bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
VASSAL Tournament #2!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: VASSAL Tournament #2!   PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:29 am Reply with quote

VASSAL Tournament #2

Welcome to the second VASSAL tournament! The winner of the tournament will be declared the best fleet of all time!!

Just like Tournament #1, each matchup consists of 2 fleets facing each other in 1v1 competition in a 3-game series. The fleet that wins the series advances to the next round. To save time, if a fleet wins the first 2 games of a series, the third game of the series will likely not be played. If you'd like to join the tournament, just let us know.

These games are being played under most of the "standard" game rules (8 coins per player worth 15 gold, 6 islands, etc). However, there will be a few house rules:
-Xerecs and I are changing the turn order after the first game of each series. The fleet that went second in the first game will go first in the second game. This is to ensure maximum fairness so one die roll doesn't effectively decide a series. (though Game 3's will still feature regular rolls)
-We will play until there is a clear winner. This will often be the "more than half the starting gold" rule, but there may be exceptions.

The seeding is based primarily on each fleet's winning percentage. Of the 16 fleets participating in T2, 6 were determined before T1 based on their past performance - these are the best of the best. Then, the top 4 fleets from T1 were added. Finally, over the past few days Xerecs and I have selected 3 fleets each for the final 6 fleets of the tournament. The seeding wasn't strictly based on winning percentage - exceptions were made based on our judgement and who was going to play each fleet in the first round.

We based our bracket on this, with the exception that in each matchup, the higher seeded fleet is on top. The picture below shows the bracket, but to clarify, here are all of the matchups and fleets. This order simply goes down the left "division" or column, and then it goes down from the right. However, we may not play the games in this order. Also, some of these fleets may be edited slightly by the time we play them.

Round 1 matchups:

HMS GT (#1 seed)
vs.
Artillery Strike (#16 seed)

Darrin's Gold Race fleet (#8 seed)
vs.
USS Kettering - Deadly Weapon (#9 seed)

Norvegia (#4 seed)
vs.
Spanish Meta V2 (#13 seed)

UPS 2 (#5 seed)
vs.
Extra Action Gold Runners (#12 seed)

(right side of bracket)

UPS 5 (#2 seed)
vs.
RtSS English (#15 seed)

Hai Peng Fort Frenzy! (#7 seed)
vs.
dakmor's swarm fleet (#10 seed)

UPS 4 (#3 seed)
vs.
Quick wins the game (#14 seed)

American Pirates (#6 seed)
vs.
The Doldrums (#11 seed)

If I had to bet money on the winner of the tournament, I would pick UPS 2. Xerecs said he would pick either HMS GT or UPS 5. Our "sleeper" picks were generally the Doldrums and "Quick wins the game" fleets.

The first matchup was underway! HMS GT vs. Artillery Strike, in a series that would likely be played in a deathmatch style.

Basically, I forgot about Hidden Cove. The overpowered event allowed the Neptuno to strike first, where she scored a whopping 5/5 hits on the Grand Temple. The London was overmatched for the remainder of the battle, and Artillery Strike pulled off a major upset!

The second game underway:

After a somewhat lengthy maneuvering process the GT finally got in range of the Neptuno and sank her outright!

Diablo managed to go 4/4 against the GT, but the Spanish fleet was effectively doomed. HMS GT won the game to even the series 1-1!

For the final game, the home islands were close together. The Neptuno didn't have a lot of room on her first turn, and luckily I got an SAT to dismast her. From there the game was predictable, with the English firepower too much to overcome.

HMS GT wins the series 2-1 and advances to the second round! This series was unique in that it was essentially a deathmatch, since neither fleet loaded any gold in any of the games. This would soon change however, as Xerecs and I got started on the next matchup. The first game is in progress!
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote

man I wish I had the time to do this with you guys, lol! Was sad my fleet didn't make the 2nd tournament hehe
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote

volt wrote:
man I wish I had the time to do this with you guys, lol! Was sad my fleet didn't make the 2nd tournament hehe

We can fit you in for some games, just let us know when you're available. It might not be much, and the fleets you control might be somewhat random (since Xerecs and I never know how much we can play in a given week or weekend), but if you want to play it will work.

I think the biggest issue with your fleet was actually the matchup (which was determined randomly). With so many swarm ships, the Santo Columba could get off up to 8 shots per turn. However, a combination of the swarmers scattering (and sometimes hitting 3 out of the 4 islands) while the rest of them rammed and trapped the SC led to the eventual defeat. Your fleet put up a good fight though, and it was by far the most competitive series of the first round, with the other fleets sweeping in 2 games.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: 5 more games!   PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote

Two more series have been played! We decided to go in seed order - the second matchup would feature the #2 seed, and so on.

UPS 5 (#2 seed) (commanded by xerecs)
vs.
RtSS English (#15 seed) (commanded by a7xfanben)

This was my first time playing my RtSS fleet challenge entry, and my first time using the English native canoes. Of course, my fleet was in for a rude awakening, facing a UPS variant.

The canoes were designed to deny the Zeus from an island, but the Zeus sacced to explore first. The canoes scattered, while the Halcyon ducked into fog in anticipation of battle.

The Halcyon attacked but only scored one hit! This left the RtSS fleet in grave danger.

The Zeus sacs to sink the Halcyon! The Elthelfleda returns home with gold as canoes load gold.

The Elthelfleda gets home before the Zeus can strike, but things aren't looking good for the English.

The Zeus then went after the canoes, eliminating one and being pestered by another. The Zeus had lost some masts when the Elthelfleda redocked at her home island, firing at the Zeus in the process.

The Zeus eliminated the gold-laden canoes but this left the Elthelfleda to sail east for more gold. The Zeus docked home, but was still a huge threat.

The Zeus sacced to cut off the Elthelfleda before she could return home!

The Elthelfleda was captured and UPS 5 won the game 11-8!

The second game featured different home islands. I made the mistake of putting the canoes near the Zeus again, but it didn't seem to matter much.

Similar to the last game, but the Halcyon stays docked.

The Halcyon comes out and hits 2/3, trying to buy time for the gold runners.

The Zeus simply crushes the opposition. The Halcyon lies derelict while the Elthelfleda is close to being dismasted.

Now it was a chase for the canoes! I decided to spread them out, simply hoping that the Zeus would only be able to catch 2. The English were just trying to avoid being shut out at this point.

A canoe did manage to slip by, but UPS 5 still won the game easily, 9-2. UPS 5 advances to the second round!

The next matchup!

UPS 4 (#3 seed) (commanded by xerecs)
vs.
Quick wins the game (#14 seed) (commanded by a7xfanben)

It's important to note that the "Quick" fleet had the Coeur swapped out for Hidden Cove. The Coeur's explorer was moved to the Courageux, while Cissey was moved to the Vengeance.

The sea was set for Game 1!

It quickly (no pun intended heh) became apparent that this series would be considerably more interesting than the last two. The first was a mismatch with HMS GT emerging victorious, with the second matchup also ending in a predictable fashion. Here, both fleets possessed gold bonus abilities (3 for UPS 4, and 1 for Quick), and both fleets were generally focused on gold, though each also had a purpose-built gunship. Here, the French gold runners have abandoned their explorers in favor of more gold, while Captain Jack Sparrow (CJS) gets busy aboard the Coral up north.

I knew I needed to force the action with the Vengeance, or else the Pirates would get a huge lead with all of their gold bonuses. The Coral would be the primary target in all games of the series, and here the Vengeance dismasted her with a well-placed L-range shot! At the French home island, the Pique is about to be given an explore action to give her gold to the Courageux, who will redock to get Aristide's bonus on both hauls.

Battle erupts in the northwest, where the Longshanks and Vengeance duel. The Vengeance has a durability and cancelling advantage, but her gunners seemed tired to start this tournament. The Sea Crane has no UPS strategy to work with, so she sails out to get gold on her own.

After missing another shot, the Vengeance abandons the LS to go after the Sea Crane, hoping to cripple the ship before she docks home gold. The Courageux and Pique continue to tag team, getting the gold bonus on a single coin.

The Sea Crane did manage to get home in time, but the Vengeance was in cancelling range! Lenoir cancelled Genny Gallows, denying the Pirates an additional 2 gold. Battle then continued, with the Vengeance eventually winning out with just one mast remaining. The gold was counted up, and the Quick fleet had won a 19-14 upset! It helped that they had found most of the silver coins coveted by the Pirates.

For the second game the HI's would once again be at opposite ends of the playing area.

The Coral does her thing, and the Vengeance comes after her.

The Pirates can get gold extremely quickly, but the French have 6 coins on their runners. The Vengeance is not fast enough to catch the Coral...

Then things started getting interesting. The Pirates built Dead Man's Point on the island, but the Vengeance rammed off the Coral's single mast.

The fort took out a mast on the Vengeance and Barbinais along with it, but the Coral was dismasted after repairing.

The Coral sank, and the Vengeance and Longshanks went at it again!

The Vengeance couldn't overcome the combined firepower of the fort and LS. The French cleaned out their two islands, but the Sea Crane established the Devil's Maw on the center island. This effectively ended the game, and it was time to count!

The Pirates had won a 31-24 victory in one of the highest-scoring standard games you'll ever see! 55 total gold was counted, meaning that 25 extra gold had been created with the gold bonuses! (almost another game's worth of gold!)

A Game 3 finale was in order! The French got to go first, and I made sure that the Pirate HI was next to my own.

The French used Hidden Cove to spring the Vengeance to the center island. She then moved east, looking to attack the Coral once again.

Once again the Coral built Dead Man's Point:

The Vengeance got lucky and hit 3/4 on the fort to severely limit its return firepower. The Coral was in major trouble, with the LS too far away to help.

Similar to the first game, the Coral ran for it and was dismasted by a long range shot! As you can see, both fleets have unloaded some gold and received some bonuses from it.

The LS went after the French gold runners for the first time, but the Courageux fought back instead of running! The Vengeance went after the Sea Crane, and it looked like the Quick fleet could pull off a major upset if they could just dismast the remaining Pirate ships.

The battle in the center rages, with the Pique getting in on the action:

The LS was sunk and the Vengeance dismasted the Sea Crane to end the game!

The French had 16 gold to the Pirates' 9. Quick wins the game advances to the second round!

Here's the updated bracket. After two predictable matchups, we have our first upset. (The X's at the upper left mean that the fleet was eliminated without getting any gold, while the 0's mean that that fleet won the game despite not getting any gold.)
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:06 pm Reply with quote

Norvegia (#4 seed) (commanded by a7xfanben)
vs.
Spanish Meta V2 (#13 seed) (commanded by xerecs)

The next matchup featured the classic Norvegia setup. We only had time for Game 1 so far.

The Neptune's Hoard (NH) found Rum on the middle island, freezing the ship for a turn. In hindsight, I could have used the ship's ability to trade away the UT, but in addition, Rum probably shouldn't be in the fleet in the first place.

The San Cristobal (SC) caught the NH and blasted most of her masts off. Luckily for the Pirates, the final mast standing meant the NH could return home with a sac action. The Star of Siam docked home gold on the turn as well, giving Norvegia a bit of a windfall. The Banshee's Cry (BC) is hiding from the SC while the Monarca runs gold.

At one point all the Pirate ships were docked at the home island, leading to the SC resorting to ramming.

The Monarca reached home with Buried Treasure (another UT I'm taking out of the Norvegia build for future games) and Spices, while the NH was able to damage the SC with a double action, including a ram of her own. The BC grabbed some coins but wasn't able to get them back home.

In the end, Barbary Banner and the sheer volume of gold gave Norvegia the victory! The final score was 23-16. We look forward to Game 2!
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote

Uh, Ben, the pictures aren't showing up. Could be my computer, but could also be a glitch somewhere.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:08 am Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
Uh, Ben, the pictures aren't showing up. Could be my computer, but could also be a glitch somewhere.

Postimage.org briefly went offline for some reason. Looks good to me now. It was also fine when I first posted the report since I often look at my posts once they're posted.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:04 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
xerecs wrote:

Postimage.org briefly went offline for some reason. Looks good to me now. It was also fine when I first posted the report since I often look at my posts once they're posted.

Just looked at them again, all good.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote

Norvegia (#4 seed) (commanded by a7xfanben)
vs.
Spanish Meta V2 (#13 seed) (commanded by xerecs)

The second game of the series was about to begin!

Total destruction! The San Cristobal gets an EA, which lets her dismast the NH and BC. The Star of Siam was in the fog, and came out to score a hit. However, the game was as good as over when the NH's final mast fell.

The SC sinks the remainder of the fleet, and the Spanish Meta fleet wins Game 2 by a score of 1-0! (from eliminating the Hag of Tortuga aboard the BC when she sank)

For the third time in the first four matchups, we were going to a decisive Game 3!

The NH and Star of Siam reached islands on their first turn, and the BC headed to a third island. The Pirates wanted to split their fleet so the SC would have to chase down multiple targets.

Once again the SC got an EA, but she couldn't reach the Neptune's Hoard! The Star of Siam was sunk instead, allowing the NH to reach home with gold.

With the NH docked, the SC then went after the Banshee's Cry. The BC was sunk, but this opened the door for the Pirates to strike. I nearly went for the northernmost wild island, but I then remembered that from past experience, sinking the only gold runner an opponent has gives you a very good shot at winning the game. The NH used a sac action to reach the Monarca and dismasted her!

The SC finally missed the EA roll (about time haha), and missed the NH with both shots. This allowed the NH another sac action, which was used to sink the Monarca and miraculously dismast the SC as well!

Norvegia won the game 8-1. Norvegia advances to the second round! This was a fun series, and the Spanish Meta fleet is definitely a tough customer. The biggest differences were the guaranteed sac actions of the Norvegia fleet against the EA roll for the SC, which sometimes doesn't work, as well as having 3 gold runners compared to 1.

The next matchup!

UPS 2 (#5 seed) (commanded by a7xfanben)
vs.
Extra Action Gold Runners (#12 seed) (commanded by xerecs)

I really love my EA gold runners fleet, but I love UPS 2 as well. Also, as I said previously, if I had to pick a fleet to win the tournament, it would be UPS 2, although it's very close and there is very tough competition. I was disappointed to see that these fleets have already faced each other, with UPS 2 prevailing 2 games to 1, but that was bound to happen in this tournament anyway, and will likely happen again.

The EA fleet got off to a great start, with the Joya and Star of Siam (SoS) receiving EA's on the first turn. The Joya grabbed gold from the center island, while the SoS headed west.

Then it was time for UPS 2. The strategy darrin outlined in his fleet was followed, and by the end of the turn UPS 2 had a bunch of gold sitting on their home island, two islands explored, Paradis de la Mer built on the island the SoS was sailing towards, and turtles swimming towards their home island. Shocked

The second turn saw the Joya dock home gold with the help of Skrew Engine, while the Hai Peng built another fort.

The SoS eliminated some turtles, while the Joya made for the northeastern island. The Hai Peng wasn't quite fast enough to beat the Joya to the island from across the sea, so instead took a shot against the Algeciras (which missed) and then returned to Dead Man's Point to transfer another coin home.

The Joya used Homing Beacon to get home extremely quickly, and with most of the gold unloaded and the rest in forts, the game was called. UPS 2 had won handily, 27-13. This was the first time using UPS 2 in a while, and it didn't disappoint!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:49 am Reply with quote

UPS 2 (#5 seed) (commanded by a7xfanben)
vs.
Extra Action Gold Runners (#12 seed) (commanded by xerecs)

UPS 2 went first in the second game of the series, building a fort on the second island but finding useless UT's and low gold values.

The Joya got an EA and found turtles, and it was clear that this game would be tougher for UPS 2 to win.

Only then did UPS 2 play Hidden Cove, and CJS transported some coins home and Dead Man's Point was erected on the island.

That caused the SoS to change course, while the Joya got another EA to dock home some gold. The turtles were on their way, and they had a short trip home.

Here I made a mistake, thinking the Hai Peng could dismast the Algeciras with a shoot and ram. Both shots missed, and the Hai Peng was pinned. After dumping some crew, the Intrepide sailed from home, as it was a bit of an emergency for the usually-calm UPS 2 fleet. The Intrepide was ready to sail to the Paradis fort if needed, taking the gold to the much safer location of the home island.

The Algeciras scored a hit on the pinned Hai Peng, but it was ignored with a Cross of Coronado. The SoS then missed twice in a row, and UPS 2 had another chance.

The Hai Peng finally managed to dismast the Algeciras and escape a bad situation, scooting off to the southwest island to trade home some coins. My thinking here was that, knowing the gold values on the wild island, I could create a bigger gold advantage by tossing them home than eliminating turtles. It's not likely the Hai Peng could get all of the turtles, but each coin transferred via CJS would get +2'd by Maurice Aristide. In addition, eliminating the turtles could have meant facing more shots from the SoS.

UPS 2 was content to transfer home coins and get the bonus on each one, while the EA runners got busy attacking Dead Man's Point. The fort took a hit from the SoS, while the Joya waited for an EA to get in range since she had no captain. The fort's gunners didn't expect any contest with UPS 2 going, and they were asleep at their posts and forgot to fire.

The Star of Siam's guns woke them up, and they connected to dismast the SoS! This took Gallows out of the action, and the EA runners were essentially down to one ship. The turtles reached home safely after the Hai Peng eliminated one of them, while the Intrepide and Coeur sailed north now that the HP didn't have any gold to transfer.

The battle at the fort intensified! The Joya eliminated its final cannon, but that happened as the entire UPS 2 fleet sailed up to the Joya. The Joya was rammed by the HP and Coeur, while the Intrepide loaded the final available coin from the fort.

The Joya steals the coin! The SoS heads for the center island, where the Trees UT is located.

The HP stole the coin back, and the Joya was sunk.

The SoS used Homing Beacon to return home and repair, while the Intrepide took the coin from the HP. Aristide worked his magic once more, and the game ended. Once the gold was counted, it was obvious that the gold in the forts would not have given the EA fleet the win if they had gotten it.

The final score was:
UPS 2: 37 gold
EA gold runners: 17 gold

UPS 2 advances to Round 2! This came as no surprise, especially given that UPS 2 had already won a series against the EA fleet. My EA gold runner fleet is now 9-13, but 4 of those losses have come against UPS 2, one of the best fleets of all time.

With that, we also have our first Round 2 matchup: Norvegia vs. UPS 2!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:13 am Reply with quote

Xerecs and I were able to continue the tournament! We played three games; the third one was possibly the longest (by number of turns) 40 point game I've been involved in. It was incredibly desperate and wacky - keep reading to see what happened!

American Pirates (#6 seed) (commanded by Xerecs)
vs.
The Doldrums (#11 seed) (commanded by a7xfanben)

Becalmed would soon prove to be a massive nuisance to the AP's, giving the Doldrums fleet a head start. The Eagle waited for the Roanoke in the fog, while the Banshee's Cry and Amity both docked at the same island. The Longshanks is already headed back with gold due to Hidden Cove.

The Eagle managed to dismast the Roanoke and come to the BC's aid when the Amity rammed the BC! With their gunship out of action and no gold on their ships or home island, it would be a tough road back for the AP's in this game.

The Eagle has sunk the Roanoke, while the Longshanks rams the Amity.

The Eagle finishes off the Amity while the Bloody Jewel returns home with gold. The LS rescues the BC. The AP's manage some gold as the Bandido returns home, but it's only to avoid a shutout at this point. The Doldrums win 20-4!

The AP's went first in the second game, but the Doldrums still managed to hit the Roanoke and Amity with Becalmed on their first turn. The Eagle stayed home, anticipating the Roanoke returning to her HI, while the Doldrum gold runners were wary of the dangerous American 5 master.

The Roanoke instead headed west, prompting the Eagle to sail out. Suddenly 4 ships were near the center island! The Bloody Jewel unloads gold, while the Amity grabs some for the AP's.

Shots fired! The Eagle wasn't able to hit anything with her first action, but by saccing she got lucky and took out 3 masts on the Roanoke! The Longshanks rammed the Bandido derelict, and combat was in full swing.

Of course, in a game this small, it didn't last long. The Eagle used another double action to dismast the Roanoke, while the LS towed the Bandido.

This led to a strange situation where the Eagle purposely didn't shoot at the Amity, since dismasting her would end the game. The Doldrums weren't 100% sure they had more gold than the AP's, so the Eagle sailed by while the Amity took some ineffective shots at the captured Roanoke. The BC engaged the Amity but failed her ram and was then dismasted.

The game ended when the Eagle docked home the Roanoke; the gold and captured Commodore Perry gave the Doldrums a 21-8 victory! The Doldrums advances to Round 2! Becalmed was certainly a factor in the two games, but good dice luck and appropriate maneuvering by the Eagle also won the day. (The Eagle would have to receive the MVS "Most Valuable Ship" award for this series)

The next matchup:
Hai Peng Fort Frenzy! (#7 seed) (commanded by a7xfanben)
vs.
dakmor's swarm fleet (#10 seed) (commanded by Xerecs)

(This was the crazy one!)

The home islands were relatively close together. I was very excited to return to my HPFF fleet, which is a variant on the UPS strategy. Of the 16 ships the two fleets had on the ocean, none had more than 2 masts. Throw in only a single captain ability (Captain Jack Sparrow), and it looked like the series wouldn't feature much combat. What looked like it could be a quick game turned into a long affair....

This is the situation before the swarm fleet even took a turn. The Hai Peng has followed the HPFF strategy, building Paradis de la Mer on the center wild island. The UT Maps of Alexandria was found, giving both fleets the location of each UT and standard coin. The HP (Hai Peng) loaded the traded oarsman and a coin, while the Banshee's Cry headed for the southwestern island. Finally the swarm fleet could take its turn!

Here, the swarm fleet has set out, but the Hai Peng is at it again. The Devil's Maw was built on the westernmost island, and the HP loaded another coin and the Holy Water UT.

The HP then headed south to build Dead Man's Point, the third fort on four wild islands! Soon afterward, things started to "devolve into chaos", as I like to say. A few swarm ships got too close to Paradis de la Mer, who shot a couple masts off. The Banshee's Cry went there to grab any extra coins not used for the fort's construction. The swarm fleet mostly divided itself in two: a contingent of ships headed west to attack the Devil's Maw, while another group headed south towards the HPFF home island. There, the Hai Peng had just docked home the coins she had picked up on her journey to most of the wild islands. However, she was soon under attack! The swarm fleet can utilize rams quite effectively, and this strategy began to pay off as the HP lost a mast. CJS was surprised to be in so much trouble at his own HI! It's worth noting that the northern wild island was effectively irrelevant at this point, having been emptied by the swarm fleet.

The swarm fleet took their turn, and the momentum began to shift! The sheer number of swarmers overwhelmed the Hai Peng and dismasted her via ramming! Then, in an expert display of seamanship, Xerecs used the swarm fleet to capture and chain-tow the Hai Peng away from the HPFF home island and out of harm's way!!!! Shocked Chain-towing in a regular game, using about 6 total ships! (I sort of introduced chain-towing as a tactic back in my first 500 point game; it's normally only viable in very large games so to see it here was epic.) At this point I commented that I was willing to lose despite my love for the HPFF fleet, simply because of Xerecs' fantastic move and the honorable way of losing such a unique game. However, it was becoming evident that there was a lot of game left to play! The swarmers took up position in the far west against the Devil's Maw, and began their bombardment! This was another unique feature of this game - a prolonged assault against a fort by multiple ships, something you'd be more likely to see in real life than in a game of Pirates.

With the Hai Peng captured, Lord Mycron aboard the Patagonia can now give the extra action to the Banshee's Cry. The BC zips home with an extra coin from Paradis, giving the HPFF fleet 11 gold on their home island. The Lezard sails out, the HPFF fleet desperate now that the HP is gone. The Devil's Maw puts up a good fight against the uncaptained swarmers, dismasting two ships even as three more prepare to fire.

The two battles continue to rage. The swarmers now concentrate some ships against the remaining HPFF ships. The Lezard and Patagonia are both dismasted by rams! The Devil's Maw has knocked the western swarm squadron down to 2 masts, meaning that the fort has won the battle! Another rarity, as forts are often destroyed before they can even fire a shot when a fast gunship sails in and mauls them immediately. Between the lack of captains in the swarm fleet and the small size of the ships, the fort was in a uniquely good position. The Banshee's Cry tries to get gold, while the Hai Peng is towed home by the swarmers. At this point, the only way for the swarm fleet to win is to get some of the gold from the forts. However, they will be hard-pressed to destroy all 3 with their lack of firepower.

Both fleets continue to have some successes: the Devil's Maw finishes off the swarmers in the west, and the BC uses Skrew Engine to duck into a fog bank with a coin. However, the swarm fleet sinks the Lezard and captures the Patagonia! This gives the swarmers access to Lord Mycron.

Some turns later, and the Hai Peng has been repaired! She sets out for the swarm fleet, and is by far their best hope for them to destroy the forts, between her speed and CJS's captain ability. Her first shots miss the Devil's Maw, but Mycron can give the ship another action. At this point the Pirate fort is down to 3 cannons and faces a more powerful squadron in this second battle, with more swarm ships arriving soon. A ship stands guard at the HPFF HI, where the BC needs a 2 or 3 coming out of the fog to dock home her coin.

With 4 ships the swarm fleet manages to destroy the Devil's Maw in the second assault! The Hai Peng is given the Patagonia's action to load the 5 coin, which is extremely important. With two forts left, the swarmers will need some luck if they want to destroy both, especially against Paradis' overpowered ability. The Banshee's Cry has docked home a 3 for HPFF, and since she's the only ship remaining in the fleet, she has become essentially invincible! If the swarm fleet dismasts the BC, the game immediately ends and the remaining gold in the two forts counts for the HPFF fleet, which would give them the win. Knowing this, the BC immediately rams the nearest swarm ship in the hopes of capturing and repairing it, but the hapless Venture sinks instantly!

The Banshee's Cry manages to capture El Raton and even the Patagonia! However, the Patagonia is quickly sunk after being recaptured, giving the swarm fleet an extra 1 gold from Bratley's Ransom ability, which could certainly matter in this hotly contested game. In the south, Dead Man's Point has already fallen! Some of the fort's gunners fell asleep at their posts after the battle of the Devil's Maw took so long, and the fort is quickly defeated. The Hai Peng tries to load the gold used to build the fort... and we suddenly realize that I had accidentally cheated! The BC's entire trip to Dead Man's Point earlier in the game was all for nought: I thought there were two 3's in the fort, but in reality the 3 used to build the fort was the only standard coin on the island. Thus the coin couldn't be removed from the fort, and we corrected the mistake by transferring the coin from my HI to the Hai Peng. I knew something was amiss when I counted 38 total gold in play (30 + 5 from Barbary Banner, + a mysterious 3 that I mistook for an extra coin when it wasn't).

Something else happened in this segment of turns that completely turned the game on its head. When the BC went to Dead Man's Point to grab the "extra" 3 coin, she did pick up the Jailhouse Dog UT (so I guess the trip wasn't completely worthless!). I completely forgot about the UT until one of the swarm ships won a boarding party against the BC. Having to look at the BC's deckplate for the first time in a while, I suddenly saw the UT! I then consulted the Pirate Code and found this:
The Pirate Code wrote:
Jailhouse Dog
-This ability may be used at any time during the game.

Ecstatic, I then happened to (luckily!) read further:
The Pirate Code wrote:
-This ability may be used to remove a unique treasure that is worth gold after it has been unloaded to a home island, provided that unloading that treasure did not trigger an endgame condition. If any endgame condition has been reached, Jailhouse Dog can no longer be used.

Shocked

I used Jailhouse Dog to eliminate the Barbary Banner sitting on the swarm HI and cost them 5 gold!

The BC lost one of her two oarsmen instead of having the UT stolen, and now it was once again a regular 30-gold game instead of the one-time "38"! At this point I knew exactly what I had to do: with 11 gold on my HI, just hold Paradis (with a 5 coin inside) and I would win the game. Jailhouse Dog meant the swarm fleet would have to get the gold from Paradis after all, rather than just the Devil's Maw and Dead Man's Point. Despite being on the winning side of the UT in this game, Jailhouse Dog is still one of my least favorite UT's because it can be OP and game-breaking. It's one of the ultimate "party poopers" of Pirates CSG.

With 2 of the 3 forts destroyed, it looked like the game would finally end soon. There was a brief scuffle near Paradis, which resulted in two derelict swarm ships. The Hai Peng hurried home with the gold from Dead Man's Point (the real 3 that the BC never should have loaded heh), while the gunners at Paradis prepared for a final clash.

The BC captured the Intrepide and towed her to Paradis to repair, while the fort sank the other swarm ship. The Hai Peng sailed out, knowing that only one of the two HPFF ships (now including the Intrepide) could be dismasted (unless docked at the fort and therefore able to repair).

In between the above picture and this one, the Hai Peng rammed the Banshee's Cry at such an angle that the guns of Paradis couldn't hit the HP. However, the Intrepide rammed the HP and forced her to retreat. The HP went home to repair one final time! At this point I had been playing the game and typing in the chat with one hand for a while due to eating. This led to many bizarre and amusing things in the VASSAL chat, and further contributed to this long and wacky game.

The Hai Peng sailed out and dismasted the Intrepide, leaving the BC as the only HPFF ship once again. The Hai Peng tried to attack Paradis, but once the first die was rolled for Paradis' effect, it was obvious that it was impossible for the HP to get enough hits. The fort's guns boomed once more, and the Hai Peng was derelict! This seemed to end the game, but the swarm fleet still had the Jolly Mon at their home island! The Jolly Mon vs. Paradis de la Mer matchup didn't happen for obvious reasons: the Jolly Mon would need an absolutely unprecedented string of luck to win, and even then a single successful ram from the BC would end the game as well.

Hai Peng Fort Frenzy wins the game 16-15!! 11 gold was on their HI, with 5 in the intact fort. The swarm fleet had 14 gold and 1 extra from sinking Bratley. How fitting that one of the longest and most desperate 40 point games ever ends with a 1-gold margin of victory! This is a game we'll remember for a long time, and continues the trend of the HPFF fleet having very long and interesting games: its first series (against the AP fleet ironically) was also quite memorable. After all that, we still have at least one more game left to play in the series!
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote

that... was freakin amazing! lol
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:14 am Reply with quote

2 more games!

Hai Peng Fort Frenzy! (#7 seed) (commanded by a7xfanben)
vs.
dakmor's swarm fleet (#10 seed) (commanded by xerecs)

The second game of the series got started, with the swarm fleet going first. For the second game in a row the Hai Peng built Paradis de la Mer on the center island.

The HP was headed to the southeast (building Dead Man's Point), where she found the Maps of Alexandria. By that point she had also loaded Holy Water and Jailhouse Dog. Paradis dismasted the swarm's Banshee's Cry, while the HPFF BC docked in the northeast.

The BC used Skrew Engine to dock home a few coins, including the Barbary Banner. This time HPFF had found both the dog and the banner, giving them a decided advantage. It was already likely that HPFF would win, but they also had luck on their side. Xerecs' cannons were ineffective, and DMP crushed all comers in the southeast.

Here, the swarm fleet has some gold home, but they're running out of ships. At this point the swarm fleet had to do the near-impossible: steal the Jailhouse Dog from the HP, use it to eliminate Barbary Banner, and then somehow destroy Paradis de la Mer to get the fort's 5 coin. HPFF had 16 gold when counting Paradis' gold but not counting the banner or the 3 in Dead Man's Point. The Banshee's Cry and Lezard were dismasted via rams but quickly repaired.

The Hai Peng got involved in the skirmish at the HPFF home island, where she was actually dismasted by rams and forced to hand over the Jailhouse Dog! Xerecs immediately played it to eliminate the Barbary Banner, but after the BC and Lezard got revenge by dismasting two swarm ships, the swarm fleet almost certainly wouldn't be able to destroy Paradis. Realizing that the Hai Peng could move S+L+S when derelict (oarsman + both bonuses intact from having a captain and helmsman aboard), I decided to take off, knowing I could repair at either fort but knowing that the HP would be captured if she stayed at home.

An overly lengthy endgame process saw the Algeciras capture the Patagonia, so Mycron gave the swarm's Coeur some extra actions. The Carrion Crow took the BC and Lezard out, leaving HPFF with just the HP. That would prove to be enough however, as the HP repaired at DMP, then dismasted the Carrion Crow. With only 2 masts left in the swarm fleet, we decided to call the game. HPFF had a 14-8 advantage even without the forts, which made the final score 22-8. Hai Peng Fort Frenzy advances to Round 2!

The final matchup of the first round!
Darrin's Gold Race fleet (#8 seed) (commanded by a7xfanben)
vs.
USS Kettering - Deadly Weapon (#9 seed) (commanded by xerecs)

This was a bit of an odd matchup - a UPS variant against a fleet designed for deathmatch play. The Kettering fleet used the same nasty UT's as the HMS Grand Temple fleet to maximize the competitive nature of the tournament.

Darrin's fleet rolled to go first, and I followed his strategy to a T. The fleet had 12 gold on its HI by the end of the first turn.

CJS traded another coin home on the next turn, which was the final coin on the center island (Missionary was traded away on the first turn and the BC loaded a Monkey's Paw). This gave the gold race fleet 17 gold, technically enough to win. However, knowing that the BC had only traded away 8 total gold, there was 22 more gold out on the islands. To be fair we kept playing in the off chance that the Kettering fleet could come back, since the gold race fleet didn't have a true majority of all the gold now in play (9 extra on their HI from the bonuses).

The Rover turned around and rammed the Kettering! However, no damage was done. Then, in a bizarre twist, the Rover won the boarding party 7-6! A 2 point ship had just won a boarding party against one of the most feared ships in the game, and there was nothing the canceller ability could do about it! To continue the oddities, the Kettering then missed 4 shots in a row (partly due to Brent Rice having been eliminated in the boarding) before the Minuteman finally put an end to the mighty Rover. That whole sequence guaranteed the Banshee's Cry another explore action at a different island, and it was over. CJS traded home a 7, which became a whopping 10 after the gold bonuses. Darrin's gold race wins the first game of the series 27-0, the greatest margin of victory so far in the tournament and a higher margin of victory than any game from Tournament #1.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:11 pm Reply with quote

vs.

Game 2 (Darrin's fleet won the first game)

This time the Kettering fleet went first, and the BC was unlucky enough to find 2 negative UT's at the center island, loading Maps of Hades.

The Rover was dismasted, and it was clear that the BC would have to do some sailing (rather than just "Hidden Cove'ing" to the island and redocking) in order to win the game. The BC needed more regular coins at the center island rather than UT's. Negative UT's may be the most reliable way to slow down these UPS fleets, since treasure traders like Gilbert can only toss away one at a time. Even then, there's a chance you'll get another bad one in the exchange!

The Maps of Hades allowed the Kettering to easily sink the BC, while the Sea Crane and Bonnie Liz sailed out to look for gold instead. The strategy of the gold race fleet was massively compromised, and the serious firepower advantage of the Kettering fleet looked like a tough obstacle to overcome.

Here the Sea Crane is being towed by the Kettering for her gold and gold bonus ability. The Bonnie Liz has gotten the Rover back in action, and they look to ram and steal before it's too late.

The Bonnie Liz actually managed to steal a 7 from the Sea Crane, but it was promptly retaken by the Algeciras, who gave it to the Sea Crane to get the +1 bonus. The Rover was smashed again, while the Bonnie Liz tried to commit suicide on a reef in order to force the game's end, simply hoping for enough gold to win. However, it would have been too late anyway, for the Kettering fleet won the game 22-9!

We have begun the third and final game of this series, and hope to complete it in the near future. After that, the competition heats up in Round 2!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:29 am Reply with quote

vs.

The final game of the series was underway!

The Banshee's Cry had to make a run for a second island, while the Rover tried to hold off the Kettering and the Sea Crane left her HI.

Disaster for the gold race fleet: the BC is sunk, the Sea Crane captured, and the Rover dismasted. The Bonnie Liz is their only hope now.

The Kettering encountered a Missionary, but managed to get some gold home, leaving the Minuteman flotilla near the middle of the map. The Bonnie Liz was off to the southwestern island, where she found Wolves.

With Wolves making some of the gold unavailable, the game was soon decided. Darrin's gold race had won a close 21-16 victory and advances to the second round of the tournament!

After the entire first round, here is the updated bracket. As before, the first number in each pair of scores belongs to the upper fleet, whether they won the game or not. Many fleets were quite impressive, winning both games of their series, while others prevailed against tough competition. The biggest upset was Quick wins the game (#14 seed) beating UPS 4, the #3 seed. After exactly 20 games in Round 1, there are 8 fleets remaining!

The first matchup of Round 2!

HMS GT (#1 seed) (commanded by Xerecs)
vs.

The home islands were the same as they were for the third game of the previous matchup, and with HMS GT following a similar style as the USS Kettering fleet, it would prove to be a similar game.

Once again, the Rover is dismasted as the BC runs off to a second island.

I didn't take many pictures, but the Bonnie Liz ended up as the last ship in the gold race fleet once again. This time, the Bonnie Liz managed to do a suicide run onto a reef to force the game's end, knowing that her fleet likely had more gold than the HMS GT fleet. This was correct, as darrin's fleet won 15-6.

There are no pictures from the second game of the matchup, because there doesn't need to be. The gold race fleet rolled to go first (after going second in the first game), and the Banshee's Cry managed to find only standard coins on the island she was Hidden Cove'd to! This meant she could simply trade 4 coins home in 2 turns and get the +3 bonuses on all of them. There was no need to scramble and no need for a second island. With 13 regular gold on the HI, there was only 17 gold available for the GT fleet. However, with 12 gold in bonuses in addition to the 13 standard, there was absolutely no way for the GT fleet to win.

Darrin's gold race wins 25-0 and advances to Round 3, the semifinals! The #1 seed is out of the tournament in an upset! It wasn't hugely surprising, since the gold race fleet is a UPS variant and the HMS GT fleet is built for combat. The perfect scenario combined with going first let the gold race fleet attain an easy second victory.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: