main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Miniature Review of the Month! (CONTEST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Miniature Review of the Month! (CONTEST)   PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote

Once upon a time, the miniature reviews section thrived. Reviewers could be found throughout the land, feverishly writing about their favorite game pieces. Each year saw many dozens of reviews posted. Comments and posts were thrown around in this time of plenty. Competition and controversy were rife, with debates, a war being fought, and then-prestigious awards handed out.

Then the dark ages slowly moved in. Reviews became less and less frequent, and much of the hoopla and attention was contained to the fleets section. Some of the best reviewers disappeared from the site, likely to never return. This continued until the current age, an age where the reviews section is dormant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guess how many miniature reviews were written last year?

For an even more sobering statistic, consider that we've had 5 Miniature Reviews of the Week since the end of 2012. That's 5 new MRotW's in a span of almost 200 weeks! Shocked

Perhaps this effort of mine will be in vain. That's alright. However, while the reviews section is on the web, I can at least try to revive it.

Introducing: Miniature Review Challenge #1

The Challenge

-Write a miniature review of a game piece that has not been reviewed before. (use the search function on the MR page to find ones that don't have reviews yet) (one review per person) Added: If the game piece has been reviewed but the review is rather subpar (likely either short or with a rating of less than 3.0), you can still review it.

Deadline: July 31st

-The Reviews will be put to a vote in a poll where the community decides the winner.

Prizes: I will look at your wants and try to find things I have. If I cannot, we can negotiate something (such as a sealed pack or two or a custom island, etc). Also, if enough people participate, it is likely that the winning MR would become Miniature Review of the Week, which means you get 3 months of free Premium Membership! It's also possible that the reviews that don't win will also become MRotW. Lastly, the winner also receives bragging rights and the opportunity to host the next Miniature Review of the Month Contest! Very Happy

-Please post here if you plan to participate, and feel free to post a link to your review here or here.

Disclaimer: This is not meant to detract from the fleet challenges in any way.

Last edited by a7xfanben on Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote

I'm down. I have a couple ideas for pieces to review. Just to be clear, the winner would set the parameters for the next Review Challenge, like a word limit, or a theme, or something similar?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
I'm down. I have a couple ideas for pieces to review. Just to be clear, the winner would set the parameters for the next Review Challenge, like a word limit, or a theme, or something similar?

Exactly, it could be specific set, faction, etc. It is designed to be a month-long thing, especially with how long it takes to research miniatures and write reviews.
mathias01
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:58 am Reply with quote

I am quite interested. Over the next month I'll try to write something up.

Question: What happens if two people who entered choose and write a review on the same piece?

Also, is there something specific you want us to put in the title to signify it is for the challenge?
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote

I always loved writing these things (esp since 4 out of the last 8 MotW were mine heh)

I will enter, I hope. I tend to obsess when I write one of these, but I should be able to fit it in. Of course, might take me two weeks to pick a topic lol
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:06 am Reply with quote

mathias01 wrote:
Question: What happens if two people who entered choose and write a review on the same piece?

How about first come first serve? When you have found a miniature to review (that hasn't been reviewed yet, that's the limitation for this first one), claim it in this thread.

Quote:
Also, is there something specific you want us to put in the title to signify it is for the challenge?

Hmmm I didn't think of that. I'll certainly find the reviews, and this is more meant to revive the review section than to mimic the fleet challenge vibe (although I realize the similarities). If you do put something, keep the format the same. Put MRC1 (for Miniature Review Challenge #1) in parentheses at the end of the review subtitle. It would like like this on the MR page:

Davy Jones
Emperor of the Seven Seas (MRC1)
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:25 am Reply with quote

If we're calling dibs on pieces, then I call dibs on Carbon Charlie. I'll double check, but I don't think he has a review yet.
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote

You are good, he has not been reviewed, which is surprising.

I wanted to do a crew also, but the two I had in mind were already reviewed (and one very well so). I tried to find another interesting crew that wasn't reviewed yet, but I gave up =)

I think I will do a ship I had on my list to do anyway: Janissaries' Blood . I haven't reviewed a Barbary piece yet, and reviews of their 4 masters are severely lacking. There is a cursed piece I wanted to do too, but its not as interesting heh.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote

What else is gonna happen here?! Let's have more participants! Very Happy

(Sorry in a weird mood lol)

I made a relatively major mistake in the opening of the contest. Embarassed

If the game piece has been reviewed but the review is rather subpar (likely either short or with a rating of less than 3.0), you can still review it.

Just use your best judgment. If the existing review(s) is(are) decent, but you feel you can vastly improve upon them, don't let the restriction hold you back. I just want reviews of previously-unreviewed pieces or better reviews if past reviews were not up to relatively high reviewing standards of reviewing. Shocked Laughing (I think "Mr. Sparrow" is getting to me heh)
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote

I'm in. I'm reviewing the Grim Reaper.
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:27 am Reply with quote

ah man that one was one of the cursed pieces I was looking at! =)
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote

I've complete my review of the Grim Reaper.
lord_denton
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
What else is gonna happen here?! Let's have more participants! Very Happy

Well, of course I'm going to try, but when it comes to me there's a big gulf between my efforts and completion of the final product. Hopefully it's only time filling in that gulf, but sometimes things never quite get done. Embarassed I'll give it a shot, though. Very Happy

Great idea for a challenge, A7, thank you for taking the initiative. This should be fun!

Also, I'd encourage people that might not feel up to the task of writing a really long review to attempt a medium-length review.

Cannonfury's review of the Paul Revere is a good example of a medium-short length review.

Phymatine has a review of the HMS Gibraltar, which I'd call medium, maybe medium-long.

If you're feeling inspired though, try a long review like chasseur85's review of the Le Pique! For a four master or a really unique ship, you might call it medium-length, but we're talking about a one master here!

Yeah, that's another strategy if you're a bit daunted by the challenge - pick a small ship, or a cheap crew, or equipment, a Mysterious Island, or some of the UT's. It's not always the case, but they might be easier to cover than a four-master with a cool ability. If you're looking for an inspiring subject to write about, you might not even find it among the "good" pieces, but among the mediocre or the bad pieces out there. You can approach them constructively, or rip into them and explain why they're inadequate compared to other pieces. But, it's okay if you're not an expert on a particular faction and don't know all the combos. Give it your best shot!

Just some thoughts. Smile Let me know if any of my suggestions run against what you were intending to accomplish with the challenge, A7. Embarassed
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote

lord_denton wrote:
Just some thoughts. Smile Let me know if any of my suggestions run against what you were intending to accomplish with the challenge, A7. Embarassed

Not at all. I don't want anyone to feel intimidated by the contest or anything, especially considering the newer members who haven't written a review. You raise valid points.

In the end, the best review will win. Cool
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:08 am Reply with quote

i'll try my hand at a review, but since i don't play much- i don't think i can be very accurate.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: