Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Every Icebreaker, Ranked

View previous topic :: View next topic  
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject: Every Icebreaker, Ranked   PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:15 am Reply with quote

Alright boys and girls, it's time for my weekly ship ranking thread. This time, I'm talking about a ship type that appeared in one, and only one set: Icebreakers. With only 7 in the game, this will be a short list, so prepare it as light reading while you stand in line for coffee.

7: La Hada

La Hada is a combination of weak attributes and situational abilities, and yet, she costs a whole 12 points. There are so, so many better ships at this size and cost for every faction. Even with my obsession with using powerful faction-exclusive abilities like Cargo Masters at every turn, this ship isn't redeemed, as her stats just aren't good enough to be worth padding.

6: Urd

What's brown and rhymes with bird? Yeah, you guessed it, Urd! By her marginally better base stats alone, she's leaps and bounds better than La Hada, as her armament and hold can at least be called average, rather than subpar. Her keyword makes no sense on an icebreaker, as she won't be evading boarding action, and the icebreaker keyword allows for her to ignore terrain anyway. As a whole, though, I think that her superior cargo and armament allow much more to be done with her, even if she is one point more expensive.

5: USS Cheyenne

USS Cheyenne takes things a step further than Urd by having a feasible use, as her ability is a rare one, and it matches the icebreaker's role as a support ship. She can clear up paths for gold runners, as well as exploring islands in advance. Her cost, however, is on the extreme end for a three masted ship, so she's still not quite in the neighborhood of desirable ships. I see her best setup as being with a SAT, Helmsman, and maybe a reroller.

4: Le Breton

The Obago in icebreaker form, I say. Not cheap, not fast, not especially well armed, but that ability does at least open her up to use some strong faction-exclusive abilities. She also ties with the next two ships for the biggest holds of the icebreakers.

3: Beowulf

a7xfanben and I disagree on this, but I think the +1 boarding roll bonus is a solid ability. This ship has a clearer purpose, in that she's a slightly more offense-oriented ship, and with her L-range guns in the back, she can fire all her guns before ramming, provided you get the right angle of attack. Again, though, she's not quite at the point of being a good ship for what she costs, though the next two ships get closer to that...

2: Polaris

An easily used ability, and a lower cost than Beowulf. With what amounts to the same armament, move, and hold, she's just better. There's still strong competition at his price bracket, so she has to concede the top spot to...

1: HMS Granville

HMS Granville is forward with her use: she's a warship with some utility for gold runners. Her hold space is terrible, and her move subpar, but she has the only rank 2 gun of any icebreaker, and her ability is on the nasty side, and one I've used to delightful effect on Divine Dragon to bypass the defensive ability of HMS Dauntless. She's the type of ship I'd combine with the Hermione Gold + Trevor Van Tyne pairing, as well as a boarding +1, reroller, or SAT crew. She still falls short of other ships of even her own faction in this points neighborhood, like HMS Nautilus and HMS London, however, and for just two points more you can have the awesome HMS Gallows.

Icebreakers are cool ships, but it is disappointing that they came out half-baked, and are really worth using only in games where icebergs cover the play area. I hope to play that scenario some time, though...
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote

I think we are in agreement! Surprised Though, I might switch the top two, especially since I love the combo of using the Polaris with Sigurd.

Not sure if it's a database error, but the 3S gun on the Beowulf appears to be at the stern, in which case that would mean the armament is reversed:

Quote:
-Mismatched Cannons: The cannons shown on a deckplate card typically correspond to the cannons shown on the masts of a ship in a left-to-right, front-to-back arrangement. However, if all cannons shown on the deckplate match the cannons on the masts but their order is different, the masts take priority (example: 3S-3S-3L vs. 3S-3L-3S). If one or more cannons cannot be matched in any order, the deckplate takes priority (example: 2S-3S-4S vs. 3S-4L-4S)

Icebreakers were disappointing; I would have enjoyed more oddballs among the lot. Perhaps one with S speed and 5 cargo, or S+S speed with rank-5 cannons but a good ability. They're all rather similar even compared to other rare one-off ship types. (such as bombardiers and hoists)

Obligatory pictures from Command the Oceans of these ships *actually* breaking icebergs in two! Laughing Very Happy

woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Every Icebreaker, Ranked   PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote

godmason wrote:
3: Beowulf
a7xfanben and I disagree on this, but I think the +1 boarding roll bonus is a solid ability.

I think everyone agrees that +1 to boarding is a solid ability.

The problem is that it was far more valuable and useful back in the early days before Wizkids doubled the price.

Quote:
1: HMS Granville
...and her ability is on the nasty side...
HMS Granville deserves some credit for having the most thematically-appropriate use of that ability in the entire game.

It's safe to assume that any ship built up enough to break through massive blocks of ice would also be able to do some serious damage to any wooden ship they plowed into. That should almost be an embedded part of the Icebreaker keyword...
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote

I agree, I think that ability would have made every icebreaker more interesting, though I'm not totally sure it would redeem a ship like La Hada.
crsluggo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote

So, the Pirates didn't get an Ice breaker? Interesting...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: