega post coming soon!
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote

Sorry to mega post on you people, but it could not be avoided.

The Resources changed, with a five and 6 coming up, making metals and finished goods rather valuable. The English rejoiced, since they ad a finished goods island close to their HI.
The Spanish bolster their ranks by adding La Monarca. Here she docks at a gold island that is close to the cursed HI.

The Americans recover from their brush with the Pirates, but they have lost their chieftan, limiting what they can do with their canoes.

The greedy pirates converge on a lumber island, doing their best to soak up as many resources as possible.

The French move out looking for high value resources. They spy the finished goods island by the English, and prepare to make a visit.

The English are unaware of the French plans, and continue to go about their business of gathering resources. The Hyena and Dover are their main runners right now, with the Hound (in the background) supporting them.

The Pirates make for home, while the Americans eye them in the distance, debating if they want to engage them just yet.

The French descend on the Finished Goods island, much to the dismay of the English.

The Cursed bring in the Cyclone to help gather resources.

The Pirates go back out looking for more to fuel their empire……

The English head for home, and vow vengeance on the French for taking their resources.

A wider shot of the Cursed operation. They are excited, with some high value resources near them.

The Pirates are saving. Look at that stack of gold.

The Americans launch the Lynx

The Frontier approaches the lumber island the cursed have been going to. The Cursed voice their displeasure at the intrusion, but are willing to let it slide for now since lumber is not as valuable as Finished Goods or Metals.

The English launch the HMS Victor and the HMS Raven to protect their resource interests.

The Spanish split up to look for more resources and gold.

The Americans continue to search for resources.

The Spanish get in on the hoist business and launch the Buscador .

The Cursed are the first faction buy an island upgrade!

They load it up and set out for the lumber island and in no time flat, upgrade the island, giving sole control of it to the cursed.

The Pirates build the The Devil's Maw on a gold island, infested with Cannibals.

The Americans launch the USS Destiny, and the Minuteman.

La Monarca drains a gold island.

The Joya del Sol approaches the center island, looking pockets of gold.

The French find a lumber island, making lumber and metals the predominant resources of the game. Of the other resource islands, there are only two variants, the finished goods island near the English, and the Medicine Island near the pirates.

The French launch Le Bonaparte, but do not give her any crew.

The French have a significant stockpile of resources available to them, but they have not cashed any of them in.

The pirates go on a small spending spree, launching the Mermaid, Banshee's Cry and Zephyr to aid their gold efforts.

The French are drawing from their metals island close to home, they are amassing quite the stockpile.

At this point the resources changed again…..

Metals became the most valuable resource, with medicine and Lumber being close seconds,the value of Finished goods diminished exponentially, however. This would have been terrible for the English, but the cashed in their stores of finished goods right before the market changed, giving them a huge windfall. These current values will hold for rounds.

The French already had a vast store of Metals, and now eagerly seek more to add.

The Cursed call for more help, and launch the Rook's Folly, Demon Gate, Grim Reaper, Fiddler's Green, Fallen Angel, and Pestilenceto help gather the valuable metals.

The English also launch the HMS London + Lawrence captain and helmsman, HMS Lady Provost, and HMS Bolingbrokewith captain and helmsman. They also launch the HMS Lord Walpole and HMS Wycliffe.

The French test the English by sending the Bonaparte near one of their ships.

The Americans fire on the Pirates with both the Destiny and Minuteman, but they only succeed in taking out one mast on the Paradox.

The English sail their small battle fleet out to meet the French, who currently don’t have a single captained ship.

The French launch the Le Bonaparte + Capitaine Baudouin Deleflote, and La Geographe.

The French and English converge on the metals island, both factions want it, and the English are thinking of taking it, especially after what the French did earlier in the game, taking their resources.

The Cursed converge on a nearby Metals island, many of the ships going there have 4 cargo spaces available, so when the Metals are cashed in, it will provide quite a windfall.

The Pirates retaliate against the Americans, taking a mast off the Destiny via ram.

The Spanish continue to gather gold, both the old fashioned way and grabbing resources when they can.

La Monarca drains an island. The Spanish have designs for this island, especially since it is so close to the cursed.

The Franklin makes for her troubled fleetmate.

Things tense up as the English and French fight over the Metals island. The Bonaparte has already tasted the wrath of the London, Lawrence cancelled her S immunity and took off two masts. The other fighting ships are on their way.

The English are reaping the benefits of the Metals island as metal tokens being to pile up.

The English form a physical blockade of the Metals Island, to try and cut off French access.

The Cursed and Spanish middle sea, relatively quiet

The English blockade, from the north looking south

The French try to break the blockade, but the English swoop in and ram a mast off of the offending ship.

The French cash in their saved up Metals, gaining more than 400 gold.

The Cursed cash in their saved up metals as well, as resource values are about to change.

The Spanish are wary of the Rooks Folly and send the Santa Isabel with the formidable small gunship, Santos Romanos .

The Spanish end their turn by building Fortaleza Dorada

With their sudden riches, the French launch Le Superbe with captain and helmsman, La Corse + Amiral Stephan Dupuy , and Le Courageux, each with a captain and helmsman.

Over the course of two turns, the English purchase two island upgrades, and claim the Metals Island as their own, deny the French easy access to the Metals. However knowing that Trading ports are relatively defenseless, the English keep up their presence, and pressure around the island.

To accentuate their existing forces, the English launch the HMS Goliath, Cygnet and HMS Guy Fawkes, each with a captain and helmsman.

At this point, resources changed again, with much anticipation, the die were rolled……

Wow what a change! The one signifies that all resources are worth their face value. Lumber is the number on resource, and so now has a value of one. This benefits the English greatly as they have a finished goods island right next to them!
However all other nations, except the Cursed suffer, since most of them had been depending on the continued high value of lumber to keep things going, especially the pirates.

The English continue their campaign against the French, firing into Le Superbe, declaring war, as they take two masts from the French warship.

The London and Cygnet look to swap crew, with Lawrence hoping to come aboard the Cygnet, giving her some tough defense to overcome. However things did not go so smoothly for the usually coordinated English.

The Pirates look to overcome the recent change in resource values by bringing MASS QUANTITIES of low value resource in and hoping for a change later down the line. Here four of their ships have docked at a lumber island.

The Corse tires to stem the tide of the battle against the English, but winds up pinning herself, and only taking out one mast.

However, Deleflote gives the Corse a second chance and she does not disappoint, taking the final mast from the HMS Hyena.

The French seek to outflank the English, as more of their ships try to get into the battle area.

The English ram a mast off the Superbe, and then shoot another one off, using the Victor.

A wide shot of most of the battle, as well as most of the northern theater, with the English approaching, the Goliath, Cygnet, Guy Fawkes,Wycliffe, and Walpole all make their way toward the new English trading port and the French.

The Superbe flees, and the Corse takes her place, taking a mast off of the Victor.

The Bonaparte tries to get in on the actin and rams into the Goliath, taking out a mast. She is not worried because of her S immunity.

The Courageux tries to lend a hand, but misses with her cannons.

The Corse fires again into the Victor, taking another mast, overall a decent strike by the French.

However the English counter was equally devastating, the Cygnet pulled up behind the Goliath, but still within S and cancelled the Bonaparte’s immunity, which allowed the Goliath, Guy Fawkes, and Wycliffe to shoot at her, and derelict her! A huge blow to the French cause.

To further complicate matters, the Victor used her built in shipwright, and Lord Mycron to bring back her missing masts!

The Americans are the second faction to buy an island upgrade, and look to load it onto one of their surviving canoes.

The Courageux flees from the guns of the Lord Walpole and Wycliffe.

The French realize they’ve underestimated the English, and so launch La Ville de Paris with captain and helmsman, Mont Blanc, and Arrogant with captain and firepot specialist.

The Spanish also delve into the flotilla business, launching the Armada from their HI.

The Cygnet continues the campaign against the French, ramming into the Corse, cancelling her defensive ability, and managing to get all 4 shots in on the French warship!

However the French are able to gain a measure of revenge, taking out two masts on the Victor, again, and setting the Wycliffe alight.

With help from the Goliath, the Walpole sinks the Courageux! The first ships to be sunk in the game!

With some crafty maneuvering, the Wycliffe slips around the Arrogant, and tries to shoot her mast off, not knowing that the Arrogant has the same ability as the La Corse!

The Pirates go on a minor spending spree and launch several ships from their new trading port, which they built when no one was looking!
The new arrivals include the Fuchuan and Song.

The Pirates also purchased some HI expansions, you can see the massive stockpile of medicines they have.

The Santa Isabel takes the Armada with her on her way to the English Trading port in the North, the flotilla accompanies her to ward off any potential attacks.

Icebergs suddenly hamper the Spanish fleet, as a super berg made of two iceberg pieces slams into three of their ships, and forces the Cazador del Pirata onto a reef, further adding to her injuries.

Icebergs are also a problem for the other two northern factions, the English and French. Here on of them menaces both fleets and generally gets in the way.

The Arrogant hits the Guy Fawkes with a firepot, the war between the Englsih and French heats up.

The Wycliffe is also hit with a firepot, and a French schooner rams her, but fails to take off a mast.

Another French schooner rams the Wycliffe, but also fails to take off a mast.

The Ville de Paris swoops in and saves the Corse, towing her.

Mountains of gold on the Cursed HI, they are planning something…..

A wide shot of the Enlgish/French action. The Ville de Paris has pulled broadside to the Cygent, the Guy Fawkes has taken the Arrogant out of the active battle by ramming her lone mast off. In addition to this, she and the Wycliffe have eliminated their fire masts. The Victor is still in it, her bow is visible in the lower left, she is in spitting distance of the Ville de Paris, and has been able to survive because of her built in shipwright.
In the background the Superbe is repairing, and the French HI is visible, showing just how close the English are to the French.

The Battle from the north, looking south:

Mont Blanc fires away, but only hits enough times to eliminate one mast.

The French tear into the Cygnet, ramming and shooting with what few S range guns they have.

Still to come, the biggest launching of any of my games, eclipsing the English Mega launch from last year’s CoE!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote

Fast start to the combat! I thought the English would quickly establish dominance over that island, but the French are so close to it that it's easy to launch offensives from their HI (similar to the French fighting the Spanish in CG1).

Just a heads up, sometimes the pictures show ships that have been launched before you talk about them being launched. Not a big deal though.

If the French had 400 gold from metals, that's about 65 metal resources. I think the Pirates' strategy will pay off down the road, especially if they can avoid war in the meantime. I'll venture a guess that the Cursed have the mega launching.

Nice shipwrecks!
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote

Thanks! I cobbled the wrecks together, right now they have no significance, but maybe down the road.......

The Pirates strategy probably will pay off, if they can keep the Americans off of their back. It's unlikely that either faction would launch a significant battle right right now, but.....Who knows?

Ah, blast. My brothers aren't quite used to the launching at the end of a turn thing, and I sometimes miss launches. I'll see if I can post again later today.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: