bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
VASSAL Campaign Game 3: Economy Edition
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: VASSAL Campaign Game 3: Economy Edition   PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote

With a whopping SIX people interested in playing a virtual campaign game, the opportunity for another adventure has presented itself!

Unlike the first two campaign games on VASSAL, this one will utilize a special ruleset:

Economy Edition

In addition, a few simple house rules:
-No Events
-No 0LR +5 crew
-0LR reroller crew will cost 3 points so they're not free
-When a ship wins a boarding party, the winner decides whether they will take gold/resources or eliminate crew. The winner chooses which gold/resources to take, but the loser chooses which crew is eliminated.
-Whirlpools take effect on a roll of 1-3 instead of 4-6 (since you almost never want to roll low in this game)
-Return to Savage Shores is available
-Custom game pieces are allowed, but they may be modified or banned in-game (through a vote) if they are overpowered (OP).
-Other house rules may be instituted during the game if players are in favor of them.

This game has two abbreviated names:
VEE: VASSAL Economy Edition
CG3: Campaign Game 3

Here are the players with their associated factions, in the order that turns will be taken.

Pirateaj14, Spanish
La Santa Isabel + Dominic Freda
La Monarca + explorer
El Algeciras + captain
Diablo

Xerecs, Cursed
Grinder
Sea Monkey + explorer
Celestine + Master Scribe

Wifey, Pirates
Hai Peng + Captain Barbossa, explorer
Swift + Hammersmith
Banshee's Cry + helmsman

Vixenishcoder66, French
L'Intrepide
Le Pique
Le Bon Marin
La Bonne Chance + crew
Libellule + crew

A7XfanBen, Americans
Nene-nui + helmsman, explorer
Lynx
Carolina + helmsman
Annapolis + helmsman

Repkosai, English
HMS Bolingbroke + captain, helmsman
Aberdeen Baron + helmsman
Honu Iki + captain, helmsman

The home islands were chosen in reverse turn order, with the English choosing first and the Spanish choosing last.

Here is the ocean, created by xerecs! A great barrier reef divides the sea mostly in half, with the Gateway island in the center where the reefs part. There is a Frozen North, as well as a Great Sargasso and Gray Shrouds in the south.

The northwest, where the storms are currently clustered into a hurricane. The storms are from xerecs' EE game:

STORM
Type: Terrain
Every storm has two sets of numbers on it, one in the middle, and 1-6 on the edge. Once per every players turn, roll a d6. If the number matches the middle number of any storm in play, roll another d6, the storm moves L from that number in a straight line. Storms may move over islands and other terrain.
If any part of a game piece, even submerged pieces, touches a storm place the game piece inside the storm, it is now lost. Roll a d6 and subtract the result from the number of masts, segments, or flags remaining on the game piece. Ships may be sunk by storms, and forts may be eliminated by storms as well.
To escape the Storm, give the piece a move action, and roll a d6. Place the game piece facing away from the storm on the resulting number, the game piece may continue moving from there.
If a storm moves over or into another storm they join, if either of them is rolled, move both as one.

The other fog banks with numbers on them (not grouped together) are icebergs. The Spanish and Cursed home islands (HI's) are visible.

The northeast, showing the American HI.

The southeast, showing the American and Pirate HI's, the Barrier Reef, and the Great Sargasso.

The southwest, showing the home ports of England, France, and Spain. Indeed, by coincidence the major imperial factions are grouped in the west half, while the "others" (Pirates, Americans, Cursed) are on the eastern side of the big reef. An island is hidden in the Gray Shrouds, which may part or roll at various times.

Stay tuned, for adventure awaits!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote

If the game can indeed start between 8pm and 9pm EST tonight, I will do my best to broadcast the "grand opening" to the campaign live on Twitch and/or Facebook and provide links when I do.

Edit: My youtube channel currently says I can live stream again, in which case I'll stream there if possible.
vixenishcoder66
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote

Regarding house rules I didn't see any note in EE Rules or our own about whether we were playing flat earth or round. What does everyone think?

I vote flat earth.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote

I'm in favor of flat earth. The first two VASSAL campaigns were flat earth, as well as the previous two Economy games that Ben and I have played. I see no reason to change that now.
pirateaj14
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote

I agree with xerecs. The round earth rule would favor the factions closest to the edges.
repkosai
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:39 pm Reply with quote

Flat earth sounds right to me. Makes the reef a bigger factor.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:31 am Reply with quote

We are live!! Very Happy

As far as flat earth, Xerecs and I essentially decided that it would be far better based on the map. We had a brainstorming session on VASSAL right after the map was completed but forgot to mention it in the group email thread with all the other details being figured out.
repkosai
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote

Question: should we put reports related to this game in this thread, or in the Battle Reports thread, with a subtitle designation?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote

repkosai wrote:
Question: should we put reports related to this game in this thread, or in the Battle Reports thread, with a subtitle designation?

We can do it here in this thread, so that thread doesn't get convoluted. I'll be posting a report here soon, but feel free to go ahead as well!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: The beginning   PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote

The third Pirates CSG campaign game on the VASSAL module has BEGUN! VEE (VASSAL Economy Edition) is now in progress!

Video of the first session. "Alive" by Phil Lober is one of the best fantasy/adventure/epic songs that encompasses the grand and epic nature of this kind of game, and provides a perfect thematic start. This was live streamed to youtube but may be quite a rarity because coordinating the logistics of 6 different people across 3 different time zones is rather difficult for the purposes of playing live. However, we wanted to do a "grand opening", and here it is!

The first resource rolls were made! A 4 was rolled for value, with a 9 for duration. This gave us some time to acquire resources and cash them in if desired, with metals and textiles being the most valuable. We are keeping track of the resource rolls with face up coins in the upper left corner.

The first turn of the game! As with the other Economy Edition games, face up coins represent resources, while face down coins represent gold. Launchings happen at the end of each player's turn, and the icebergs and storm terrain is moved at the beginning of each round of turns. We confirmed flat earth due to how the map was constructed.

This shows a chunk of the east, where the first launching has occurred! The Spanish found extremely valuable metals on the island west of their home island, and have cashed in 3 of them for 18 gold! pirateaj14's Spanish launched La Resolucion, giving the Spanish two capable gunships very early in the game. You can see repkosai's English heading for an island north of their HI, while to the east the Gateway island is unexplored.

Incredibly, all four explored islands in the west are metals islands!! All of those metals are currently worth 6 gold apiece, so the English, French, and Spanish are hurrying to cash them in before the next resource rolls are made. wifey's Pirates are making their way around the Great Sargasso to a southern island. In the east, my Americans made the second launching of the game with the Rattlesnake. They have found good resources as well, with their two islands producing textiles and lumber. In the Frozen North, the Cursed have found textiles of their own in addition to luxuries. In the south, the French took great advantage of the explorer-reroll rule, turning an island from fish (currently worth 1) to metals! (currently worth 6)

It was a successful start to this grand endeavor, and we hope to continue soon with individual turns and hopefully live play as well. Stay tuned!
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote

An observation of mine, couldn't Wifey's Pirates have gone around the top end of the Great Sargasso? That route looks faster to my eye.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
An observation of mine, couldn't Wifey's Pirates have gone around the top end of the Great Sargasso? That route looks faster to my eye.

Huh good point, if she didn't bother with whirling it looks like it would be a move action or two faster.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:35 am Reply with quote

I've taken my turn, Wifey is next.

The Celsetine finally rolled to place a trade current, which allowed the Grinder to dock home her cargo of valuable resources. The Sea Monkey will be able to dock on the Cursed next turn, and the newly launched Sea Duck will look forward to moving out on the next turn as well.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:22 am Reply with quote

Another live session has been played! I forgot to take pictures for most of the session, partly because it was recorded.

Partway through the session, the first resource change happened! With great anticipation from a laggy die roll, a 6 was rolled for value, and another 6 for duration! For the next 6 turns, spices and fish would be the most valuable resources.

The Americans launched their native canoes, with the chieftain residing on the James Madison. The Spanish and Americans have established military ports on the islands west of their home islands.

The first shots have been fired! The French sailed the Bonne Chance towards the Gateway, but the Spanish were not having any of it! With a quick turnaround, the Resolucion sailed south and took a mast off the French junk! No declarations of war have been made, but the Resolucion also provided the first sinking of the game on the next turn, sending the Bonne Chance to the depths!

The Spanish found textiles on the Gateway island. From their new military port, the Spanish launched La Tartessos, who began sailing towards the English. The Aberdeen Baron and Bolingbroke were taking a roundabout way back to their HI, using whirlpools to go in a circle of sorts. This may have been to avoid the Algeciras and Diablo, and indeed the Spanish are off to a very strong start. At the bottom left, the Honu Iki prepares to re-enter the Gray Shrouds in hopes of finding the island again.

The Frozen North, where the Cursed reside. The resource change didn't do them any favors, as they currently have access to the lowest-value resources. Although, the Hangman's Joke discovered lumber after fog hopping to the far northeast! You can see the trading port southwest of their HI, but the Sea Monkey has taken a hit from an iceberg.

Likely in response to Spanish aggression, the French launch two 5 masters: the Soleil Royal and Monaque! They join an impressive fleet of French resource runners, who are collecting still-valuable metals from two different islands. At the far right, the Swift has loaded spices from the Pirates' wild island, and the Hai Peng and Banshee's Cry are approaching home farther north.

It was an interesting night, which saw the first shots fired, the first ship sunk, and the first resource change.
repkosai
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote

Prologue - A Gentlemen's Wager

"Shall we say, hmm, five thousand?"
The air was tense. The young captain stared a hole in the wall, just past the waiting eyes of the port's governor. Five thousand pounds was more money than he'd ever seen in his life, and the governor just proposed it as the prize in a very serious game of chance...

"M'lord is certainly aware that, as a merchant captain, such a price is far beyond my existence to match up. I still stand by my word, however."

The governor met eyes with the upstart. "Your word," he leered slightly, "that your little 'vessel', that garbage the savages think so highly of, can out-maneuver and out-trade any ship in my fleet..."

"With all due respect," replied the captain of the Honu Iki , "it's what we do, M'lord. From a year or so before the Crown took interest in our little sea port, to this very day, my crew and I have given our all maintain this town and its economy. Since your fleet's arrival, M'lord, I'd say that the landscape of commerce has only changed in the percentage of taxes paid on each load..."

It was an intentional shot, and it struck a nerve. The young captain knew his place in society, and as far as the town's residents were concerned, there wasn't a punishment the Governor could dole out on this island that wouldn't provoke civil unrest. 'Still,' he thought, 'this level of power shouldn't be trifled too severely, lest his punishment be a touch more creative than that...'

Fortunately, the captain's instincts were right again. The governor was angered by the arrogance of the retort, but he was far too clever a man to simply throw this peasant into jail for boasting, not without gaining a little measure of recompense first.

"So," the Governor began slowly. Though the tone of his voice remained steady and aloof, the pacing of his words was more deliberate. "five thousand pounds is a fortune too vast for the esteemed merchant... well, let's make this more interesting. If you can deliver on this outlandish boast, if you can actually bring in some cargo worth unloading... then perhaps we can offer you a kinder rate of exchange on your deliveries, in the name of the Crown, of course. However, on the very likely chance that this talk is doing more to elevate this room's temperature than to establish fact, perhaps your side of the wager could be covered by... the enlistment of you, your crew, and your vessel?"

The captain bit his lip. "Enlistment?"

A smile betrayed the Governor's projected boredom. "As opposed to simply being pressed into service, of course..."

What choice did the poor young lad have? He was cornered. His eyes darted to the east wall. There had been a movement, one not previously noticed during this tense discussion. His eyes met with the tranquil azure pools from which Theresa, the Governor's daughter, had anxiously spied the encounter between her distinguished father and this strapping rogue. Now, both men were smiling.

"M'lord, your wager is excepted, upon two conditions: First, allow me to choose a mate of any free sailor in the town..."

"Agreed," replied the Governor. "To be fair, I shall allow the captain of the HMS Bolingbroke the same courtesy. Now, your other condition?"

The lad shot another look to the east. "Please, give my kindest regards to your lovely daughter."

For a moment, the air itself froze.

The Governor's outrage was apparent. His only daughter was engaged to the chief officer aboard the Aberdeen Baron, the very ship that brought him to this wretched port. Everyone knew this, and this brazen little twit had the gall to up and...

The Governor waved his hand, only missing the gesture's recipient by a narrow margin. The meeting over, the peasant captain was dismissed. With details to work out, the Governor called for his Lieutenant.

"Bring me the captain of the Bolingbroke, and have her and the Aberdeen Baron outfitted to sail at dawn!"

"M'lord, both ships?" the lieutenant asked.

"I said he'd get his choice of any free sailor, and that the Bolingbroke's captain gets the same, yes? Well, I've simply narrowed the options for our dear captain, and as reward, his choice will come with a ship of its own! Let's see the fisherman best that!"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: