main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
I seem to only enjoy movies that are part of a series

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Black Mongoose Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: I seem to only enjoy movies that are part of a series   PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:56 am Reply with quote

I'm not much of a movie person, but when I do watch them, they have to have some level of "epicness" to them. I guess this goes along with loving Hans Zimmer's PotC stuff and lots of other epic music, not to mention my huge games of Pirates CSG of course.

Other than The Italian Job (2003 version), I find it difficult to get myself to watch and really enjoy one-off or "random" movies as I call them. Oftentimes I'd rather just rewatch movies from these series. This is in my general order of current preference, but of course it depends on the mood I'm in when I decide what to watch when I'm eating a meal or whatever (which is usually the only time I watch this stuff at this point).

Pirates of the Caribbean
The Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit
Star Wars
Harry Potter
Bourne
Fast and Furious
Mission Impossible
Iron Man/Marvel

Anybody else have this "epicness"/long-drawn-out story of epic proportions problem? (and trust me, it's an enjoyable problem to have! Very Happy)
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote

A big part of it is the storytelling in general - when a movie uses stuff that's already been established elsewhere, time doesn't need to be wasted introducing and establishing every character so you can jump right into the stuff everyone really wants too see. When the vast majority of new movies in a series continue to be good, it drives that even faster.

The MCU in particular has built up so much momentum over the past decade that at this point they could probably put out two or three truly awful movies in a row before it would start to slow them down. They won't need Captain Marvel to drag the franchise out of a pit of mediocrity like Wonder Woman had to do for the DCEU.

Another thing to consider is the fact that pretty much any successful movie these days ends up becoming a franchise later, or at least gets a sequel or two, so even the good standalone movies rarely remain standalone.

Even movies like Pacific Rim and Frozen which don't *need* sequels are getting them within the next few years.

Thinking back to movies I've enjoyed the most over the years, the most recent one I can think of that wasn't part of a franchise and never got any sequels or prequels was Gladiator (2000). Honorable mention goes to Serenity (2005), but that doesn't really count because it built directly from the TV series.
xerecs

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:45 am Reply with quote

I like longer series or movie franchises, but i do enjoy the 'one-offs'. Most of my favorites happen to be Disney. I did discover a nice gem about Sherlock Holmes though. I'm struggling to remember it's name. I'll find it and edit it or something. Nevermind, found it. Mr. Holmes.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Black Mongoose Tavern All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: