Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Introduce yerself (or "A round o' grog and a fantastic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wantkrakens

Canceled user

Subject: Re: Hiiiiiyyyyy!!!!!!!! (part 2)   PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:47 am Reply with quote

j_w_darkhurst wrote:
cursedfan99 wrote:
j_w_darkhurst wrote:
In all seriousness, I'm a veteran player of the game, and have been collecting for a few years now (though I'm still a young whippersnapper)
Pretty much all of what I said earlier is true: I favor Spain and America, I don't like England, and I'm basically indifferent about the rest. I love using the Enterprise and the Executioner, and the Frontier is one of my favorite runners. I collect books and therefore have a vast library, and I'm also a total nerd about Lego
My name is based on the names of two OCs of mine that exist in a story I am hoping to write one day.
True to my earlier words, I hope that my offer of potentially useful ship and expansion ideas can earn me a place among the masters of piracy.

Welcome to the forum! Cool to hear about a fellow book collector! Any in particular that you look for, or just whatever trips your trigger?

Thank you!
I look for lengthy young adult fiction and fantasy series, some classics, and anything that looks good. What about you? Very Happy

Did you read the Inheritance Cycle?

It is by far my personal favorite series. Great stuff.

Always remember to look out for Urgals, and never go to the Crags of Tal'near alone.
cursedfan99

Canceled user

Subject: Re: Hiiiiiyyyyy!!!!!!!! (part 2)   PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:58 am Reply with quote

j_w_darkhurst wrote:
cursedfan99 wrote:
j_w_darkhurst wrote:
In all seriousness, I'm a veteran player of the game, and have been collecting for a few years now (though I'm still a young whippersnapper)
Pretty much all of what I said earlier is true: I favor Spain and America, I don't like England, and I'm basically indifferent about the rest. I love using the Enterprise and the Executioner, and the Frontier is one of my favorite runners. I collect books and therefore have a vast library, and I'm also a total nerd about Lego
My name is based on the names of two OCs of mine that exist in a story I am hoping to write one day.
True to my earlier words, I hope that my offer of potentially useful ship and expansion ideas can earn me a place among the masters of piracy.

Welcome to the forum! Cool to hear about a fellow book collector! Any in particular that you look for, or just whatever trips your trigger?

Thank you!
I look for lengthy young adult fiction and fantasy series, some classics, and anything that looks good. What about you? Very Happy

Okay nice! I can respect that! Very Happy Do you have a favorite series?
You know I haven’t been reading as many actual novels/stories as I’d like to. But I am pretty much always working through a military history book of some sort, and have a decent sized collection of small arms/military reference material.
lord_denton

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote

@megabyteknight & gingerninja & j_w_darkhurst: Welcome to the forum! Smile I hope you find everything you are looking for and meet many friends. It warms my heart to see so many new members getting into the fun.
j_w_darkhurst
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject: Re: Hiiiiiyyyyy!!!!!!!! (part 2)   PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote

wantkrakens wrote:
j_w_darkhurst wrote:
cursedfan99 wrote:

Thank you!

Did you read the Inheritance Cycle?

It is by far my personal favorite series. Great stuff.

Always remember to look out for Urgals, and never go to the Crags of Tal'near alone.

I haven't finished the Inheritance series yet, but Xerecs has been insisting that I get around to it.
I plan on doing so; once I finish, like half of my current reading list. Sad Smile
big_money

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:55 am Reply with quote

Howdy folks! New guy here, and big fan of Pirates CSG. My first exposure to it was Christmas in 2005 I think, when I got a couple tins as gifts, from the first set and Revolution as well. I was like 11 years old and really into pirates, so I got into trying to collect all the ships. Didn't end up getting very many, as my parents never really bought me stuff that often, but I remember spending hours looking at all the different types of ships on the old website.

At that age I would go through many different interests, so the pirates one didn't last that long, but I did get back into it when Rise of the Fiends came out. I actually managed to obtain most of the ships from that set, including the glow-in-the-dark Specter, which was one of my prize possessions at the time, haha. But soon afterwards I moved on yet again. I don't think my parents still have my old collection at their house, but if they do it's probably in pieces unfortunately.

Fast forward to a couple months ago, when I just randomly remembered Pirates CSG and did a search on it. I found that they discontinued the product not long after I stopped collecting. Kinda lame, as it would be neat to see what else they would have done with it. I actually liked all the fantasy stuff, 'cause it added variety even if it was unrealistic. So anyway, I recently bought a sealed Spanish Main pack on Amazon, the first pack in ten years (wow). Opening it was a very nostalgic moment. I got the Zephyr, La Joya del Sol, Comandante Luys de Alva, and a pirate musketeer. They now sit atop my bookshelf.

So yeah, I was always more into the collectable aspect. I think I tried to play the game a few times, but could never really figure it out. Heck, even now I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the rules, though I think I can actually play it now, haha. I'd like to try it out, but I'll need more ships first. I really want to get every single ship in Spanish Main and stage a big game where all three factions duke it out. I'd like to do the same for every other set, but that's a LOT of collecting, so I'll just stick with SM for now.

So that's my life story. :p Other fun facts: I like fast cars, tattoos, and good rap music. I dislike food, high temperatures, and smart phones. Also, I've never actually rode on a ship, unless you count small ferries, haha.

Anyway, hope to enjoy my time on here.
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:55 am Reply with quote

big_money wrote:
Howdy folks! New guy here, and big fan of Pirates CSG. My first exposure to it was Christmas in 2005 I think, when I got a couple tins as gifts, from the first set and Revolution as well. I was like 11 years old and really into pirates, so I got into trying to collect all the ships. Didn't end up getting very many, as my parents never really bought me stuff that often, but I remember spending hours looking at all the different types of ships on the old website.

At that age I would go through many different interests, so the pirates one didn't last that long, but I did get back into it when Rise of the Fiends came out. I actually managed to obtain most of the ships from that set, including the glow-in-the-dark Specter, which was one of my prize possessions at the time, haha. But soon afterwards I moved on yet again. I don't think my parents still have my old collection at their house, but if they do it's probably in pieces unfortunately.

Fast forward to a couple months ago, when I just randomly remembered Pirates CSG and did a search on it. I found that they discontinued the product not long after I stopped collecting. Kinda lame, as it would be neat to see what else they would have done with it. I actually liked all the fantasy stuff, 'cause it added variety even if it was unrealistic. So anyway, I recently bought a sealed Spanish Main pack on Amazon, the first pack in ten years (wow). Opening it was a very nostalgic moment. I got the Zephyr, La Joya del Sol, Comandante Luys de Alva, and a pirate musketeer. They now sit atop my bookshelf.

So yeah, I was always more into the collectable aspect. I think I tried to play the game a few times, but could never really figure it out. Heck, even now I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the rules, though I think I can actually play it now, haha. I'd like to try it out, but I'll need more ships first. I really want to get every single ship in Spanish Main and stage a big game where all three factions duke it out. I'd like to do the same for every other set, but that's a LOT of collecting, so I'll just stick with SM for now.

So that's my life story. :p Other fun facts: I like fast cars, tattoos, and good rap music. I dislike food, high temperatures, and smart phones. Also, I've never actually rode on a ship, unless you count small ferries, haha.

Hello there! I'm around the same age as you, and I rediscovered the game a few years ago too. La Joya del Sol is actually a pretty dang good ship to pull from a pack, so I hope you enjoyed assembling it.

What kinds of cars are you into? I'm a part-time automotive journalist, and I drive a 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote

big_money wrote:

Welcome to the forum! 2005 was also the year I got into Pirates, but I had a similar hiatus too (mine was from after DJC came out in 2006 until sometime in 2010/early 2011).

If you turned 11 in 2005, you may have just joined a considerable group of active Pirates fans who were born in 1994. Seems like a good year to be born for being a fan of this game. Smile

Your talking about the rules further confirms what I already know from teaching new players - the game only has a "complexity rating" of 1.78/5 on BoardGameGeek, but for most people, you could rate it 3.5+. I think the early status as a "beer and pretzels" game belied how complicated it eventually became, and most non-gamers find it quite complex.
big_money

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcomes! Sorry my reply is a week late, but I work a lot and free time is limited.

Quote:
Hello there! I'm around the same age as you, and I rediscovered the game a few years ago too. La Joya del Sol is actually a pretty dang good ship to pull from a pack, so I hope you enjoyed assembling it.

Yeah, I realized that ship is tied for the largest cargo hold in the set. Pretty cool. Assembling it was fun, but a lot harder than I remember. Maybe 'cause my hands are much bigger now, haha. Unfortunately some of the paint/ink or whatever got scraped off while sliding the pieces together. Not sure if it's because it's so old at this point or what, but I definitely don't remember that ever happening. Ugh, oh well. It's not that noticeable.

Quote:
What kinds of cars are you into? I'm a part-time automotive journalist, and I drive a 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

Really? That's awesome. What publication do you write for? I like anything that's fast, good-looking, and good-sounding. I currently drive a 2007 Corvette Z06, which fits all three categories quite well. Very Happy Next I want a Ferrari or a Lambo, but I need to save some more, haha.

Quote:
Welcome to the forum! 2005 was also the year I got into Pirates, but I had a similar hiatus too (mine was from after DJC came out in 2006 until sometime in 2010/early 2011).

If you turned 11 in 2005, you may have just joined a considerable group of active Pirates fans who were born in 1994. Seems like a good year to be born for being a fan of this game.

Haha, yeah I was born in November '94. Maybe it was just an impressionable age or something. I think that was around when the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie came out too. That pretty much got me interested in pirates in the first place, and I bet the same can be said for others.

Quote:
Your talking about the rules further confirms what I already know from teaching new players - the game only has a "complexity rating" of 1.78/5 on BoardGameGeek, but for most people, you could rate it 3.5+. I think the early status as a "beer and pretzels" game belied how complicated it eventually became, and most non-gamers find it quite complex.

Yeah, I'm definitely not much of a gamer. I used to collect Pokemon cards as well, and I never figured out how to play that game either. I like the idea of the Pirates game because of how much freedom you have. You could set up a whole story behind your game and play throughout the entire house if you wanted. Definitely want to try that at some point. I'll probably need to turn it into a single-player game for me though 'cause I don't really have anyone to play with.
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:10 pm Reply with quote

big_money wrote:
Really? That's awesome. What publication do you write for? I like anything that's fast, good-looking, and good-sounding. I currently drive a 2007 Corvette Z06, which fits all three categories quite well. Very Happy Next I want a Ferrari or a Lambo, but I need to save some more, haha.
I'm writing for TheDrive.com, you can find my content here if interested. A Z06 is way faster than probably anything I'll ever own, what kind of car are you looking at upgrading to? An F430, a Gallardo? Or something newer, like a Huracan or 458/488?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:43 pm Reply with quote

big_money wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I realized that ship is tied for the largest cargo hold in the set. Pretty cool. Assembling it was fun, but a lot harder than I remember. Maybe 'cause my hands are much bigger now, haha. Unfortunately some of the paint/ink or whatever got scraped off while sliding the pieces together. Not sure if it's because it's so old at this point or what, but I definitely don't remember that ever happening. Ugh, oh well. It's not that noticeable.

Paint can scrape off during assembly, especially for certain sets (in my experience, DJC/MI/OE). It could be from age a bit, but in my experience it has far more to do with the set itself and/or the print run.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm definitely not much of a gamer. I used to collect Pokemon cards as well, and I never figured out how to play that game either. I like the idea of the Pirates game because of how much freedom you have. You could set up a whole story behind your game and play throughout the entire house if you wanted. Definitely want to try that at some point. I'll probably need to turn it into a single-player game for me though 'cause I don't really have anyone to play with.

Nice, I used to do Pokemon too haha. Someday I'd like to have a relatively large "Pirates room" but it's a long ways off. Three campaign games have already been played on the VASSAL module, which is a way of playing virtually with anyone in the world. (since you don't have other people to play with right now)
big_money

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:36 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm writing for TheDrive.com, you can find my content here if interested. A Z06 is way faster than probably anything I'll ever own, what kind of car are you looking at upgrading to? An F430, a Gallardo? Or something newer, like a Huracan or 458/488?

That's sweet, I think I've heard of that website. Do you ever write reviews, or just news articles? I've always thought that would be a cool job.

Right now I'm going back and forth between 458 and Murcielago. They're at the same price point, and each have their own set of pros and cons. I'll have to drive both to see which one I like better. But it'll be a while yet, probably after I secure an engineering job. (I do assembly now.)

Quote:
Nice, I used to do Pokemon too haha. Someday I'd like to have a relatively large "Pirates room" but it's a long ways off. Three campaign games have already been played on the VASSAL module, which is a way of playing virtually with anyone in the world. (since you don't have other people to play with right now)

So VASSAL is like an online game simulator? Huh, didn't know there was such a thing. I might look into it if I have some spare time, but I'd probably get my butt whooped, haha.

As an aside, I'll probably buy another SM pack soon as an Easter present to myself. Very Happy Come to think of it I believe I've gotten Pirates packs for Easter when I was younger.
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:00 am Reply with quote

big_money wrote:
That's sweet, I think I've heard of that website. Do you ever write reviews, or just news articles? I've always thought that would be a cool job.

Right now I'm going back and forth between 458 and Murcielago. They're at the same price point, and each have their own set of pros and cons. I'll have to drive both to see which one I like better. But it'll be a while yet, probably after I secure an engineering job. (I do assembly now.)
I'm just a contributor for a moment (contracted) so I don't do reviews at the time being. After I'm done with school, though, I will be able to work full time, and I'll tell the editorial staff that I'm interested in moving up to either an editor or staff writer position. The latter would give me access to the end goal for all car writers: Press cars.

Most of what I do is news, but I do F1 coverage, special car builds, and op-eds now and then.

And regarding those cars, I'd probably do a Murcielago, but that's my limited opinion as someone who's driven neither. I think it was the last cool Lamborghini, and while the 458 is something truly special, I've never been a big fan of Ferrari as a company.
captainjohnlock

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:00 am Reply with quote

Captain John Lock be me name, and sinking ships be me game, i used to own a fleet back when i was a small lad and now that i have gotten older i wish to reinvigorate me childhood through these ships, I'm from the landlocked state of Illinois yet i live in both Illinois and Colorado depending on the moment. by the end of the week i should have 77 ish ships to start my fleet
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Welcome to the crew   PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:07 am Reply with quote

captainjohnlock wrote:
Captain John Lock be me name, and sinking ships be me game, i used to own a fleet back when i was a small lad and now that i have gotten older i wish to reinvigorate me childhood through these ships, I'm from the landlocked state of Illinois yet i live in both Illinois and Colorado depending on the moment. by the end of the week i should have 77 ish ships to start my fleet

Great to see you here. Thanks for checking out my youtube stuff and signing up here.

Over the past couple years I've seen a lot of people who were into Pirates as kids and are part of a "nostalgia crowd" coming back (the results of the survey bear that out as well). You're certainly not the only one, and I myself could be considered part of that group as well. The whole nostalgia/having more money to spend as an adult factor is really interesting to me in how prevalent it seems. Between old fans having more money and a whole new generation of young folk to attract, the future of the game's prospects may be brighter than we realize.

That will be a solid number of ships to start you off - endless hours of fun to be had playing and collecting! Very Happy
captainjohnlock

Canceled user

Subject: Re: Welcome to the crew   PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:29 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
captainjohnlock wrote:

Great to see you here. Thanks for checking out my youtube stuff and signing up here.

Over the past couple years I've seen a lot of people who were into Pirates as kids and are part of a "nostalgia crowd" coming back (the results of the ] bear that out as well). You're certainly not the only one, and I myself could be considered part of that group as well. The whole nostalgia/having more money to spend as an adult factor is really interesting to me in how prevalent it seems. Between old fans having more money and a whole new generation of young folk to attract, the future of the game's prospects may be brighter than we realize.

That will be a solid number of ships to start you off - endless hours of fun to be had playing and collecting! Very Happy

never really been on a forum before and hope this works. ive got set few ships ive got my eyes on but im not holding my breath about getting all of them, and i was wanting to try the vassel (maybe thats what its called) model?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: