bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
The Podcast Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: The Podcast Thread   PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote

This will be a thread for all discussions around podcasts, past and present. Now that a new one has started, it seems like a good time to draw attention to the others as well.

I posted it a while back, but here's one from 2009 with game designer Mike Selinker:
http://ninjavspirates.libsyn.com/nv_p_3x04_pirates_of_the_spanish_main_with_mike_selinker

Then you have the online-based radio show hosted by RedDragon and Captain Ron:
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/RedDragon

Just recently godmason and I started a new podcast, and we're hoping to record the second episode very soon.
iTunes link

Podiant link

Archive.org link

Last edited by a7xfanben on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:57 am; edited 2 times in total
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote

In the first show by RedDragon, someone named "venger" (not sure of the spelling, but it seems right based on that former member) said they had been playing since the game was being demoed at stores back in 2004. They have or had some SM ships with no numbers on them, such as the Revenant and Harbinger. Shocked Anyone know this member, or know where they could be found now?

I love how the podcasts I've listened to so far have at least one or two very interesting juicy tidbits per episode. Smile
vixenishcoder66
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:

I love how the podcasts I've listened to so far have at least one or two very interesting juicy tidbits per episode. Smile

I agree! The one with Mike Selinker was very interesting! I enjoyed hearing a designers perspective about Pirates and why they chose certain mechanics. The part about would Pirates return kinda hurt. He seemed certain that the game would return. Crying or Very sad
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote

vixenishcoder66 wrote:
a7xfanben wrote:

I agree! The one with Mike Selinker was very interesting! I enjoyed hearing a designers perspective about Pirates and why they chose certain mechanics. The part about would Pirates return kinda hurt. He seemed certain that the game would return. Crying or Very sad
It did!

Sorry, had to.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Update   PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote

Godmason and I have recorded Podcast #2 and I look forward to sharing it soon.

However, I'm already running up against Soundcloud's 3 hour free plan limit, and I'm not paying $15/month for unlimited when the podcast is only going to happen about twice a month and it's unlikely we'd have more than 100 listeners even if I shared it on all the Pirates sites (I've only shared it on MT and my fansite so far as I figure out the hosting options).

Through google and reddit I have found that these 4 seem to work the best for free hosting:
Podiant
ShoutEngine
Archive.org
Podomatic
(the podcast would still be on iTunes after I set up a new RSS through one or more of the above)

Still figuring out which one to use. Anyway, just an update to not expect more podcasts on Soundcloud unfortunately. I thought their time limit applied to music and podcasting was unlimited hosting. Stay tuned! Wink
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:27 am Reply with quote

Alright, Podcast #2 is up!

iTunes link

Podiant link

Archive.org link

After messing around with my new account on archive.org, I couldn't figure out how to make a valid rss feed from that to iTunes, even after searching a bunch of stuff and creating various addresses with feedburner. Instead I made a Podiant account, which will hopefully continue working well with the rss feed link to iTunes, while at the same time giving me an additional nice-looking profile on a (currently) free podcast hosting site.

Basically, archive.org is the most reliable and should remain free more so than the other options, so the podcasts will always be hosted there, but I'm creating accounts with other hosts as necessary to make sure it's on iTunes as well.

Thanks for listening, and as always, contact either of us if you'd like to appear on an episode! (or several, or even become a third co-host! XD)
ktulu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote

Another great podcast! The advice on which sets are good to get as a beginning player/collector was super helpful.
vixenishcoder66
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote

Great podcast! Keep it up!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote

ktulu wrote:
Another great podcast! The advice on which sets are good to get as a beginning player/collector was super helpful.

vixenishcoder66 wrote:
Great podcast! Keep it up!

Thank you for listening! For the third episode, we're tentatively planning to go over some topics that were requested in the other thread (best moments, etc).
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:43 am Reply with quote

Godmason and I are tentatively planning to do a podcast this Saturday 8/5! Hopefully we will be able to establish a time soon, and as soon as we do, I'll make a post about it so people can "call in" (group chat via Skype, though logistics might get messy) to the podcast! We are planning to talk about the ideas suggested in the other thread.

Quote:
Well I would certainly enjoy hearing some of your most memorable pirates moments.
(an example would be the first time I played with the explosives UT I will always remember. My opponent had a near crippled ship escape and hide in a fogbank. The die roll worked out perfectly where the ship exited the fogbank rammed my full strength flagship and blew up it taking out like 20+ points from my fleet.)

So hearing some of those memorable games and moments would be very interesting.

A segment over MT itself and your involvement and the changes you have experienced over the years.

Talks of the good ol' days and if either of you had tournament experience or went to any conventions I would love to hear about that. I sadly was too young and not capable of enjoying all that when they were going on..
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:07 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Godmason and I are tentatively planning to do a podcast this Saturday 8/5! Hopefully we will be able to establish a time soon, and as soon as we do, I'll make a post about it so people can "call in" (group chat via Skype, though logistics might get messy) to the podcast! We are planning to talk about the ideas suggested in the other thread.

Quote:
Well I would certainly enjoy hearing some of your most memorable pirates moments.
(an example would be the first time I played with the explosives UT I will always remember. My opponent had a near crippled ship escape and hide in a fogbank. The die roll worked out perfectly where the ship exited the fogbank rammed my full strength flagship and blew up it taking out like 20+ points from my fleet.)

So hearing some of those memorable games and moments would be very interesting.

A segment over MT itself and your involvement and the changes you have experienced over the years.

Talks of the good ol' days and if either of you had tournament experience or went to any conventions I would love to hear about that. I sadly was too young and not capable of enjoying all that when they were going on..

I'd love to comment and call in to the podcast, but I think I'll be wrapped up for most of the late afternoon with Basketball games. Sad Maybe next time.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:23 am Reply with quote

We are planning to do the podcast starting around 11:30am EST!

Just search me on Skype (Ben Posthill) and we can have you on the show! Very Happy
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
We are planning to do the podcast starting around 11:30am EST!

Just search me on Skype (Ben Posthill) and we can have you on the show! Very Happy

That's what...8:00Am on the west Coast? I may not be awake then... XD
crsluggo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote

Good Luck with the podcast today! I look forward to listening to it when you upload it!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote

Episode 3 is up!

Podiant

iTunes

Archive.org

Thank you for listening!

~~~~~

A few more things:

-As we've done so far, we plan to record a podcast every two weeks.

-Now that we've done an introductory episode and two episodes covering the requests submitted here, we plan to start the Set Review Series in Episode 4. We'll go through the sets in chronological order and give our thoughts and opinions on them and the stuff in them.

-Feel free to suggest more topics!

-Once per episode, we'd like to do a review of a custom game piece. This can be any custom you've made. Feel free to message us about it or make a post in the Custom Ships thread.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: