main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Fleet Challenge: Sink The Battleship
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Fleet Challenge: Sink The Battleship   PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:20 am Reply with quote

The time has come to test your skills. Not against each other. Not against me. Not against just any ship. But against...

El Acorazado!

As I have literally proved in my games, El Acorazado is the best gunship in the game.

The Challenge:
Design a 60 point deathmatch fleet with the sole purpose of sinking El Acorazado, The Battleship. This is what you're up against.

Rules:
-All standard game rules are in effect.
-There can be fleets of multiple nationalities.
-No game pieces with the Limit keyword.
-No events.
-No unique treasures can be present in your fleet.
-Eternal only works once.
-Custom game pieces are not allowed.
-Everything else is legal, including game pieces from Return to Savage Shores.
-Setup rules: 2 home islands 5L apart, no wild islands. No terrain.
-Capturing the Acorazado doesn't count.
-For this challenge Luis Zuan's ability now says "This ship gets +1 to her cannon rolls against ANY ship." This is so people don't have the temptation to go all-Spanish to avoid the cannon bonus.
-You may use as many ships in your fleet as you want, up to the 60 point limit.
-You cannot use El Acorazado (including the OE version) in your fleet.

Scoring:
You will play your fleet against the Acorazado fleet in 1v1 matchups on VASSAL to determine the winner of the challenge! If you cannot play your fleet in the tournament, I can do so for you. If your fleet uses sea monsters or other game pieces not available in the VASSAL module, I will play your fleet using proxies in a physical game.

Important: Before I go any further and people start asking questions, go HERE for the VASSAL thread. It contains links to the program and the Pirates module, as well as plenty of help to get it up and running.

-The plan is to play each matchup (your fleet vs. the Battleship fleet) once. More games could be played if needed, especially due to the short nature of small deathmatches.

How the games will be played: With an 18 point advantage over the challenge fleet, it is likely that multiple or all fleets will be able to sink the Acorazado. However, the extra points are to allow maximum creativity, and honestly to give you people a chance. XD (For example, the Acorazado has beaten fully-loaded 10 masters at build totals of around 60 points with only the 42 point challenge fleet.)
Since multiple fleets may "win", a turn counter will be used. The fleet that sinks the Acorazado the fastest will win. Tiebreakers may happen in two ways: masts standing once the Acorazado is sunk, or additional games.

More Stuff:
-If you make use of RtSS items: Since none of the RtSS items are in the database, you'll have to use existing items as proxies in the fleet on MT. Choose a similar ship/crew/etc. with the same nationality and point cost, and in your fleet description list exactly which RtSS item will replace it. Also be sure to list the stats of all RtSS items you use so readers won't have to dig for them.
-Edits after posting are okay if there are rules issues or other serious problems, but try to avoid any drastic changes.
-I'd still like to see comments and votes on the fleets once they're submitted.
-Please post any questions you have in this thread.
-Please post in this thread if you plan to participate, and feel free to post a link to your fleet when it is ready.
-Since the challenge will be results-based, vote scores don't matter, but I still believe the 10 masters to be overrated.

-It is highly recommended that you read the battle reports I have linked from the Sink the Battleship fleet. They are insightful and may provide some ideas for your fleet, as well as some things to stay away from. As the battle reports clearly show, HMS Endeavour is the most reliable way to fight the Acorazado, and therefore it is recommended that you don't use the Endeavour. It's quite possible that if one person uses the Endeavour in their fleet and nobody else does, they may win the challenge. If that result appears biased because of the Endeavour, I may give the runner up the challenge victory. This is a tough issue; if the participants would like to agree not to use the Endeavour, that is fine by me.

-As far as official records go, the games played will not count because they are not at the same point limit. I will record them anyway however, especially because the Acorazado has gone 8-1 in prior circumstances similar to these. Shocked However, if your fleet contains a ~42 point "fleet within a fleet" that you'd like to see tested against the Acorazado, just let me know. Also, if you have a fleet completely separate from the challenge (preferably in the 40-45 point range OR a one-ship setup at any point limit) that you'd like to see tested against my Acorazado fleet, let me know.

Prizes:
-Bragging rights.
-The opportunity to create the next Fleet Challenge.
-I'll dig through my extras to see if there's anything in your want list that I have (but no promises). Also, I have some sealed packs of a few different sets as well as some random "goodies" if you will. If enough people participate and spend time on VASSAL I may even send the winner one of rossinaz's custom islands! (If you do win a prize there may be a considerable delay in mailing it due to various circumstances)

Deadlines:
-The Grand Reveal Day will be Saturday, October 1st. However, since your fleets will be participating against the Acorazado fleet rather than against each other, it's less important to wait for the GRD. If we'd like it to be sooner, we can adjust.
-Once the fleets are submitted we will begin playing the fleets. I will of course control the Acorazado fleet. Very Happy

Good luck to all! You may need it. Wink

Last edited by a7xfanben on Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:59 am Reply with quote

I'm very much in, but two questions:

May use more than one ship against the Acorazado?
&
May we use Spanish ships against her?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
I'm very much in, but two questions:

May use more than one ship against the Acorazado?
&
May we use Spanish ships against her?

You may use as many ships as you like, as long as it fits within the 60 point limit.

The second question I hadn't thought of, so thanks for that. I will say yes, but as a result, for this challenge Luis Zuan's ability now says "This ship gets +1 to her cannon rolls against ANY ship." This is so people don't have the temptation to go all-Spanish to avoid the cannon bonus.

Also, I'll add it to the main post, but you cannot use the Acorazado in your own fleet. Laughing
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject: El Cazador de Acorazados   PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote

I'm in! This makes me "El Cazador de Acorazados" now. Razz

I drafted a few fleets already, and I'm having trouble thinking of non-cheesy strategies against the ironclad. Cheese is in abundance.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote

el_cazador wrote:
I drafted a few fleets already, and I'm having trouble thinking of non-cheesy strategies against the ironclad. Cheese is in abundance.

Remember that fleets will be pitted against the Acorazado to determine the winner of the challenge, rather than subjective judging, so the most effective fleet should win. Brutal efficiency is fine; the games will likely be bloody slugfests anyway.

I'd love to see my Acorazado fleet wreck the competition, but due to the point differential it may just come down to how fast a fleet can get the ship to sink.
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
el_cazador wrote:

Remember that fleets will be pitted against the Acorazado to determine the winner of the challenge, rather than subjective judging, so the most effective fleet should win. Brutal efficiency is fine; the games will likely be bloody slugfests anyway.

I'd love to see my Acorazado fleet wreck the competition, but due to the point differential it may just come down to how fast a fleet can get the ship to sink.

Now I have several fleets I would enter. Razz I think I've made a working 1v1 fleet though.... muahahahaha! Twisted Evil I just need to check the Pirata Codex.
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote

I guess I'm in... I already have a possible idea..
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote

I will try to enter, although the next few weeks are pretty busy. =)

I have not read much of your fleets that El Acor has faced, but I will take great pleasure in destroying this overrated ship Wink
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:51 am Reply with quote

volt wrote:
I will try to enter, although the next few weeks are pretty busy. =)

I have not read much of your fleets that El Acor has faced, but I will take great pleasure in destroying this overrated ship Wink

Shots fired. Very Happy

I do not think she is overratted, but I can see her lack of appeal to someone who plays smaller, multiplayer games. She is frightfully slow evn with a helmsman and SAT, but her defensive abilities more than make up for it. I think ships, and she in particular, were designed to be used in huge games, campaigns even. The only other ship I can think of that could possibly fit the bill of made for campaigns is the HMS Dreadnought
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:44 am Reply with quote

I'm thinking of posting my fleet. I'm getting antsy waiting. Very Happy Then again I've got some major choices.......
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
I'm thinking of posting my fleet. I'm getting antsy waiting. Very Happy Then again I've got some major choices.......

I have two fleets prepped, with a third in the works. i'm tempted to post one, just to test the waters.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:10 am Reply with quote

Excellent, can't wait to see them! Would multiple entries be allowed, seems like this challenge has few participants.....
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:36 am Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
Would multiple entries be allowed, seems like this challenge has few participants.....

A bunch of the recent challenges have had 4 or 5 participants.

How about this: If everyone can get on VASSAL to play their fleets against my Acorazado fleet, I'll allow everyone a second fleet.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:43 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
xerecs wrote:
Would multiple entries be allowed, seems like this challenge has few participants.....

A bunch of the recent challenges have had 4 or 5 participants.

How about this: If everyone can get on VASSAL to play their fleets against my Acorazado fleet, I'll allow everyone a second fleet.

I'll definitely be able to get on VASSAL to play against the Acorazado fleet, how about some of the rest of you participants, think you could make it onto VASSAL?
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote

I can almost guarantee that I will not be able to play it. Now that school has started again my bedtime gets much closer to my kids lol.

I have several ideas, but finding it hard to fit everything I want into 60 points hahah. I will post something, even if its not perfect.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: