main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Interest in Ocean Terrain Contest #3

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think you'd participate in the third Ocean Terrain Contest? (READ BELOW)
Yes
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Interest in Ocean Terrain Contest #3   PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote

The Ocean Terrain Contest is somewhat of a tradition here at Miniature Trading. It has been over 6 years since the second one ended. Since then, there have been lots of new members, many of whom joined after the close of the most recent contest. There are many members who are interested in playing Pirates, as evidenced by the number of players on VASSAL and posting battle reports over the past year or two. In addition, between the Custom Islands and Terrain thread, the prevalence of Rossinaz's custom islands, and some varied interest at the subreddit, there has been continuing and even rising interest in making custom stuff for Pirates CSG. With that said, I think it's time to have a discussion and gauge interest in the potential for a possible THIRD Official Ocean Terrain Contest.

Here are links to the old threads and voting threads for useful reference. They give a very good idea of what the contest entails, and you should be able to view the picture links (even the photobucket ones for now) to get an idea of what entries looked like.

Official Ocean Terrain Board Contest
Ocean Terrain Contest Voting Thread

Oceans Contest 2.0
Oceans Contest Voting Thread: The Easier Version (SO VOTE!!)

In case it wasn't already obvious, this type of contest requires a commitment far beyond the Fleet Challenges and Miniature Review Contests. The previous two contests of this type gave about 6 months from the start to the submission deadline. However, given how long it's been since the last one, the smaller fanbase/potential participant pool, and how long things like this take in general, I'm proposing a full year for this one. I'm not saying I would host it, and if you'd like to, please state your interest. However, I think a longer deadline could work better for a lot of people (myself included), and besides, if this got going soon, 6 months from now is around the time of the busy holiday season.

There are various other parameters to work out, mainly the voting criteria and how the contest would work, but first we can see if there's interest.

Finally, I would highly recommend two criteria for the rules, if this contest comes to fruition:

1. You do not NEED to have an actual "board" (this can make things far more expensive, and space constraints are another issue. Making a lot of custom islands/terrain/etc and placing it on a blue fabric sheet can look just as good, with the additional benefits of being a) far more portable, and b) far more customizable, as you're not gluing an island onto one spot of the board forever)

2. Only things made during the submission period count (again, likely an entire YEAR). (or else Xerecs, myself, and likely others would have an early and potentially unfair advantage, especially with some of the potential entrants having only discovered Pirates earlier this year for example)

One of the biggest issues would be prizes. I can contribute a limited number of relatively common ships/crew/UT's (C/U/R rarities) and maybe some sealed packs. In this day and age I wouldn't expect anyone to help a lot with prize support. However, the idea of everyone contributing $10 or $20 at the beginning and then pooling money for a prize at the end is an interesting concept. Perhaps the winner would get all the gold (lol), or 75% with second and third place getting 15% and 5%, etc. Either way, this could also serve to discourage what I would call "false hopers" - people who show all sorts of interest up front and then fail to submit an entry or disappear from the site by the time the contest ends. Rolling Eyes

Please comment!
vixenishcoder66
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote

First off I like the entire concept of this challenge. Looking over the two previous challenges there were some very impressive island layouts made. (the photobucket epidemic also began to take an effect as well.) I understand and agree with ben's concern about people committing to the challenge but then dropping out "false hopers". I did that recently with the fleet review challenge back in may so I am guilty of that.

As for my involvement I voted yes but it will really depend on the parameters determined for it. I have been considering making a few custom islands and terrain for myself. However, I was planning on one or two islands to start along with terrain not the large sets that this challenge involved previously. The time it would take me to gather craft supplies and actually learn how to make these islands would be more than I am willing to devote to a large scale challenge.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote

vixenishcoder66 wrote:
As for my involvement I voted yes but it will really depend on the parameters determined for it. I have been considering making a few custom islands and terrain for myself. However, I was planning on one or two islands to start along with terrain not the large sets that this challenge involved previously. The time it would take me to gather craft supplies and actually learn how to make these islands would be more than I am willing to devote to a large scale challenge.

I understand. I would also be unable to make stuff comparable to the past Ocean Terrain Contests. In fact, I'm not sure who would have the time and resources for that kind of project that still resides in the community and hasn't done it before. As a result, I think the parameters would be open-ended and not very restrictive. There's no need to have a board or to have an ocean that measures a certain square footage - this would only limit how many participants we might end up having. People could make one ridiculously amazing island, which might stand a chance in the voting process against an entire ocean worth of stuff that doesn't look or work as good as the one item.

As of now we have 3 yeses, so with one or two more I think this would be a go! Very Happy
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote

I don't think I have time to engage in it myself. Also, I think we might all get shown up by rossinaz.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote

I vote a tentative yes. This seems like loads of fun, if only to see what others do. I've got a blueprint for my first 3D island, so I assume that it'd be legal for whenever this gets going? In any case I'm in.
The tentative part come from not knowing EXACTLY what i'm going to be doing for the next year and a half. Very Happy
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
I vote a tentative yes. This seems like loads of fun, if only to see what others do. I've got a blueprint for my first 3D island, so I assume that it'd be legal for whenever this gets going? In any case I'm in.

Yeah, right now we have 4 yeses (one is mine), which I would say is the minimum we should have. Of course they're all dependent on other things, but I think some more yeses could come in as well. As a result, this looks like a go, but I'm going to leave the poll for a while longer. I can make the thread by the end of the month or so.

In the meantime, I think any stuff made from this point forward can count for the contest.

Quote:
The tentative part come from not knowing EXACTLY what i'm going to be doing for the next year and a half. Very Happy

Sorry if I was misleading; I meant a year from whenever this starts, which would likely be next month rather than until the end of 2018.

Any more feedback on the prizes idea? I just don't want to start the thread and ask for money (likely to be held by a trustworthy person like Woelf or a non-participant) and then have people not participate. Even $10 would be fine, as we could get maybe $50 pretty easily. The risk of losing your "investment" could hopefully incentivize people too.
vixenishcoder66
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Any more feedback on the prizes idea?

I can take a look at what duplicates I have to offer but it's unlikely they will be highly desirable. I did receive recently a fair amount of original print and unpunched Pirates of the Spanish Main cards so some collectors may prize a few of those.

Personally I am more interested in building my pirate collection than cash. (of course that cash can go to buying more pirates) From a motivation perspective I do see its value. Perhaps the collected pot could be used to purchase packs in bulk that could then be distributed out to the winners. Although that may doesn't guarantee anything good would come from the packs. Plus the winners could just as easily buy pirates for themselves but buying in bulk is cheaper.

Useful Links
Ben already posted the links to the threads from the previous challenges and I found several links in them for tutorials on how to make terrain. While I am sure most of you all are proficient googlers and can find this on your own but here are a few links that you may find useful. Also youtube is full of videos.

www.terragenesis.co.uk
www.shiftinglands.com/projects/other-projects/p-o-t-s-m-tables-islands
www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php
https://robhawkinshobby.blogspot.com/p/terrain-tutorials.html
http://www.stormthecastle.com/miniatures/use-foam-to-make-miniature-terrain.htm
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote

vixenishcoder66 wrote:
Personally I am more interested in building my pirate collection than cash. (of course that cash can go to buying more pirates) From a motivation perspective I do see its value. Perhaps the collected pot could be used to purchase packs in bulk that could then be distributed out to the winners. Although that may doesn't guarantee anything good would come from the packs. Plus the winners could just as easily buy pirates for themselves but buying in bulk is cheaper.

I am mostly satisfied with my collection, and wouldn't be likely to receive anything new from any packs I would get if I got a prize. I also have plenty of packs already and duplicates to give away to new players. On the flipside, if I won cash I could potentially purchase some rare stuff that I can't even get from packs.

The idea of having a Pirates prize is more thematic, but we need to consider all participants - money is likely the only one-size-fits-all solution, for better or worse.

Thank you for adding those links for easy reference!

If it is alright with everyone else, I am planning to start the official contest thread by the end of the month or so.
rossinaz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote

I love this idea Ben! Anything that will encourage players to venture into the fray of building their own islands is a great idea. I have a number of sealed packs from various sets that I would be willing to donate for the prize so if that is what is decided as the prize, let me know and I can list out what I can donate.

Additionally, contest aside, if anyone has questions on building islands, materials, etc., I am happy to help! Just let me know.

Thanks for starting this one up again!

Rossinaz
ahoy_scott
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote

I still have some ideas I left uncompleted at the last oceans contest. A new Oceans contest is a perfect time to get on them. I'm in. I can contribute up to $20 in a matching contribution to whatever everyone else throws into the pot.
wifey
Beginner
Beginner

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:06 am Reply with quote

I would like very much to enter! Give me a chance to flex my creative muscles... Also, I don't really have much in the way for actual prizes per se, but I can gladly pitch in money to go towards it/them!
ahoy_scott
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:29 am Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the user "Buckland" who entered the Oceans Contest 2.0 is still around? As I was looking at the 2.0 thread for some ideas, the written descriptions of some of his (her?) stuff engaged my sense of wonder. When I tried to click through to the images, photoshop errored. (Surprise!) Anyway, I'd like to see Buckland's stuff again, if I could.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: