This is not meant as the winning fleet, but nevertheless I would like to participate and learn:
* it may be a "last" event - so historical importance
* it seems there are only US participants here - so adding me makes it an intercontinental contest
* with the argument above there seem to be good chances for me to get the "Best fleet from Europe" or at least "Best fleet from Austria" awards in this contest - and only one of you can be "Best of USA" ...
As English is not my native language please excuse that there is no story about five captain friends ready to conquer the world or the like. I just would like to give some reasoning for selections and would invite for comments.
1) There was no clear target for the fleet given (fighting alone vs. gold collection etc), so I assumed we want both. The fleet includes three fighting ships and 2 gold runners - loading capacity maximized, so they hopefuly quickly could even support the fighters after gold collection.
2) In doubt I tried to increase speed in an active role for the fleet - should be able to sail away from several stronger participants and/or fight collectively against a big ship with strong crew. Next priority especially for the three larger ships which have a fighting role was a mix of S and L cannons as much as possible to avoid problems of being not able to hit on certain ships - saves the canceler for that purpose. I also brought in some more fire than usually seen here to avoid necessary double hits and may be create follow on damage. Stinkpot used as I would expect oponents ships heavily using single strong crew members.
3) I selected many generic crew which of course kills the combination stories. I understand the Lord Mycron in the setup is not considered very much as sportmanship. Generic Crews allow to speed up all ships, so I would expect advantages against one single ship with strong selected crew. Trigger here is that for crew there is a point limit which requires prioritization.
4) Nobody likes bombardiers here and all seem to considere them too costly. This challange is not about points (for ships) so one can spend points endlessly. Within the group of threemasters a bombardier seems to make sense - and I propose to do so. With Wodin the argument is similar although much weaker founded.
5) There may also be topics with the format/layout of this contribution. Helpful comments are highly welcome.
edit: Just saw that my crews do not match the nationality of the ship - please excuse that, was intended to be same nationality, but did not see easy differenciation here in the setup selection.
edit 26/10: I think I can rectify the crew problem now. As no comments have been done yet I also took the liberty of some adjustments