Let us find for you the miniatures you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Every 19 Point Ship, Ranked

View previous topic :: View next topic  
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject: Every 19 Point Ship, Ranked   PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote

19 points allow you to get a lot of ship, but there are surprisingly few options at this price. A mere 5.2 percent of the unique ships released by WK were above 17 points, but considering that standard games did not well accommodate ships this expensive, it makes some sense. Oddly enough, this list is composed almost entirely of sea creatures, which were often overpriced.

7. Lurker Dessous

Strangely enough, Lurker Dessous is a terrible piece in a largely above-average set. The abilities are okay, I guess, but it's neither fast nor dangerous. It has to share a set with the awesome Ophidious, making it further unappealing.

6. Angelica

For the most part, sea dragons are flawed, mediocre pieces, and Angelica is no different. She can at least boast a decent ability and armament in comparison with the above, though her capabilities are still questionable.

5. A Fearsome Creature

Bread and butter boring for her unit type, but the ability to seize an enemy and unleash this many cannon rolls upon it has some value.

4. Gog-Clocthoth

This is among the best of the squid sea monsters, due to its reasonable ability, cargo space, and armament. The superior mobility and adaptability makes it an obvious choice as a sort of strange support hybrid, one which can do heavy damage, before retreating to gold running in the late game.

3. Behemoth

A boss fight in of itself, Behemoth has great potential, and is fun to use. Unfortunately, it's only as good as what it can copy abilities from, forcing you to spend your points wisely to optimize what is probably your most expensive unit.

2. Fool's Hope

It has only just struck me how similar Fool's Hope is to Flying Dutchman. Both are five masters with black art, mediocre armament, L move, Eternal, and boarding-focused abilities. The limited hold of FH makes it tricky to crew up to its potential, but it's a solid warship nonetheless.

1. Deliverance

Ability-wise, Deliverance wastes points on Ghost Ship, which has always been of questionable usefulness. Her hold and armament are respectable, while her base move is way up there for a ship of her size. Fully crewed up, she can make for a wannabe-San Cristobal, with an equal maximum move of S+L+S+S, but she comes in at a higher price, and with less cargo in that role. Still, I think she's a mile ahead of any of the other ships on this list.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Every 19 Point Ship, Ranked   PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:12 am Reply with quote

godmason wrote:
4. Gog-Clocthoth

This is among the best of the squid sea monsters, due to its reasonable ability, cargo space, and armament. The superior mobility and adaptability makes it an obvious choice as a sort of strange support hybrid, one which can do heavy damage, before retreating to gold running in the late game.

Gold running by raiding enemy treasure ships? Sea monsters can't explore or load treasure from islands, and S+S speed won't be enough to catch many runners.

I would rank them a little differently:

1. Deliverance
2. Fool's Hope
3. Behemoth
4. Angelica
-Flexibility/speed, ability
5. A Fearsome Creature
6. Gog-Clocthoth
-Never had much success with squids, let alone ones that go S+S for 19. Have had some success with dragons and krakens. These three at the 4-6 spots feel like personal preference more than anything else.
7. Lurker Dessous
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Every 19 Point Ship, Ranked   PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:33 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Gold running by raiding enemy treasure ships? Sea monsters can't explore or load treasure from islands, and S+S speed won't be enough to catch many runners.
That strategy isn't quite the one I have in mind. I see it as a good way to damage enemy ships until it sustains too much damage to reliably survive fights, after which, its cargo space can be used to pick up some of the remaining gold still in play.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Every 19 Point Ship, Ranked   PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:48 am Reply with quote

godmason wrote:
a7xfanben wrote:
That strategy isn't quite the one I have in mind. I see it as a good way to damage enemy ships until it sustains too much damage to reliably survive fights, after which, its cargo space can be used to pick up some of the remaining gold still in play.

But how is an injured sea monster likely moving just S+S going to get any of the remaining gold, let alone survive with it aboard? I just haven't seen that happen a single time, and the fact that sea monsters are often killed in combat (no dereliction/capture/incentive to keep it alive) doesn't help it's case. It may sound reasonable in theory, but I can't imagine the odds of it working being anything but extremely low.
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Every 19 Point Ship, Ranked   PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
But how is an injured sea monster likely moving just S+S going to get any of the remaining gold, let alone survive with it aboard?
I don't have an answer for the former, but for the latter, it could submerge, keeping the gold safe.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Every 19 Point Ship, Ranked   PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote

godmason wrote:
a7xfanben wrote:
But how is an injured sea monster likely moving just S+S going to get any of the remaining gold, let alone survive with it aboard?
I don't have an answer for the former, but for the latter, it could submerge, keeping the gold safe.

But if it can't get the gold, there's nothing to keep safe in the first place.... besides, at some point it will have to surface in order to cash in on it somehow. Throw in cancellers or sub hunting abilities, and it's just unlikely to work.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: