Ocean Terrain Contest #3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krazykat

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote

rossinaz wrote:
Hey Krazykat!
The paints that I use are the cheapest ones I could find at my local hobby store, Hobby Lobby. I have seen the same ones in a number of other stores including Wal-Mart, Target, and Michaels. Wally World and Target didn't have the same selection of colors, but they had the basic ones. They are typically a medium bottle, about 2 ounces, and cost less than a dollar. I think the brand I have the most colors from is "Anitas Acrylic Paint".
Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck. Can't wait to see your results.

RossinAZ

Thanks Ross! I found a few paints at my Uni's store art section that I'm gonna try out as well as a 'textured' stone spray that looks very promising. I'm excited to start building some stuff out!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:13 am Reply with quote

Today I got another BIG haul!! Very Happy

Starting with the biggest pieces. These two are about 26 by 24 inches, though it's not the highest quality or strongest foam I've found. I don't know what I'm doing with hardly any of this (if anything), so feel free to make suggestions!

These two big blocks are also 26 inches long, and are similar to some of the other chunks I've acquired. The usual castle/fortress/high landmass ideas come to mind. So far I haven't thought of a good use for the various indentations and what they could turn into when widened or punched through to the other side.

Ship for scale! XD (The Thomas Jefferson was not sunk in CTO lol)

I took this one to show the large size in addition to how deep the farthest indentation is.

More nice flat boards, these ones are about 13x17 and 13x12. Could be cut into a variety of things - good for bases of large objects or for making a lot of similar wild islands.

Random pieces... the one at the left is cool since it has been sheared off like a beach slope, so it's almost good to go without any additional shaping. The L/corner shaped pieces are intriguing to me, but not much other than castle walls/etc has come to mind so far. Especially when turned upside down, perhaps like a breakwater or levee. Now that I think about it, perhaps they could be like exterior fortified docks on the edges of harbors.

The smallest pieces are actually what I found most exciting!! DRYDOCKS!!! XD Laughing These are cardboard moldings that you could find easily - they are from the tops and bottoms of boxes that hold fluorescent tubular lightbulbs. Here they could be PERFECT as drydocks for ships that are being built (such as in Captain Vendari's campaign ruleset that has been incorporated into the World ruleset), or ships that need extensive repair work. Almost as soon as I saw them I knew they would be a perfect size for this idea.

Here I envision a massive amount of drydock space connected to a larger harbor/fortress area. Maybe sometime I'll be able to have a full Royal Navy Dockyard! Very Happy

Not nearly as good or historical an idea, but flipping them over reveals yet another solid submarine hideout spot.

The whole haul. This alone could be turned into a solid entry for this contest, and this is just a portion of all the stuff I've been accumulating since August. Though most of this likely won't be used in the contest, I'll try to save it for future projects. There's only so much stuff I'll be able to make in the coming months, but regardless of the contest it would be great to utilize the resources I now have available.

Any ideas/feedback welcome!

Last edited by a7xfanben on Thu May 03, 2018 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:18 am Reply with quote

Got this awesomely massive piece of corrugated cardboard today. It's overwhelmingly large so I'd cut it down into smaller pieces... of course, I've been thinking about how best to take advantage of its unique shape. The ship for scale is in the middle "channel" part, which could be like a canal leading from a fortified harbor out to the sea. Problem is the logistics of getting ships in an out of course haha.

I could make it into a natural docking area by cutting out some of the lower areas:

I could combine it with a larger complex of a naval yard or buildings, like making it the wharf area next to a town. The piece has potential, but I'm not sure what to do with it yet.

Maybe I'm taking this too far, but a simple egg carton could possibly be turned into something cool.

Inside you have plenty of peaks and valleys, which could be arranged to form something more natural looking perhaps.

Last edited by a7xfanben on Thu May 03, 2018 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
lovejoyz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote

I'm the least handy person ever... I want some island terrain. I want to get these all set up for Christmas for my boys, so when they come out they are all over. But, I don't care much for the regular islands. The Crimson Coast island sets are stupid expensive of course.

Any other games, or ideas to get some nice little islands? (besides make my own) I'm looking into making them, but want a backup plan in case I can't get to it by Christmas.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote

lovejoyz wrote:
I'm the least handy person ever... I want some island terrain. I want to get these all set up for Christmas for my boys, so when they come out they are all over. But, I don't care much for the regular islands. The Crimson Coast island sets are stupid expensive of course.

Any other games, or ideas to get some nice little islands? (besides make my own) I'm looking into making them, but want a backup plan in case I can't get to it by Christmas.

If he has time to make them soon, Rossinaz sells them. Beyond that, you could search for "miniature islands"/etc.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote

Here's an idea! Looks like some other relevant videos on that channel as well.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote

So we are about halfway through on this! About 6 months left until the 8/1/2018 deadline. Still awaiting money from xerecs, rossinaz, and vixenishcoder66, along with anybody else who is interested.
ahoy_scott
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:23 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
So we are about halfway through on this! About 6 months left until the 8/1/2018 deadline.

I don't log into MT as often as I used to. But, every time I do, this "deadline" (which I have freely chosen to apply to me since I am choosing to enter) looms closer and closer. I'm not quite at the last minute scramble point yet, but it is looking like it is going that way.
wifey
Beginner
Beginner

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:54 pm Reply with quote

Right, so, looking through what's already on, all that's going through my mind is "What have I gotten myself into?!?" I am nowhere near a master crafter, and I'm starting to freak out......
rossinaz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:06 pm Reply with quote

No master crafters allowed! Smile Just those that have fun making their own terrain for this great game!
xerecs

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:21 pm Reply with quote

wifey wrote:
Right, so, looking through what's already on, all that's going through my mind is "What have I gotten myself into?!?" I am nowhere near a master crafter, and I'm starting to freak out......

No need to be a 'master crafter' just put some stuff together that you're proud of.

Speaking of..... I need to get to work on my islands, I have some 'special' materials I've acquired, and I need to put them to good use. Twisted Evil
xerecs

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:06 am Reply with quote

Works in Progress. I'll be submitting my $20 soon.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
Works in Progress. I'll be submitting my $20 soon.

Thanks for making that, since it has started to rekindle my interest in OTC3. I've hardly thought about making new stuff or changing the "old stuff" since before Command the Oceans started in early September. With the deadline now less than 4 months away, I might actually do more for my entry. Or not. Laughing

Edit: Ugh, I have used imgur to change the email picture link and changed text since postimages is quite unsatisfactory. Now the pictures I've posted so far are gone too. Sad Who knows if forums will ever have a good source of picture linking ever again....
rossinaz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject: The Frozen North Islands   PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:27 am Reply with quote

Here is my next entry for our Terrain Contest .....

Islands of the Frozen North!
These islands are located in the far northern reaches of the world. Winters here are harsh and the landscape is even harsher.

This is my first attempt with snow effects. I like the result, but they are a bit messy to make.

I made a new set of icebergs as well:

I hope you like them!

Ross in AZ
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:11 am Reply with quote

@Ross: Very nice! The snowy islands certainly add a unique touch to the existing islands based on the Frozen North. Would be perfect for a game with the Sleigh . Icebergs look good too.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: