bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Fleet challenge: Customize it!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject: Fleet challenge: Customize it!   PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:12 am Reply with quote

Your challenge should you choose to accept:

Build a 60 point fleet for a regular game, using a majority of custom pieces.

Rules:
1. Only custom pieces from my own set, and El_Cazador's may be used
2. You may use pieces released by WK, including Return to Savage Shores, but the fleet should be majority custom pieces. For example, if you use three ships two of them must come from either my Set or El_Cazador's.
3. No Events
4. Entrants may submit up to two fleets for the challenge.
5. You MUST vote on the other entries.

Banned List:
Since player made custom pieces can tend to run on the Over powered side, there is a ban list in place for this challenge. using any one of these pieces will automatically disqualify our fleet from contention.

Banned pieces from Return of Davy Jones:
1. Gnat
2. Urchin
3. Leech
4. Slattern
5. Captain Shamshere
6. Hidden Trove (UT)

Banned pieces from Pirates of the Great Sea:
1. Hyrule Castle
2. Fishing Fleet &Moga Cheif
3. Dire Miralis
4. Vatti
5. Sniper Corps
6. Black Seas Barracuda
7. La Estrella de la Manana
8. Sera de Seville
9. Fort Royal
10. Canots Indigènes & Chef de Tribu
11. All Unique Treasures(with 1 exception), Special and Limited Editions(with 1 exception) and Super Rares.

Prizes:
Bragging rights, and offer to host the next challenge.

Deadlines

I know that asking many of you to familiarize yourself with new pieces will be a little hard, therefore this challenge will be a little long. The 'Grand Reveal Day' is Dec. 31st. That should give those who are interested enough time to do research and find proxy pieces to use when actually building the fleet on the site.

Other stuff:

-Please put ALL of the data you can find on the pieces you choose to use in your fleet description (points, base move, ability text, flavor text, etc.)

-When building the fleet on the site, find a piece with the same point cost to use as a proxy.

-At this current time, my post in the Organized version of the custom ships thread is more accurate, so look there for pieces.

Judging
Judging will be a two step process.

1. All fleets will be assigned a score based on the number of votes they get. If a fleet gets three votes of one, that fleet is assigned a score or 3.

2. Once the 'Reveal' day has passed I will attempt to match the fleets against one another on VASSAL. Anyone who wishes to help me with that is welcome to, send me a PM when the time comes. Each fleet will play a three game series, tournament style, each win will get that fleet one more point. The fleet with the most points at the end of the entire process will be declared the winner of the challenge.

Please leave a comment below if you plan on entering, and if you have any questions.

Last edited by xerecs on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote

Just one question: why are those the only two things available to use? It might be a little disappointing for people to finally have a custom-based challenge, but they can't use pieces of their own or ones that have existed since 2008 or earlier (CCM, Vlad, etc). I've also never been of the opinion that one must have a "finished" "set" for their customs to be considered more official or ready for gameplay.

I plan to enter regardless.
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote

Don't know if I will enter, but the banlist for my set is hilarious, especially compared to how short yours is. Thanks for the laughs.

Edit 1:
I agree with restrictions (mostly to prevent the very crazy stuff like what I used to design). As for what those restrictions should be, yours seem reasonable enough (and have spreadsheets!).

Edit 2:
Are you sure you want these fleets in the Fleets section? It might be better to put them in a thread on the forum.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:03 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Just one question: why are those the only two things available to use? It might be a little disappointing for people to finally have a custom-based challenge, but they can't use pieces of their own or ones that have existed since 2008 or earlier (CCM, Vlad, etc). I've also never been of the opinion that one must have a "finished" "set" for their customs to be considered more official or ready for gameplay.

I plan to enter regardless.

I restricted it to those two since those are published/authored by active forum members, so it will be easier to reach out to ask about how a certain piece functions or a creator can specify how a certain ability works. My other reasoning was that I did not want to overwhelm people with new stuff. There are a TON of Custom things for this game out there, and limiting it to these two options makes choosing pieces to use a little easier and not as overwhelming.

El_Cazador wrote:

Don't know if I will enter, but the banlist for my set is hilarious, especially compared to how short yours is. Thanks for the laughs.

Edit 1:
I agree with restrictions (mostly to prevent the very crazy stuff like what I used to design). As for what those restrictions should be, yours seem reasonable enough (and have spreadsheets!).

Edit 2:
Are you sure you want these fleets in the Fleets section? It might be better to put them in a thread on the forum.

What's hilarious about the list? The pieces chosen? (I did get your PM, perhaps this discussion should be moved there?)

Your mentioning of a Spreadsheet is one of the reasons why I chose the "set's" i chose. They would be easy to access and interpret, unlike some other custom entries where things got jumbled around.

Good point. Notalwaysyou raised a similar point in the most recent Minature Review Contest. As of right now, yes, fleets will go in the fleet section (since there's only ONE confirmed entrant). However I may change this, and if I do I will make a post about it.
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:30 am Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
What's hilarious about the list?

I thought it was funny to see your banlist followed by a longer one for mine. No complaints! Maybe I just have an odd sense of humor... Razz
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:03 am Reply with quote

After some discussion, I have ruled the following regarding the bans:

Death's Hook #316 LE may be used as well as the UT 'Fountain of Dreams'. Both pieces are from El_Cazador's Great Seas set, and are now both off the ban list. However, joining the Ban list are the Super Rare pieces from El_Cazador's set. I will edit the main post to reflect this decision.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote

Just to be sure, this is an official Grand Reveal Day right? We're not supposed to post our fleets before then?
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Just to be sure, this is an official Grand Reveal Day right? We're not supposed to post our fleets before then?

If you want to post a draft of your fleet, you may. I would recommend using the Forum to post fleet drafts, that way custom creators can leave feed back on how certain pieces will interact.

The official reveal day is Dec. 31st, when the Final versions of your fleet are due.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote

OK fun, here is the fleet I created earlier today. Very Happy

The French-Americans are here! XD (in a non-CTO world lol)

Notre Dame + Phillipe Tyzack, Ol’ Man Montana, explorer, oarsman
Silver Dollar + helmsman, oarsman
Joyie de Vie + Michel Dubois, oarsman

Notre Dame
French: 18 pts.
Link: Phillipe Tyzack
Masts: 5
Cargo: 5
Movement: S+S
Cannon: 2L-2S-2S-2S-2L
Ability: Crew of any nationality may use their abilities on this ship.

Phillipe Tyzack
French: 8 pts.
Link: Notre Dame
Ability: Captaineer This ship's crew cannot be eliminated unless she sinks.

Ol' Man Montana
American: 5 pts.
Link: Strife
Ability: Helmsman, Musketeer.

Silver Dollar
American: 14 pts.
Masts: 3
Cargo: 6
Cannons: 4S-3L-4S
Ability: Schooner.

Joyie de Vie
French
5 points
Masts: 1
Cargo: 4
Cannons: 3S
Ability: Galley.
The crew of the Joyie de Vie are known for their general mood of, well, joy, even in dire straits.

Michel Dubois
French
4 points
Ability: Captain. Explorer.
Dubois fights for gold, and will turn down opportunities to sink the English in favor of obtaining more money.

I think the Joyie de Vie should have 3 cargo for that point cost, but other than that I tried not to use stuff that was too OP. Feel free to give feedback! I may even go with a completely different fleet. XD

The Notre Dame is loaded to give opponents a walloping, and even has 3 cargo spaces left over for gold. She is supported by two treasure runners, one faster and more durable than the other, who is fragile but has a little surprise captain. The Joyie allowed me to use two additional customs for 10 points, and could be an under-the-radar "hybrid" if she doesn't get shot at first. XD Oarsmen on the gold runners were added for the last two points to protect those valuable crew and make rowing home gold a possibility.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:16 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
OK fun, here is the fleet I created earlier today. Very Happy

The French-Americans are here! XD (in a non-CTO world lol)

Notre Dame + Phillipe Tyzack, Ol’ Man Montana, explorer, oarsman
Silver Dollar + helmsman, oarsman
Joyie de Vie + Michel Dubois, oarsman

Notre Dame
French: 18 pts.
Link: Phillipe Tyzack
Masts: 5
Cargo: 5
Cannon: 2L-2S-2S-2S-2L
Ability: Crew of any nationality may use their abilities on this ship.

Phillipe Tyzack
French: 8 pts.
Link: Notre Dame
Ability: Captaineer This ship's crew cannot be eliminated unless she sinks.

Ol' Man Montana
American: 5 pts.
Link: Strife
Ability: Helmsman, Musketeer.

Silver Dollar
American: 14 pts.
Cargo: 6
Cannons: 4S-3L-4S
Ability: Schooner.

Joyie de Vie
French
5 points
Masts: 1
Cannons: 3S
Ability: Galley.
The crew of the Joyie de Vie are known for their general mood of, well, joy, even in dire straits.

Michel Dubois
French
4 points
Ability: Captain. Explorer.
Dubois fights for gold, and will turn down opportunities to sink the English in favor of obtaining more money.

I think the Joyie de Vie should have 3 cargo for that point cost, but other than that I tried not to use stuff that was too OP. Feel free to give feedback! I may even go with a completely different fleet. XD

The Notre Dame is loaded to give opponents a walloping, and even has 3 cargo spaces left over for gold. She is supported by two treasure runners, one faster and more durable than the other, who is fragile but has a little surprise captain. The Joyie allowed me to use two additional customs for 10 points, and could be an under-the-radar "hybrid" if she doesn't get shot at first. XD Oarsmen on the gold runners were added for the last two points to protect those valuable crew and make rowing home gold a possibility.

Nice build! With that set-up the Dame is really set up to dish out a walloping, with captain, helmsman, musketeer, and cannoneer crew all packaged into one collective cargo space, since Phillipe links! It seems like there's one designated runner in the Silver Dollar, while the other two ships feel more like hybrids, although the Dame is more than well armed enough to fend for herself and function as a true gunship. If the competition gets more serious or deadly, I'd want to find a way to get some extra actions in there, but since you're the only entrant so far you may have little to worry about. Unless any future entrants use this as the baseline or see it as 'the fleet to beat' Very Happy
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:21 am Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
If the competition gets more serious or deadly, I'd want to find a way to get some extra actions in there, but since you're the only entrant so far you may have little to worry about. Unless any future entrants use this as the baseline or see it as 'the fleet to beat' Very Happy

Yeah, different ways of looking at the fleet. The ND is primarily a gunship, with room for gold if convenient and I know (via Pirate Globe, etc) that I won't get something nasty. The Joyie is primarily a gold runner due to her lack of cannons and speed; I liked being able to fit in an extra custom named crew, but she will likely just grab gold from the nearest island.

I didn't really want to go out of my way to get extra actions; I was more focused on using as many customs as possible (only non-customs are the generic crew) and making sure to use the ND's ability to bring in something interesting (in this case a named helmsman of sorts that saves a cargo space on the abilities).

That's part of the reason I may go with something completely different - I wanted to post something, but since everybody can see it now, I may end up having a completely different fleet for the actual entry.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote

There is only one confirmed entry so far, come on forum folks, I'd rather not have to make Ben the winner by default, so let's get some more participants!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:46 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
There is only one confirmed entry so far, come on forum folks, I'd rather not have to make Ben the winner by default, so let's get some more participants!

I myself am surprised given how new this concept is. We have a lot of custom creators at this point, but it seems many of them are too busy with other things (Caz, vixen, selvaxri, cannonfury, etc). Also, I didn't think of this before, but although limiting the customs to two sets prevents people from being too overwhelmed, it also potentially forces them to look at customs they've never seen before (vs. making a fleet from their own stuff would be faster and easier).
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:07 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
xerecs wrote:

I myself am surprised given how new this concept is. We have a lot of custom creators at this point, but it seems many of them are too busy with other things (Caz, vixen, selvaxri, cannonfury, etc). Also, I didn't think of this before, but although limiting the customs to two sets prevents people from being too overwhelmed, it also potentially forces them to look at customs they've never seen before (vs. making a fleet from their own stuff would be faster and easier).

I suppose that's a fair point. However I chose to limit it as you said, so that entrants wouldn't be TOO overwhelmed. XD If it happens that no one else enters, I may make a fleet for yours to square off against, so that its not an 'automatic' win for you. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though.....
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject: An Entry   PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:58 am Reply with quote

The Cursed are here...

(36)
Death's Hook, Ganondorf Dragmire III, Captain, Helmsman, Oarsman

(16)
Quagmire, Explorer

(8)
Lamprey

(Fort)
Dread Isle

Death's Hook:
Cursed: 18 pts.
Link: None
Movement: L
Cannon: 3S.3L.3S
Ability: Eternal, Hoist.
When this ship is given a move action, this ship's hoist may be moved. If this ship's hoist touches another ship, that ship is considered boarded. If this ship wins a boarding party, she can capture the crew with the highest point cost instead of eliminating it. A captured crew becomes cargo worth its point cost in gold when unloaded at your home island.

Flavor: Death's Hook swipes across decks, taking unsuspecting sailors to their doom.

Quagmire:
Cursed: 15 pts.
Movement: S+L
Cannon: 2S.2S.2S
Ability: Ganonite (Hostile: Hyrule)
This ship ignores terrain when she is given a move action (islands are not terrain). Before you give this ship a move action, roll a die. On a 5 or 6, place a Sargasso Sea anywhere in play; this Sargasso Sea may not be placed within L of an island.

Flavor: The Quagmire is a ship crewed by a mage under Ganondorf's tutelage. He specializes in changing terrain to hinder enemy passage.

Lamprey:
Cursed: 8 pts.
Masts: 2
Cargo: 3
Movement: S+L
Cannon: 5S.5S
Ability: Longship

Flavor: This abomination from the Frozen North seems to have suffered permanent damage to her firing accuracy.

Ganondorf Dragmire III:
Cursed: 12 pts.
Link: All ships with the "Ganonite" keyword
Ability: All Powerful

Flavor: Ganondorf Dragmirius III, heir to the fallen Gerudo Empire, has taken to sea to crush Hyrule's hopes of prosperity and trade, quietly raising an army and navy to conquer Hyrule.

Dread Isle:
Cursed: 4 gold
Cannon: 3L.4L.4L.3S
Ability: Ganonite, Fear, Second Chance (reroll ability).

Flavor: Most ships know better than to sail too close to Dread Isle; it has its name for a reason…

This is hardly a competitive fleet when compared to A7x's fleet, but the challenge was looking a little lonely. This is pretty much a gimmick fleet. Two strong treasure runners secure gold (and tangle the occasional foe in a Sargasso). The Hook is off to try and snag foes between using her boarding capabilities and imitation Davy Jones. Since she turns captured crew into gold, SAC wouldn't work effectively, and I wanted reliable actions. Her Eternal keyword means that she can come back from failed raids.

Edit: I took a7xfanben's suggestion into account and changed the crew of Death's Hook.

Last edited by el_cazador on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: