main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Help determining when patents expire/etc

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Help determining when patents expire/etc   PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote

I've looked at the patents that Wizkids had/has a few times now. Being relatively young and rather inexperienced with this sort of thing, I have some questions:

-Is this the best place to go for locating the patents that are relevant to Pirates CSG?

On that list of 12, only the bottom/least recent 5 were filed before Pirates went into production. However, I can't seem to find much info on which patents are relevant to Pirates specifically.

I'm trying to figure out when the patents related to Pirates expire. I started with this, and also found this page.

This patent seems to list the first two (bottom in the list) patents of the 12 as being relevant to Pirates.

Then I went to http://portal.uspto.gov/pair/PublicPair and pasted 6,899,333 as the patent number with 10243980 as the application number. I don't really get most of the tabs, but based on the faq/information stuff in the links from a few paragraphs above, it seems that the patents expire if the maintenance fees aren't paid on time. The last day to pay the fee for that specific patent is less than a year away. Surprised (Don't tell NECA! LOL)

Also, patent number 6,899,332 has two expired "parents"; does that matter?

Also, it appears that anyone can pay the maintenance fees, even as a "guest". Shocked How does that work? Does the payer receive the right to the patent or does the company/legal entity still "own" it?

Is this research going anywhere or am I way off base?

Thanks everyone.

(By the way, as a member of this forum, you should read "How did they do it?" if you haven't already.)
wantkrakens

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote

Sorry ben but I don't know anything about legal work. I hope you find what your looking for
xeriousone
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote

I am moderately certain the issue of patents will continue for a good many years... Since Wizkids and WOTC were fighting over the patent rights for several years with no clear victory the patents will continue to be renewed as long as they can be. Yes, just to spite WOTC, Wizkids will keep the patent in circulation and WOTC will keep a claim over the concept to prevent anyone from getting any of the production rights.

I did look into possibly making a custom set at one point and came back to "It will cost more per set released than any one person will want to expend on a new set". You would have to make a full set of cutting tools equal to a polystyrene sheet to cut them into card sizes and pre-cuts on each card, add in a device to heat the cutting tools (the people who could tell you the right temperatures are not going to be found easy so add a round of pre tests for that into the cost), figure out a means of painting/coloring them, a means to seal the paint and finally a distribution system.
This is likely a dead issue even before you put it in the water...
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote

xeriousone wrote:
I am moderately certain the issue of patents will continue for a good many years... Since Wizkids and WOTC were fighting over the patent rights for several years with no clear victory the patents will continue to be renewed as long as they can be. Yes, just to spite WOTC, Wizkids will keep the patent in circulation and WOTC will keep a claim over the concept to prevent anyone from getting any of the production rights.

Thanks for the info... I'm not looking to make a custom set or anything, I'm just gathering information and doing some research.

Does anyone know for sure if what I was getting at in the first post is correct?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote

No reason not to unlock this one!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:21 am Reply with quote

https://assignment.uspto.gov/patent/index.html#/patent/search/resultAbstract?id=6899333&type=patNum

You can access the information from my links in the first post, but this site has the actual documents you can look at. It's amazing how much stuff you can find online! I don't understand much of it, but it appears as though the patents in question (assuming they are the ones relevant to Pirates, perhaps the license is the only thing that matters) are still in NECA's possession. (looks like they switched banks in 2015, IP "security agreement")

Confused
morgull

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:42 am Reply with quote

But... why they answer me this?

"Hi Jose, we no longer have the license. Sorry!"
xeriousone
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote

I suspect that due to the legal issues of the back and forth lawsuits between Wizards of the Coast and Wizkids for the ownership of this product that they are all playing hot potato with Pirates.
No one will claim ownership until someone tries to produce it, when someone tries to start an actual kickstarter they will get at least 1 C&D if not more (bearing in mind that at least 4 companies might want to claim intellectual ownership of this idea WotC, Topps, NECA and Wizkids (Ya Ya some of then own others)).
As to the
Quote:
We no longer have the license.
thing, I believe this is just an agreed upon standard answer for lackeys to feed the general public.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: