main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Fleet Challenge: Sea Board Dominance
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Fleet Challenge: Sea Board Dominance   PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:48 am Reply with quote

Merry Christmas Miniature Trading! Very Happy After another run of more "normal" fleet challenges, it should come as no surprise that I'm changing things up and going with a "challenging challenge" to challenge you all! Smile

The Challenge: (based on the idea by cagecrasher)
Make a 100 point fleet for a game where you must control more than half of the wild islands (at least 6 out of 11) via marines and forts in order to win.

Rules:
-Only one fleet will be allowed per player.
-All standard game rules are in effect.
-There can be fleets of multiple nationalities.
-No Events.
-No Mysterious Islands.
-No Unique Treasures.
-No game pieces with this ability.
-Eternal only works once.
-You cannot use 0LR +5 crew. (0LR rerollers are allowed along with other Limit crew)
-Game pieces from RtSS are allowed.
-Custom game pieces are not allowed.

Special Rules:
-Your fleet can include generic marines. These cost 5 points each, have the Marine keyword only, and follow the normal rules for crew. (no discounts on named marines, they function as normal)
-Use 5 point named crew as proxies for the generic marines, and note in the description which crew are marines.
cagecrasher wrote:
-The Marines can be eliminated as they would in a normal game and maintain their abilities as in a normal game with the exception that when they're eliminated they are to be automatically placed back on their original controller's home island to be picked back up by their controller for re-usage.

-If you have The Devil's Maw on an island, any marines that are eliminated will go to your home island (HI) and not get the Ghost Ship keyword. Any other crew that are eliminated will go to the Devil's Maw as normal.
-If you use named Marines, they must come from the same faction and you must have a faction-pure fleet with the exception of any minor factions. (faction-pure means you absolutely cannot have any game pieces from any of the other "Big 6" factions in your fleet (England/France/Spain/Pirates/America/Cursed)).
-If you use only a minor faction, you can have forts from ONE of the Big 6 factions in your fleet.
-Once you have a marine or fort on an island, that island is considered to be in your control. As soon as you control at least 6 wild islands at the end of a round of turns you win.
-Instead of players placing gold on the wild islands, each of the 11 wild islands will have a single gold coin worth 4 gold on them. These coins are useful for forts only - gold on home islands has no effect on the game.
-Instead of the usual ability for Paradis de la Mer, that fort now has this ability (This fort ignores the first hit she takes each turn as long as she has all of her flags.)

This could make for very interesting strategy. If you choose one of the main factions, you may be able to save points on marines because of the number of forts available (up to 3, for the Spanish). However, controlling islands through forts will be harder than dropping off a marine. Therefore, depending on the faction(s) you pick (you could have multi-faction if you don't use any named marines, though I'd prefer otherwise), you could spend less than the 30 points (6 generic marines at 5 points each) on marines. Or you could invest heavily in marines and try to get them to islands quickly. I can't wait to see how this plays out.

Fleet Scoring:
Introducing a new scoring system:
+10 points for each game your fleet wins on the VASSAL module
+X points for all the votes your fleet gets in the fleets section (ex: your fleet would score 12 points if you had three votes from different people that were all 4's)
-The fleet with the highest number of points will be declared the winner.
-Please post an explanation of your ratings of the fleets, and do not abstain from voting on others' fleets because you want them to score lower. If you have time to make a 100 point fleet for a slightly complicated challenge then you have time to look at a few other fleets and judge them fairly.

-Each fleet will play at least one game on VASSAL, and each fleet will end up with an equal amount of games played. Depending on the number of entries, there may be two 1v1 games or possibly just one larger multiplayer game. In the case of a tie, I will pick a winner or another game will be played between the tied fleets.

This provides a mix of community democratic voting (how good the fleets are on paper or in theory) as well as practical gameplay (how good the fleets actually are).

Go HERE for the VASSAL thread. It contains links to the program and the Pirates module, as well as plenty of help to get it up and running.

More Stuff:
-If you make use of RtSS items: Since none of the RtSS items are in the database, you'll have to use existing items as proxies in the fleet on MT. Choose a similar ship/crew/etc. with the same nationality and point cost, and in your fleet description list exactly which RtSS item will replace it. Also be sure to list the stats of all RtSS items you use so readers won't have to dig for them.
-You can make use of game pieces that are not represented in the VASSAL module, but try and stay away from sea creatures, as they are by far the biggest issue in regards to proxies (they aren't much good at carrying crew or gold anyway so I don't expect a big issue there).

-Edits after posting are okay if there are rules issues or other serious problems, but try to avoid any drastic changes.
-Please post any questions you have in this thread.
darrin wrote:
-I reserve the right to change any of the rules (particularly the scoring) at any time for arbitrary or poorly explained reasons.
(This is due to the nature of this new scoring system)

Prizes:
-Bragging rights.
-The opportunity to create the next Fleet Challenge.
-I'll dig through my extras to see if there's anything in your want list that I have (but no promises). Also, I have some sealed packs of a few different sets as well as some random "goodies" if you will. If enough people participate and spend time on VASSAL I may even send the winner one of rossinaz's custom islands. However, assuming the challenge ends after January 15th, there would be a considerable delay in shipping prizes.

Deadlines:
-The tentative Grand Reveal Day will be Saturday, January 7th. I'm willing to change this, especially due to the higher point limit and the more complicated strategy involved.

Please post in this thread if you'd like to participate. Also feel free to "claim" a faction if you're going the faction-pure route (likely using at least one named marine and preferably more than one heh), though I think an open discussion could augment that. I will likely submit a gimmicky fleet as well, especially if we have an odd number of entries.

Last edited by a7xfanben on Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:35 am Reply with quote

I'm down. I'm not going to claim a faction just yet since I like flexibility. XD

A quick question: If we use ANY named Marine, we then must build a faction pure fleet of the same nationality as that Marine?

Do you have a suggestion for proxying the generic marines? Use the five point Doctors, or use a five point event like Duel to represent them?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
A quick question: If we use ANY named Marine, we then must build a faction pure fleet of the same nationality as that Marine?

Exactly. Thematically the named marines are supposed to be against each other for this challenge, as each of them wants their own faction to control the area. Hopefully this won't prove to be too much of a hindrance - if so, perhaps fleets using a named marine could start with a 3 or 5 point advantage. (Not making that official, but still open to discussion if people feel the challenge is too limiting otherwise)

Quote:
Do you have a suggestion for proxying the generic marines? Use the five point Doctors, or use a five point event like Duel to represent them?

I forgot about proxies for the fleets section. Yes, any 5 point named crew will work as a proxy, just make sure it's clear in the description which crew the marines are.
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote

I should enter, although I can't imagine how long it will take me to create a 100 pt fleet on vassal lol
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote

If you have The Devil's Maw , will your dead Marines go there or your home island?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote

volt wrote:
If you have The Devil's Maw , will your dead Marines go there or your home island?

Home island. I'll edit the main post. Knew there'd be issues even with the big first post. Smile
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote

If we use a minor nation, are we allowed to use/pick a set of forts as per the Code?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote

volt wrote:
If we use a minor nation, are we allowed to use/pick a set of forts as per the Code?

Sure, but they must come from the same major faction. (so if you use a minor faction you cannot have forts from Spain and England, but you could have the Spanish forts)
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote

If we wanted to include as many forts as possible, would we then have to have ships from each faction that has a fort? For example if I included Dead Man's Point and El Puerto Blanco would I have to have Spanish and Pirate ships?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
If we wanted to include as many forts as possible, would we then have to have ships from each faction that has a fort? For example if I included Dead Man's Point and El Puerto Blanco would I have to have Spanish and Pirate ships?

Yes that's correct. In that case you wouldn't be able to use any named marines.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:32 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
xerecs wrote:

Yes that's correct. In that case you wouldn't be able to use any named marines.

I see, seems I need to re-work my fleet a bit. Very Happy
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote

as it seems only I and Xerecs are working on this? (I hope someone else...) Xerecs, mind telling us if you are going pure faction?

I still don't know which way I am going... heh

Also, ben, confused by your one statement in first post... if I pick Corsairs, for example, can I use Jack Hawkins, Pirate Crew, and use the named Corsair Marine? Can I use the named Pirate Marine? Can I use one or the other, both, or neither?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote

volt wrote:
as it seems only I and Xerecs are working on this? (I hope someone else...) Xerecs, mind telling us if you are going pure faction?

I still don't know which way I am going... heh

Yes, with only a few days to go it looks like just 2 entries. Between the holidays, massive (for most people) build total, intimidating first post/rules, and the references to VASSAL, most members don't want to deal with all that. Most of the stuff I initiate gets very low participation, which I've simply gotten used to at this point. I can't force people to have the same amount of passion for the game that I do.

Quote:
Also, ben, confused by your one statement in first post... if I pick Corsairs, for example, can I use Jack Hawkins, Pirate Crew, and use the named Corsair Marine? Can I use the named Pirate Marine? Can I use one or the other, both, or neither?

Basically if you use a named marine from one of the Big 6 factions, no other game pieces from any of the other Big 6 factions can be in your fleet.

Quote:
-If you use named Marines, they must come from the same faction and you must have a faction-pure fleet with the exception of any minor factions. (faction-pure means you absolutely cannot have any game pieces from any of the other "Big 6" factions in your fleet (England/France/Spain/Pirates/America/Cursed)).

So yes, you can have a fleet using Uluj Ali and still have Pirates in it because Ali is part of a minor faction. (and you could also use Grim the Savage as a Pirate because you would still only have one faction of the Big 6 in your fleet)

I forgot that there were any minor faction named marines; sorry that this contradicts one of my earlier posts. I'm still willing to push the deadline back if needed.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:55 am Reply with quote

I have started with mixed nations, but might go to a single faction. I'm facing a dilemma in my planning and fleet building.
agiantpie
Beginner
Beginner

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote

I would post a fleet but all my spare time for pirates is being consumed with dusting off (literally) my old collection and learning how to play the game again. Not ready to make a complex fleet for a special scenario when I don't really know what abilities do.

But my lack of submission is not a lack of interest!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: