Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Hero/awful ships?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Hero/awful ships?   PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:13 am Reply with quote

This thread is reserved for those ships that performed spectacularly well or atrocious in individual games, to the point of absolute disbelief. Oftentimes a "hero" ship will be an unexpected one - you expect HMS Titan or the Acorazado to be a big-time ship, so those types of ships aren't as likely to be mentioned here. (though you still could if they were insanely good and better than they actually are) Of course, on the contrary, unexpectedly bad ships would be ones like the Titan - ships that are supposed to be amazing, but disappointed you in a specific game or did horribly on more than one occasion.

What ship or ships (or crew, if you can manage that!) have been "heroes" or downright garbage in your games?

For me, my Economy Edition game featured at least 3 good examples.

The San Estaban was an absolute hero for the Franco-Spanish, shooting a whopping 8 for 9 (with rank-3 cannons, which I usually miss with all the time, so I'd expect her to go about 2 for 9) and surviving 2 full-scale Cursed attacks. She then returned home and may have shot some masts off Pirates before succumbing.

On the opposite end of the spectrum was the Black Mamba. In one of the worst performances in naval history, this ship went 0 for 6 in two shoot actions. Think that's bad enough? Three of those misses were 1's, which meant that the ship had dismasted herself without doing ANY damage to the enemy. Shocked

Finally, the English ship Swiftsure was simply untouchable during the American assault:

Quote:
The Swiftsure was the first ship launched in the game by any faction. Used as a treasure runner by the English, she's now picked up a captain from their HI since she has a 2S cannon, which is better than the other guns English treasure runners are carrying. She hasn't done much damage, but the stubborn sloop is putting up quite a fight! Neither the Kettering, Saratoga, nor President can hit her because of her L-immunity. Frustrated, the President has rammed her, but miraculously rolled a 1 to miss the dismast attempt! With Peregrine Stern giving +1 to boarding rolls and the President having a 3 mast advantage, the boarding attempt looked like a lock. However, the Swiftsure rolled a 6 to the President's 1, winning the boarding party 7 to 6 and killing Stern, one of the most valuable named crew in the game at 9 points!!

Other atrocious performances include 10 masted ships in general, especially during my RISK game and Defence of St. Helens game (more on those later, BR's found in the Guide to huge games thread in the meantime though which is in the Thread of Threads). In terms of numbers, I do know that the Shui Xian and Baochuan combined to go 2 for 13 in one turn, despite the Baochuan having Chang Pao aboard. Also, HMS Grand Temple had a rough start to her career with me, but has more than made up for it by now.

I'm sure there are other examples from my games, but I'll post them as I remember them or rediscover them in the BR thread.
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote

I once lost Behemoth after landing only a single hit in a game. This was my reaction.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote

Carolina from CG1, and her captain, Commodore David Porter. Those two come easily to my mind.

In the first CoE game in 2015, the USS Lenox was responsible for almost ALL of the Americans early gains, giving them a strong foothold to work from and go on to win.
repkosai
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote

For hero, I'd have to mention the Napolitana from my 'Echoes of the Spanish Main' game. I'd really thought Spain was done for after the 1st failed rescue of El Picador, and the subsequent loss of bankable assets from the time/ship missed in the endeavor, but I was proven wrong, and this little ship's heroics brought the Spanish to a lucky die roll or two away from taking the final conflict!
notalwaysyou
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:22 am Reply with quote

I'm tempted to do a review of her, but I really like how the Gruesome performed against my brother. It was unorthodox for us to use, and using the schooner turn to steal treasure without being pinned threw him off. It ended up being a fun game for both of us Laughing

Last edited by notalwaysyou on Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
repkosai
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:44 am Reply with quote

All right, I'm able to admit when I'm wrong. Aside from the cargo space, I didn't get all of the hype around this ship, until tonight...

The Frontier single-handedly pulled a game out for me tonight (battle report coming by Friday). I am now a devotee of the Frontier's versatility.
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:45 am Reply with quote

The Sea Nymph with Crimson Angel and Hammersmith this weekend. In a 4 player 40 point game, the Nymph landed 28 shots during the game (which includes destroying two forts), and only lost 2 masts the whole game, one from a ram. (It was as much Crimson Angel as Nymph - I had to roll near 2/3 SATs rather than the expected 1/3)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: