main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Question about insert rarity

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Question about insert rarity   PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote

Organizing part of my collection after a few new pack openings, and I stumbled upon this insert I hadn't remembered:

I only have two copies of this one, compared to a large number of inserts with Tabitha McWarren on them with a similar message. Does anyone know if these were actually rare, and possibly as rare as the Chum Maker story? (which I have 1 of) Were there other rare inserts outside of the RotF stories? (I only have 1 type of insert for the other sets, so I'm guessing not)
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:06 pm Reply with quote

Woelf or someone else may be able to confirm or extend my explanation; but i recall reading somewhere- that the distribution of inserts in the last set [don't know if it was F&S or RotF] was screwed- and instead "one in every pack" was more of a 1:10 ratio and do to that error, WizKids just said "send us a few [rather than all] and sales reciepts, and we'll send you the ship."
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote

selvaxri wrote:
Woelf or someone else may be able to confirm or extend my explanation; but i recall reading somewhere- that the distribution of inserts in the last set [don't know if it was F&S or RotF] was screwed- and instead "one in every pack" was more of a 1:10 ratio and do to that error, WizKids just said "send us a few [rather than all] and sales reciepts, and we'll send you the ship."

Yeah, that was the case for the RotF stories, but I'm not sure about the above insert vs. the one with Tabitha on it. Of course, even if it's rarer, it's not worth anything lol. Neutral
xeriousone
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote

Knowing that you open a few more packs than I do I can tell you only this... I keep every insert and have a mass of other inserts and have the same one in my collection along with a advert for the SR pack.
As to value... I think only the most hardcore of us collectors would look for a copy of it.
As to the Woelf reference... Yes that number was given in regards to the stories rather than the other inserts.
the RotF stories seem to be closer to 1:8 (my last 2 boxes had 4 and 5 with 5 packs unopened yet).
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:53 am Reply with quote

I think I had all of the F&S stories at one time. I highly doubt I still have them, though.
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote

Inserts like this were outside the realm of anything I ever got to see, but it doesn't surprise me that there was more than one version of the sheets telling how to get the mail-in ship.

I can confirm the mess-up with the stories distribution. There was supposed to have been one in every pack, and one out of the ten was supposed to be what you'd send in for Chum Maker. Something happened during production so that only one out of ten packs got a story at all, so WK modified the promotion so you could send in any story to get the ship.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
I can confirm the mess-up with the stories distribution. There was supposed to have been one in every pack, and one out of the ten was supposed to be what you'd send in for Chum Maker. Something happened during production so that only one out of ten packs got a story at all, so WK modified the promotion so you could send in any story to get the ship.

Confused I thought that was for RotF. I'm pretty sure I've gotten a story in every F&S pack I've opened, but I only have a few from RotF.
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote

It could have been RotF. For some reason I was thinking it was the one tied to the mail-in for Chum Maker, but it could have been for Specter instead.

One of those two was messed up, for sure. Very Happy
holofernes
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote

Checking the Wiki (which I helped expand back in the day for crazy collector's sakes) I see these clarifications:

2008 - Rise of the Fiends Cursed Ship (Specter) - originally customers had to mail in the Specter story (a paper insert) from a pack, but after a packaging problem in which few of these actually packed, WizKids changed this to any story from this set, plus a receipt & postage.

2008 - Rise of the Fiend "Stories", one of ten possible paper inserts in booster packs telling different crew/ship stories. A packing error made these stories very hard to collect as they do not appear in every pack as advertised - more like one in ten packs.

2008 - Fire & Steel Cursed Scorpion Ship (Chum Maker) - customers had to mail in the Chum Maker story (a paper insert) from a pack plus a receipt, wrapper and postage

2008 - Fire & Steel "stories", one of ten possible paper inserts which appear randomly in every booster pack.

Wink Those and other amazing, mind-numbingly complete and still largely useless infobits are all available here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_Constructible_Strategy_Game
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: