main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

 

bulletin boards

 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
The Battleship Fleet Challenge!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Yo ho . . .
ho!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
ho and a bottle of rum!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
yo ho, a pirate's life for me!
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
yar har!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
ho! Merry Christmas!?!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
ho mugs have me favorite type of grog, yar!
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

Author Message
el_cazador
Avatar for el_cazador
Guru
Guru


Joined: 13 Aug 2015
Posts: 886

Subject: The Battleship Fleet Challenge!   PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote

And we're back!
Ladies and Scalawags, Sea Dogs and Girls, welcome to the BATTLESHIP Fleet Challenge!

The rules are simple: build a 85 point fleet using ships inspired by Battleship! Although we don't have any carry-arrs, we have ships that can take as many hits before dereliction! That's right me hearties, your fleet may:

1. Consist of up to 85 points (I think this is enough. If the ceiling is too low, we can adjust)
2. Have exactly one 5 master, one 4 master, one 3 master, one 3 masted submarine*, and one two master (this by definition excludes flotillas and native canoes)
3. Include one unique treasure (silver does NOT count as your UT)
4. Have a description
5. Include "Battle" in the title!
6. Can (and are somewhat expected to be) mixed nationality!
7. Use any legal pieces including Return to Savage Shores items; as usual, put a proxy
8. And use LIMIT crew this time! Very Happy

Here's an example: Battleship Example Fleet

The fleet challenge ends on Monday the 12th of September, and remember, one fleet per entrant!

P.S. No bonus points for using El Acorazado.
*This is the only submarine in your fleet


Last edited by el_cazador on Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:56 am; edited 8 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
a7xfanben
Avatar for a7xfanben
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 4878

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:05 pm Reply with quote

Pun in description but not title

Start rant... (no offense meant to anyone)
Is anyone else a little sick of creating fleets for challenges? This challenge is just like the last one, but with a few less keywords and a few more points to spend. Other than that it's almost the same thing.
@El_Cazador: If you really wanted to make it odd, make a "turtles and krakens" challenge, or make the build total 12 points or 212 points.

I'm sick of the hypotheticals. I want real results. I want to actually PLAY. I know everyone is sick of me talking about VASSAL and trying to get them on there, but everyone except for myself and Xerecs is underutilizing it! Exclamation

rant over...

Anyone want to bet that a fleet with a hoist or the Libellule is going to win? Rolling Eyes Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
el_cazador
Avatar for el_cazador
Guru
Guru


Joined: 13 Aug 2015
Posts: 886

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote

PREVIOUS CONTEXT wrote:
Previously, the fleet challenge allowed only "odd" keyworded ships, like scorpions and turtle ships.

a7xfanben wrote:
Start rant... (no offense meant to anyone)
Is anyone else a little sick of creating fleets for challenges? This challenge is just like the last one, but with a few less keywords and a few more points to spend. Other than that it's almost the same thing.

Well, blistering barnacles. I don't know how I missed that. My original thought was to make a challenge for ships with moving parts, but that's similarly limiting.
Quote:
@El_Cazador: If you really wanted to make it odd, make a "turtles and krakens" challenge, or make the build total 12 points or 212 points.

Would you be interested in heading the challenge instead? I didn't develop the Jade Invaders challenge very far, so it's not ready.
Quote:
I'm sick of the hypotheticals. I want real results. I want to actually PLAY. I know everyone is sick of me talking about VASSAL and trying to get them on there, but everyone except for myself and Xerecs is underutilizing it! Exclamation

rant over...

Quote:
Anyone want to bet that a fleet with a hoist or the Libellule is going to win? Rolling Eyes Laughing

<Shots fired>


Last edited by el_cazador on Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
a7xfanben
Avatar for a7xfanben
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 4878

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote

el_cazador wrote:

Well, blistering barnacles. I don't know how I missed that. My original thought was to make a challenge for ships with moving parts, but that's similarly limiting.


Hmmm, I wasn't trying to suspend the challenge or anything, it just felt very similar to the previous challenge.

Quote:
Would you be interested in heading the challenge instead? I didn't develop the Jade Invaders challenge very far, so it's not ready.


Not really; I want to earn the challenges I run! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
el_cazador
Avatar for el_cazador
Guru
Guru


Joined: 13 Aug 2015
Posts: 886

Subject: We're back! I think! Maybe? I hope so... :P   PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote

OK, the NEW AND IMPROVED fleet challenge is up! Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marhawkman

Canceled user





Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:57 am Reply with quote

Question: What if my faction of choice doesn't HAVE 5-masters? AFAIK Corsairs, Jades, Mercs(they have a squid, but no real ship), and Vikings don't.
Back to top
el_cazador
Avatar for el_cazador
Guru
Guru


Joined: 13 Aug 2015
Posts: 886

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:23 am Reply with quote

marhawkman wrote:
Question: What if my faction of choice doesn't HAVE 5-masters? AFAIK Corsairs, Jades, Mercs(they have a squid, but no real ship), and Vikings don't.

Feel free to mix and match as you like.

(. . .within the regular rules; no pirates on the HMS Example unless you have an ability that allows it.)

EDIT: Here's an example.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
volt
Avatar for volt
Guru
Guru


Joined: 03 Apr 2011
Posts: 703

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote

woo fun, I am in =)))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xerecs
Avatar for xerecs
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 May 2014
Posts: 1920

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote

I'm in as well, but I have a question. Since the challenge is based on battle, should we even try to build fleets that can get gold or should we build combat oriented fleets?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
el_cazador
Avatar for el_cazador
Guru
Guru


Joined: 13 Aug 2015
Posts: 886

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
I'm in as well, but I have a question. Since the challenge is based on battle, should we even try to build fleets that can get gold or should we build combat oriented fleets?

The rules of the game still stand, so you might want to nab some treasure.

Edit: Is 85 points working for everyone?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
a7xfanben
Avatar for a7xfanben
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 4878

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote

el_cazador wrote:
Edit: Is 85 points working for everyone?


I literally just came up with something I LOVE at 86 points. I found an easy way to make it work though, so I'm good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
selvaxri
Avatar for selvaxri
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Sep 2014
Posts: 718

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:01 am Reply with quote

I'm in! A3! B13! G8!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
el_cazador
Avatar for el_cazador
Guru
Guru


Joined: 13 Aug 2015
Posts: 886

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:26 am Reply with quote

selvaxri wrote:
I'm in! A3! B13! G8!

Three hits in a row? How in the world!?! Razz Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xerecs
Avatar for xerecs
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 May 2014
Posts: 1920

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:33 am Reply with quote

el_cazador wrote:
xerecs wrote:
I'm in as well, but I have a question. Since the challenge is based on battle, should we even try to build fleets that can get gold or should we build combat oriented fleets?

The rules of the game still stand, so you might want to nab some treasure.

Edit: Is 85 points working for everyone?


Okay, thanks, I had a battle only fleet with 5 rather upsetting UT's. Time to re-work a few things.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
el_cazador
Avatar for el_cazador
Guru
Guru


Joined: 13 Aug 2015
Posts: 886

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
el_cazador wrote:
xerecs wrote:
I'm in as well, but I have a question. Since the challenge is based on battle, should we even try to build fleets that can get gold or should we build combat oriented fleets?

The rules of the game still stand, so you might want to nab some treasure.

Edit: Is 85 points working for everyone?


Okay, thanks, I had a battle only fleet with 5 rather upsetting UT's. Time to re-work a few things.

5 UTs? The limit is one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.11 © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
[Total forum time spent: 5.862 seconds]