main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Hijack this thread! And, reply to other's hijacks! ;)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should be done about the limit to 2 actions per ship?
I'm a loyalist, a Woelfitarian - let the limit stand!
64%
 64%  [ 31 ]
Yarr, to the depths with the limit! Bring back me power builds!
16%
 16%  [ 8 ]
Meh, I'm sick of all this dice rolling - limit it to 1 action instead (pity that all extra action crew will now be useless, but thus is the price of progress...)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Make it a limit of 0 and decide the game on which fleet looks the prettiest in port!
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Double Yarr, I don't care for the rules! I play by no Code!
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Triple Yarr, let the limit stand but only for me opponents!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Wait, there's a limit on extra actions? Since when?
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
I don't have an opinion but I like voting in polls. I collect "I voted" stickers.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 48

lord_denton
Guru
Guru

Subject: Hijack this thread! And, reply to other's hijacks! ;)   PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:36 am Reply with quote

Recently, the Axis & Allies ForuMINI board has had some very spirited (and verging on heated) debate about the third fanmade deck that is continuing where Wizards of the Coast dropped the game. In an effort to lighten things up a bit they made a thread whose purpose was to parody the tendency towards drama on the board. Here is the link:

http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/Hijack_This_Thread_about41646.html

I want to do something similar on here, but for a different purpose. I just want to put some spark back into the community as we sit around without any community-building-type things going on. So, respond to people's posts but go on tangents and tangents of tangents, post about random things but do have it somewhat related to the Pirates CSG realm, and have fun! Very Happy (Look to the foruMINI thread for some inspiration and guidelines!) Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, let's start with the problem of the extra action limit. Confused Was Woelf in his right mind to go messing with people's power builds? Did this nuisance really need to be eliminated? Should we really be letting someone from Wisconsin (or at least that's where his trader page SAYS he's from), a mostly landlocked state I might add, be telling us what our San Cristobals can and cannot do and defining what power is in our game???

(Not that I have a San Cristobal Crying or Very sad - how much do those run nowadays? Not physically run of course but monetarily run?)

Edit 6/16/2016: Inspired by A7's recent post about the conflict between my suggestion to respond to other people and the hijacking nature of this thread, I added an extra sentence to the thread title. Wink But, I looked back, and the spirit of replying to other hijacks has always been a part of this thread anyway,

lord_denton in 2014 wrote:
So, respond to people's posts but go on tangents and tangents of tangents, post about random things but do have it somewhat related to the Pirates CSG realm, and have fun! Very Happy

I'm really proud of me from 2014 - I planned ahead! Cool And no, I didn't add that just now, or edit this post in any other way. Very Happy

Last edited by lord_denton on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Hijack this thread!   PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote

Thanks for getting me to log in for the first time in 2 weeks.

I voted for the first choice; the game needs the parity that the limit provides. Plus if you think about it realistically, when would a ship ever get more than 2 broadsides against an enemy vessel before getting hit with return fire?

lord_denton wrote:
Not that I have a San Cristobal Crying or Very sad - how much do those run nowadays? Not physically run of course but monetarily run?

I actually have a document of past Pirates stuff on eBay, and this is according to my records:

R San Cristobal: $9.99
R San Cristobal: $5
R San Cristobal: $2
Both versions of San Cristobal: $16.05

Those first 3 entries should be in chronological order, so the price has been falling rapidly. That probably won't continue, but at least they are relatively affordable. I wouldn't pay more than $6 for one, but I don't have one either. Smile
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:57 am Reply with quote

Okay, I just got to 500 posts and I think that some people might possibly enjoy looking at the list, so:

THREAD HIJACKED

The values for each individual listing that is duplicated goes from the least recent to the most recent (ex: the first listing of each ten master is from ~2 years ago - though that's just a guess as to when I started recording these).

Guichuan: $37
Guichuan: $46
Guichuan: $46.55
Guichuan: $39.99
Guichuan: $35.00
Guichuan: $24.50
Guichuan: $32.99
Delusion: $31
Delusion: $60.99
Delusion: $71.00
Delusion: $31.00
Delusion: $17.50
Delusion (built): $27
Delusion: $21
Delusion: $37.01
Delusion (in Plunder Pack): $65
Baochuan: $22.50
Baochuan: $26
Baochuan: $22.51
Baochuan: $28.00
Baochuan:$31.00
Baochuan: $20.45
Baochuan: $24.50
Baochuan: $37.50
Baochuan: $28
Baochuan: $20.50
Baochuan: $26.01
Baochuan: $49.99
Baochuan: $20.50
Baochuan: $25
Baochuan (built) + JR ships: $10
Baochuan + 10 MI Convention packs: $22.27
Zeus: $58
Zeus: $31
Zeus: $66.25
Zeus: $61.00
Zeus: $28
Zeus: $45.01
Zeus: $43
Zeus: $31
Zeus: $56
Shui Xian: $61
Shui Xian: $31
Shui Xian: $30.80
Shui Xian: $20.50
Shui Xian: $35
Shui Xian: $43
Shui Xian: $25.51
Punched lot w/ Shui Xian, GT, DD, Sleigh: $15
Celtic Fury: $51
Celtic Fury: $70.99
Celtic Fury: $33.01
Celtic Fury: $29.00
Celtic Fury: $26.50
Celtic Fury: $36.50
Celtic Fury: $40
Celtic Fury (built) + Mercenary ships: $15.00
All ten masters except Guichuan in one lot: $103.50
Raptor Maw: $38.61
Raptor Maw: $29.99
Raptor Maw: $26.15
Raptor Maw, Angelica, Shal-Bala: 26.65
Chum Maker: $20.50
GF9: $16.05
GF9: $21.50
The Kraken: $15
The Kraken: $16.15
The Kraken: $5.99
The Kraken: $10.50
Kray-kin: $10.49
Kray-kin: $5.50
Kray-kin: $6.50
A Fearsome Creature: $10.49
Beastie: $9.99
Kraken, Kray-kin, A Fearsome Creature, Terrox: $16.05
All four krakens: $10.50
USS Kettering: $14.61
USS Kettering: $15
Loki’s Revenge: $7.99
R San Cristobal: $9.99
R San Cristobal: $5
R San Cristobal: $2
Both versions of San Cristobal: $16.05
RV Constitution: $7.99
USS Denver: $8
USS Denver: $7
Roanoke: $9.99
Star of Siam: $9.99
LE Griffin: $11.75
SR Black Pearl: $7.15
SCS Grand Temple: $17.50
SCS Grand Mountain: $15.50
5 Lizard’s Sting (LE) + Chum Maker + Sleigh/Whitebeard: $80.60
Sleigh/Whitebeard: $10
Bloody Throne + Scrye the Explorer: $5.50
Specter: $30
Specter, Obago, promo packs: $5.50
F&S Promo pack (historical): $9.99
Historical + Nordic Raiders packs + POTC w/HMS Master: $26.65
SCS lot w/2 6-masts: $10
SCS complete set of Jade Rebellion: $88
SCS complete set of Jade Rebellion: $123.51
SS Scavenger Pack: $26.22
SS Scavenger Pack: $16.26
Pirates of the Spanish Main Crimson Coast Lot of 3 American Ships + 2 crew (CC SR’s): $11.50
All SM ghost cards: $5.00
GS-001 Revenant: $6
CC Mega Pack: $27.09
CC Mega Pack: $11.76
CC Mega Pack: $10.80
RV SR pack: $9.50
RV SR pack: $25
BC SR pack: $11.61
BC SR pack: $25
Lot of CC LE’s: $27
Lot of 61 packs (14 ROTF, 26 BC, 21 F&S): $152.50
Lot of 84 packs (60 MI, 18 RV, 4 BC, 2 OE): $102.60
34 packs of OE, ROTF, + F&S: $48.51
20 pack Fairfield box: $35.02
20 pack Fairfield box: $21.50
36 packs of SM: $119.99
45 packs of SM: $52.50
17 packs of CC: $41
8 packs of CC: $19.95
10 packs of CC: $24.99
36 packs of RV: $66
Opened 36 pack box of BC: $30.99
6 packs of BC: $14.95
10 packs of BC: $24.99
36 opened packs of SCS: $41
21 opened packs of FN: $38.75
50 packs of MI: $101
MI 18 pack booster box: $31.78
MI 18 pack booster box: $50
14 packs of POTC: $51.90
48 packs of ROTF: $51
48 packs of F&S: $53
SM lot: $33
Big lot of RV: $36
lot of “270+ ships and cards”: $79
Lot of 138 built ships: $36
Lot of 110 RV pieces: $47
Lot of 100 RV pieces: $42
Lot of 49 POTC pieces: $22.70
Complete set of SM w/o LE’s, PR’s, etc: $70
Complete set of RV: $64.99
Complete set of DJC including Guichuan: $152.51
Complete set of DJC: $71
Complete set of FN: $127.50
Complete set of FN: $173.50
Complete set of MI: $41
Complete set of MI: $78
Complete set of MI: $30
Complete set of MI w/o SR’s, LE’s, etc: $50
Complete set of OE: $26
Complete set of OE w/o SR’s, LE’s, etc: $50
Complete (factory sealed) set of POTC: $65.50
Complete set of POTC: $71
Complete set of SS: $38
Near-complete set of SM: $28
Near-complete set of CC: $90
Near-complete set of BC: $129.05
Near-complete set of SCS: $199.95
Near-complete set of SCS: $103.55
Near-complete set of SCS: $61.10
Near-complete set of DJC: $39.95
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Hijack this thread!   PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote

lord_denton wrote:
Should we really be letting someone from Wisconsin (or at least that's where his trader page SAYS he's from), a mostly landlocked state I might add...

Mostly landlocked!? Have you looked a map lately?

We've got more than 4 times the coastline of your Minnesota, spread between two separate Great Lakes with numerous ports. Minnesota has... Duluth, which is only technically in Minnesota because it's on the wrong bank of a river.

You're just upset because we have an NFL franchise and you don't.
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Hijack this thread!   PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
lord_denton wrote:
Should we really be letting someone from Wisconsin (or at least that's where his trader page SAYS he's from), a mostly landlocked state I might add...

We've got more than 4 times the coastline of your Minnesota, spread between two separate Great Lakes with numerous ports. Minnesota has... Duluth, which is only technically in Minnesota because it's on the wrong bank of a river.

You're just both upset because I have lots of coast line and three NFL franchises. Wink
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Hijack this thread!   PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote

cannonfury wrote:
woelf wrote:
lord_denton wrote:

You're just both upset because I have lots of coast line and three NFL franchises. Wink

Yay! California!!

Now to hijack the thread....where to start? Where to start!

Oh, I know!

Nevermind....

On second thought, I might have an idea!

No wait, that's just a brain fart....

Ah! Here we go!

So, Savage Worlds: Pirates of the Spanish Main. Wonderful game; lets you explore the Pirates PMG universe a little deeper than just sailing around and bringing gold home. You actually conduct the boarding parties on the crew's level. AND you get to be your own named character. Only problem is, the only real relation between the navel combat system and the Pirates PMG is the idea of Masts = Health. Lose all masts and take another hit, you start sinking. I'm looking for ideas on how to make combat between ships a little close to that of the PMG. I found a supplement that allows you to generate ships that are much closer to the ships in the PMG, but it still doesn't quite marry the RPG and the PMG together. Ideas?
cernunnos

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote

Those price listings are the reason I haven't really been around much. I thought I'd get back into the game after a few years of being out but once I saw that people still, for some reason, after the game had died, still think they were sitting on a gold mine. I'm willing to pay to increase my collection but, for the love of god, be realistic people. No one in their right mind is going to pay more then a few dollars, if that, for a rare ship from a dead game. I'm a big fan and still have people I play with but if prices are going to be this high for plastic ships from a forgotten game I may just sell out. I'm a little jaded at the moment.

/end rant
master_jack

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote

I want a new option. I'm no loyalist/Woelfian, but I do think it breaks the game to have more than 2 actions.
master_jack

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote

And I know I'm about five years too late, but I softmodded my Wii and installed Riivolution. Now my favorite game of all time, Mario Kart, has 100+ new tracks. Very Happy
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote

Seeing as the official rules don't recommend a specific number of terrain for a standard game, I was wondering how some of you guys determine how many to use. I figure twice the amount of islands a player provides.

Obviously, you need to use a lot of terrain, otherwise you might as well not use it.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote

captain_vendari wrote:
Seeing as the official rules don't recommend a specific number of terrain for a standard game, I was wondering how some of you guys determine how many to use. I figure twice the amount of islands a player provides.

Obviously, you need to use a lot of terrain, otherwise you might as well not use it.

When using terrain I generally use at least the same amount of terrain as there are islands, usually with a few extras.

However, avoiding terrain is so easy that I've had to break the rules and string terrain together just to make it have any effect on the game at all.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote

Hey, we've got 17 votes through 2 weeks! Laughing That's pretty good!
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
captain_vendari wrote:

When using terrain I generally use at least the same amount of terrain as there are islands, usually with a few extras.

However, avoiding terrain is so easy that I've had to break the rules and string terrain together just to make it have any effect on the game at all.

I figure that if you have enough terrain on the board, you shouldn't need to chain them together. The way I see it, you can take your chances on the Reef, or give up a turn or two to go around.

Now, for a 60 point game, what would you recommend as far as islands and treasures go?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote

Terrain is almost always avoided at all costs in my games, but I remember the one time I stringed huge amounts of terrain together (like a line of sargassos and reefs that almost divided the sea into two halves), it was one of the better games I've played, although perhaps just a coincidence.

captain_vendari wrote:
Now, for a 60 point game, what would you recommend as far as islands and treasures go?

I would experiment and find what you like best. I just use the same amount as usual, although many of my games are multiplayer, so I use 3 islands per person and then whatever treasures get thrown in for those.

The more islands you add, the less competitive the treasure running gets, and then it becomes a contest of speed. A lower number of islands will mean more shots being fired, but you don't want a deathmatch to determine the winner.

I need to do more experimenting with the island and treasure count to find the perfect balance, especially for the larger games of 80 or more points. Maybe I'll start by shaping the islands like numbers and the alphabet. Idea

I've tried all sorts of different island and treasure arrangements, like using different configurations of islands for each game: put the islands in a straight line, or a V, or a four-square of wild islands in between the two home islands. It can be fun to put more treasure on a middle island to make sure it's fought over, or to make the HI's all adjacent to each other (which can lead to endgame chaos Cool ).

I'm at a point now where a regular game (60 points or less) gets boring if the islands are all evenly placed (they usually end up in a star type of shape, with one in the middle). Plus I usually play a series of 3 games, so I sometimes use a different island setup for each one. Variation is key.

As for treasures, the idea of dumping a higher value coin (at least a 5, although sometimes even a 4 will work if there aren't many UT's and therefore a lot of 1's and 2's) into the mix is enticing. However, I've found that it can make things too biased towards the player who finds the highest value coin(s). Naturally Pirates is about luck and pillage, but things get boring if a superstar treasure runner gets the best coin. It seems to work better to keep the treasures to within a few values of each other.

What are others' thoughts on this?
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
What are others' thoughts on this?
Many years ago I scanned a couple of the terrain pieces and then blew them up to several times original size so they'd become major obstacles rather than easily-avoided speedbumps. They were large enough that the usual method of skirting around them would cost at least an extra turn or two (sometimes more depending on the ship), and sometimes I'd even set it up with an island dead center in the middle of the terrain so it was impossible to avoid if you wanted to reach the island.

For treasure, I also long ago gave up entirely on counting out a specific total value of tokens or even a specific number of tokens. Instead, I arbitrarily choose (sometimes selected, sometimes completely random) some number of UTs, and then I'll take a few of those cards and pop out all of the coins that go with them. If there were any mismatched backs on the UTs (dark gold, light gold, silver, transparent, miscut, etc.) I'd make sure several standard coins from those cards would get included so the UT didn't stand out.

Then, all of the tokens (whatever number there were) get distributed across the wild islands as evenly as possible. Any odd amount left over would either get set aside and left out (without being looked at), or they'd get added to the island(s) that were furthest from everyone's home islands.

Not knowing exactly how much treasure is out there of course means getting rid of that ridiculous "more than half of the starting gold" rule, but that's a very good thing. That added degree of uncertainty makes the later stages of the game much more interesting because every coin could potentially count.

This method also saves a lot of messing around picking out specific gold values, and it completely eliminates any need to recalculate values for different fleet sizes - basically you just toss a pile of coins out onto the islands and start sailing.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 1 of 48

Jump to: