Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Official newbie guide to Pirates CSG

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Official newbie guide to Pirates CSG   PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of Pirates CSG! We're glad you're aboard our ship! Very Happy

This might be a bit overwhelming at first, but it's meant as a comprehensive guide to the game for people who have just gotten started.

Introduction

First off, introduce yourself!

Next, you'll want the rules for the game. You likely received them in a pack or other purchase, but if not, here they are:
Start Here rules
Complete Game rules
Master Keyword List (very useful to have on hand since your copy of the Complete Game rules won't have all the keywords in it)

-You'll need a BoardGameGeek (BGG) account in order to download those Complete Game rules and the Master Keyword List, but we'd highly recommend signing up. BGG is a great website, and in terms of Pirates CSG it has a very unique files and pictures section not found anywhere else on the web.

-Alternatively, you can download my Basic Rules, which combine the Start Here and Complete Game rules into one document. However, keep in mind that I've made some edits to the rules to make the game more realistic and adding a few house rule tweaks. (House rules are custom rulings that players come up with based on playing preferences and other factors) If you use them, just make sure to tell anyone else that uses them that some stuff has been changed. That said, the changes are generally for the better, so have at it! Smile

Sometimes the rules won't cover how to deal with a situation when playing the game. In those cases, you'll want to have these documents:
The Pirate Code (FAQ/Errata)
Reference Diagrams

-AFTER consulting the various rules documents, if you still don't have an answer to your question, ask it in the Rules thread (where you can also clarify what violates the No-Duplicates rule and what doesn't). Luckily for the community, Woelf, the former official Rules Arbitrator for Wizkids when the game was still in production, has remained active! If nobody else can answer your question, he will definitely be able to. (but he's a very busy man, so give him time to answer!)

What to buy

The cheapest set is Ocean's Edge. This is a nice starter set between the cost, the diversity of game pieces it offers, and the fact that it has all of the "Big 6" factions.

The first five sets (Spanish Main, Crimson Coast, Revolution, Barbary Coast, and South China Seas) are the most historical, and many people agree that they are the highest quality sets as well, ranking high in various surveys and polls over the years. The sixth set, Davy Jones' Curse, is where Wizkids began to experiment more with the supernatural with the introduction of the Cursed and sea creatures. The few sets that followed DJC (Mysterious Islands, Frozen North, and Ocean's Edge) were a mix of historical stuff and plenty of fantasy/less historical stuff such as Vikings and submarines. There were a few design changes in the Pirates of the Caribbean set, where Wizkids partnered with Disney for a movie tie-in set (keep in mind this set only has the English and Pirate factions). The final 3 sets (Rise of the Fiends, Fire and Steel, and Savage Shores) were the most "out there", with odd ship designs joining the sea creatures and ship speeds and point costs reaching a new low in the reverse power creep (in other words, as sets were released they became less and less competitive with the stuff from the older sets).

In general:
-The older the set, the more historical it is.
-The older the set, the "better" it is (in terms of gameplay).
(There are exceptions to these rules but this is a good guideline)

Playing

So you're ready to play the game! But where to start? You'll need a fleet, and some kind of opponent to go up against (which can include yourself playing another fleet).

Since Pirates is such a wide-open and customizable game, there's really not a definitive "fleet-making guide". There are so many options that it would have to be an encyclopedia! Very Happy However, I made a page on my fansite that gives the general information that you'll want to keep in mind.

You'll probably want to start at a small build total, such as the standard 40 points, in order to get used to the gameplay mechanics and fleet construction strategy aspect. Over time, you may develop an affinity for a specific faction or handful of factions. My sets and factions page can help you determine which sets to buy and which factions to try out, based on your preferences.

If you're very unsure of how to make a fleet or want more guidance, there are almost 300 40 point fleets here at Miniature Trading (MT) that you can try out! The fleets section in general is a great resource.

When discussing gameplay on the various Pirates sites, there is a lot to know and learn. This acronym list can help you navigate the waters. I've also compiled some tips for gameplay, and Cadet-Captain Mike's webpage has a TON of great info.

Feel free to post what happens in your games in the Battle Reports thread. (a report does not have to be long or include pictures to be good)

What if I don't have anyone to play with? What if I don't have any Pirates stuff right now?

Guess what? You can play remotely with anyone in the world over an online server!

VASSAL is an free, open source engine for running boardgames over an online server. Luckily for all of us, former MT member bj_o created a module for Pirates CSG! I made a few edits to the module in 2016, which you can find here:
VASSAL module

That thread has links to download the program and module, as well as a guide to getting started. In addition, I made a tutorial for how to use it.

The module has seen over a dozen players on it since it's "rebirth" in early 2016. I'm on the module every week, and I'd love to have more opponents!

Collecting

If you're more of a collector, eBay is generally the best site for purchases. Check out this price history to see about what things are worth or have been going for recently.

You'll definitely want to take advantage of this site's main purpose - trading miniatures! This page gives a nice overview of the site's various features, including adding items to your haves and wants lists. Use the search for a miniature function to figure out what you have, don't have, and want. The trading how-to guide is also quite useful. It's often better to PM (private message) a user to ask them about a trade offer before sending it, but don't hesitate to reach out to people either way!

Conclusion

Go forth and plunder, new pirate! Very Happy

After playing your first game, there is no limit to what you can accomplish. Try out a trade. Collect the rarest of the rare. Seek out admirals in other countries and challenge them to games on the VASSAL module.

For those who want to go deeper into these waters, boy do we have stuff for you! Shocked

-The Thread of Threads has a lot of great stuff in it, especially under "Very useful threads". Peruse at your leisure, as many of your questions and thoughts have been answered and discussed at length in the history of this great forum.

-Participate in a Fleet Challenge! The Archive thread can be a useful reference to understanding how they function, and for ideas on building fleets. We could always use more participants and we appreciate your interest.

-Participate in a Miniature Review Contest! These are a recent tradition that lets you test your reviewing skills against other members.

If you really want to "go down the rabbit hole", there is an endless amount of content to dive into. Checking out Game Ideas would be a good start, not to mention the entire Thread of Threads. Beyond that, you can give up your soul.

Finally, Miniature Trading might be the best site for Pirates CSG, but it's not nearly the only one. Check out this page for a plethora of other options, many of which have unique features and community members. I am a member on all of them, so if you ever have a question, just ask.

Thank you for reading. Now go play! Very Happy

~~~~~~~~~~

What do people think of this? What can I add/improve? I'm trying to make it complete for a newbie but not so overwhelming that we have links and references to everything.

Last edited by a7xfanben on Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total
conormacmillen

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for this. As an old player getting back into the game, this is the perfect resource
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote

conormacmillen wrote:
Thank you for this. As an old player getting back into the game, this is the perfect resource

Glad to have you back! Happy to hear it's already been beneficial.
vixenishcoder66
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote

Looks great and very thorough. I still have a few things on this list I need to do like explore BGG more.
conormacmillen

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:24 am Reply with quote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: